I finally bought a nice intermediate acoustic, because of its reputation for an unusually high quality sound, I went with a YAMAHA FG730S. It as well as my appreciation of owning such a nice instrument have taken my playing to a place I never could have imagined before. I can now probably learn just about anything with a good tab or demonstration, but not without a very dedicated bit of time to create new muscle memory. Before ever owning a guitar, I spent about 7 years just loving classic rock and studying it very deeply, always being intimidated by good guitar playing, but taking special note of the songs that impressed me the most or that moved me in an interesting way. Among my favorite of all classic rock, is the occasional acoustic instrumental by one of the legendary rock guitarist of the times. Now that I own a fine acoustic and have gained a good understanding of how to play and learn, those memorable songs have become something I can now play and bring to life and it feels unbelievable when finally accomplished. The new Bank of America commercial reminded me of how sometimes I can forget all about a song I know is wonderful and should be learned and just need a quick reminder. It plays an excerpt from Never Going Back Again by Lindsey Buckingham via Fleetwood Mac '76. That's a great little song to learn, the lyrics are very minimal and the guitar work sounds awesome and is likely fun to play.

So in short, I am looking for Acoustic Mostly or Completely Instrumental songs.

Here are some of my examples. Thanks in advance, and if you have not heard of any of these songs, I recommend them all.

Black Sabbath-Tony Iommi-Orchid(perfect example), Fluff(requires multitracking), Laguna Sunrise(need a good source to learn from)

Pink Floyd-Dave Gilmour-Is There Anybody Out There?(perfect example)

Led Zeppelin-Jimmy Page-Bron yr Aur(perfect example), black mountain side(haven't looked into it), The Rain Song(minimal vocals but is great for acoustic)

Yes-Steve Howe-Mood For A Day(perfect example and my current favorite), Clap(can't find a good source to learn this one)

Beatles-Paul McCartney-Blackbird(minimal vocals but a great little acoustic piece of history and fun to play)

Ozzy Osbourne-Randy Rhodes-Dee(perfect example, fell in love with this song immediately as a kid and am finally now in the last few days getting it down. It is like a shorter sweeter Mood For a Day sort of, it requires some skill.)

Kiss-Ace Frehley-Fractured Mirror( haven't found a good source here either)

Van Halen-Eddie Van Halen-spanish Fly(I haven't attempted this but it looks really tough and is an unusual style in many places.)

-Sean
Roy Harper songs are great acoustics.Me and My Woman outro part(last 3 minutes or so).
You can try ELP's track "The Sage", it's relatively plain and has a nice acoustic guitar solo section.
I have just recently figured out how good Roy Harper was.thanks

I think Ben Harper has a similar feel to classic rock or reggae sometimes but haven't heard very much other than burn one down.thanks

Have always heard of genesis being pretty good I will have to check it out.
If you really want classic rock, there is Romeo & Juliet by Dire Straits. Not an instrumental, but one of the best acoustic songs i've heard. But it's open G tuning
Last edited by _tim* at Dec 12, 2013,
Not sure if its classic rock but if you want a challenge try classical gas. Seems like a mixture of classical style and rock. heh "classic rock"
Quote by _tim*
If you really want classic rock, there is Romeo & Juliet by Dire Straits. Not an instrumental, but one of the best acoustic songs i've heard. But it's open G tuning

Just gettin used to how forums work,

Thanks, I actually have considered Romeo and Juliet before. That's a good one.

As long as the acoustic guitar alone is something nice, I am interested.
Quote by zsezse4
Not sure if its classic rock but if you want a challenge try classical gas. Seems like a mixture of classical style and rock. heh "classic rock"

Thank you, this was awesome. I feel like I have hear some of it in film or tv before.
I am looking for stuff like this. I have heard mason Williams mentioned before but didn't hear enough to make me listen. It sounds like a tough one to learn because it is fast, but sometimes fast doesn't mean hard, have you any experience playing it?
Quote by Jimi_bemol
Genesis - Steve Hackett - Horizons

Thanks Jimi. What an incredible song, I am now completely ready to try some early genesis records now. That is exactly what I am hoping to find, and it's funny, I just finally learned a lot about harmonics, as I was lacking there, and that piece has some parts that will probably be great to try and learn. Have you ever learned that one, or found a good source to learn from?
Quote by enemypower
You can try ELP's track "The Sage", it's relatively plain and has a nice acoustic guitar solo section.

