So, I'm looking into purchasing myself a Tele/ASAT. The only problem is that the stock pick-ups on either the tele's most likely won't fit the style of music I want to play (hardcore, metalcore, pop-mosh styles mostly in drop-c/d).

The models I've been looking at are the Fender MIM Standard and the G&L Tribute ASAT Classic. I figure with the MIM Standard and the ASAT Classic, a pair of hot rails or stacked humbuckers may solve the issue. However, I do not have any experience with these humbucker like single coil's; and I don't know how they perform with heavy gain & cleans.

The third option would be the Fender Blacktop, which I would end up swapping out the pick-ups for a pair of EMG's or Blackouts.

What guitar do you think would best meet the demands I require?
Something with humbuckers!

What is it that is drawing you to the Telecasters if your goal is to mod it to play in your preferred genres?

If its the ergonomics, Reverend has a couple of guitars that are evolved from the Tele shape, and have HBs. The Charger has fairly mainstream HBs. The Reeves Gabrels II has
the new RailHammer Chisel pickups, which are fairly high-output, and may not need to be changed for your purposes. Additionally, the hybrid design of the Chisel pickups works great for drop tuning.

http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/charger-hb/

http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/reeves-gabrels-ii/
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 11, 2013,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Something with humbuckers!

What is it that is drawing you to the Telecasters if your goal is to mod it to play in your preferred genres?

Absolutely love the look and feel of Telecasters! (especially the neck)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Get the G&L ASAT deluxe carved top, it is the better guitar. The G&L Tribute series uses the same hardware and electronics as the USA line.

You might not even have to change pickups at all the HB's in the G&L are pretty nice for stock
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you have some patience, look into Wirebird guitars, The Safety fire plays with these and they look stunning. It's custom made, but not that expensive. They come with BKP's of choice, which is awesome. Basicly, they make tele's with al the modern specs.

Otherwise, fender has some humbucker tele's, just look on their site.
Quote by AEnesidem
If you have some patience, look into Wirebird guitars, The Safety fire plays with these and they look stunning. It's custom made, but not that expensive. They come with BKP's of choice, which is awesome. Basicly, they make tele's with al the modern specs.

Otherwise, fender has some humbucker tele's, just look on their site.

Those Wirebirds are perfect, quite literally. However, I don't have that kind of money to throw down on the guitar right now.
Quote by Trubzzzz
Those Wirebirds are perfect, quite literally. However, I don't have that kind of money to throw down on the guitar right now.

When i contacted them i believe they said it was 2000$ for a wirebird. WHich is about the price of a good Tele from Fender. But yeah, money is always the issue
A bit cheaper than that...

Jon Kammerer's take on the Telecaster is the Dorado, and usually, it would be @$1500. However, right now, he's doing a 30% off sale on all inventory and new orders. Getting a Tele with 2 HBs would be a sandard variant- no extra charge.

http://jonkammerercustoms.com/
http://jonkammerercustoms.com/help-template_012.htm

Standard features for a JKG:

Satin or Gloss finish
24 fret fret board
Multiple pickup configurations with single coils, humbuckers, or P-90's
Case included
Limited lifetime warranty
Your choice of Hard Maple, Soft Flame maple, Walnut, or Cherry for the body.
Gold, Chrome, or Black Hardware

With his sale pricing, that's a customized guitar for just $1050.

The jim root signature Tele has a set of active emgs I believe. Might want to take a look for a used one, or a good deal on a new one?