Thanks, I had never heard that one. I really like the solo guitar section. The singing is quality, but I think the guitar alone would sound even better. I might have to give this one a try soon.
Quote by chrisseanrod32
Thanks Jimi. What an incredible song, I am now completely ready to try some early genesis records now. That is exactly what I am hoping to find, and it's funny, I just finally learned a lot about harmonics, as I was lacking there, and that piece has some parts that will probably be great to try and learn. Have you ever learned that one, or found a good source to learn from?

I've learned it by ear, but you can find some tabs on the internet. Genesis is one of my favorite bands, but I only like the classic era (from Nursery Cryme to The Lamb). There are beautiful songs playing three 12-string guitars together. Steve Hackett is a great guitarist, incidentally he invented tapping before Van Halen.
TS- Mood for a day, what a great song! I've been working on that for a while...also the Clap, or as at should have been written on the album "Clap" if you can't find tabs I can write some, my teacher taught me but I think I saw Steve on youtube doing a lesson of it, he has tons posted.
Last edited by Tempoe at Dec 14, 2013,
Quote by Tempoe
TS- Mood for a day, what a great song! I've been working on that for a while...also the Clap, or as at should have been written on the album "Clap" if you can't find tabs I can write some, my teacher taught me but I think I saw Steve on youtube doing a lesson of it, he has tons posted.

Yep, Mood For A Day is an incredible signature piece, and has remained among my absolute favorites for it has nothing that can really get old about it and is beautiful and open for any interpretation of its meaning.. After I figured out I could play most of the tabs correctly, I had been just going over that one every time I got to play for nearly the entire session, trying to sharpen up the transitions and the finger picking. Now I am at the same phase with Dee, a kind of similar tune, and all I can do is alternate between the two until I am satisfied with those for now. The Genesis song Jimi suggested has really impressed me, and is immediately next on my list. I didn't know another progressive rock band had their own sort of Mood For A Day right during the same time period, '72.
Quote by Jimi_bemol
I've learned it by ear, but you can find some tabs on the internet. Genesis is one of my favorite bands, but I only like the classic era (from Nursery Cryme to The Lamb). There are beautiful songs playing three 12-string guitars together. Steve Hackett is a great guitarist, incidentally he invented tapping before Van Halen.

Thanks, those are the albums I will look into. I actually just read that about Van Halen, I started to read a bit about Hackett, pretty cool. It's good to know who influenced who. I have never owned a 12 string but am always curious about different guitars, what's is distinguishable about their sound? I often learn 12 string songs on 6 and it sounds very similar.
Last edited by chrisseanrod32 at Dec 15, 2013,
An updated list, I added several I forgot too:

Mick Ronson-You and Me(might be two tracks)
Lindsey Buckingham-Fleetwood Mac-Never Going Back Again(few vocals)
Black Sabbath-Tony Iommi-Orchid, Fluff(requires multitracking), Laguna Sunrise(need a good tab), Don't Start Too Late(need a good tab)

Pink Floyd-Dave Gilmour-Is There Anybody Out There?
Led Zeppelin-Jimmy Page-Bron yr Aur, black mountain side, The Rain Song(few vocals)
Yes-Steve Howe-Mood For A Day, Clap(would love a recommendation tab or video)
Steve Howe-Meadow Rag(like a humorous Clap)
Beatles-Paul McCartney-Blackbird(vocals)
John Lennon-Out The Blue(mostly the intro but there are vocals)
Ozzy Osbourne-Randy Rhodes-Dee
Kiss-Ace Frehley-Fractured Mirror(need a good tab)
Van Halen-Eddie Van Halen-Spanish Fly
Genesis-Steve Hacket-Horizons
ELP-Greg Lake-The Sage(vocals)
Mason Williams-Classical Gas

Has anyone ever tried Totally Guitars lesson videos? Or know how much they are or how good?
Last edited by chrisseanrod32 at Dec 16, 2013,
Quote by chrisseanrod32
I have never owned a 12 string but am always curious about different guitars, what's is distinguishable about their sound?

I also don't own a 12-string, but you can hear 3 in the beginning of Supper's Ready. Also listen to Musical Box and Cinema Show. You are very lucky to hear these beautiful songs for the first time.
Last edited by Jimi_bemol at Dec 16, 2013,
I just realized Steve Hackett's solo album Bay of Kings appears to be filled with these types of songs, there is a later recording of Horizons and the two songs after it have stood out as great songs on a quick first listen

Steve Hackett-Black Light
Steve Hackett-The Barren Land.
I just realized Steve Hackett's solo album Bay of Kings appears to be filled with these types of songs, there is a later recording of Horizons and the two songs after it have stood out as great songs on a quick first listen

Steve Hackett-Black Light
Steve Hackett-The Barren Land.

Thanks again Jimi for introducing me to Hackett.