Hey guys! I had previously put up a question for suggestions for a new guitar. Apparently, I missed the thread which states what you need to specify while making such a request. Well, now here's my question again..

I wish to buy a new guitar.

Budget: Upto 25000 INR (Approx. $410)

Favorite Artists: I lean toward Dream Theater, Metallica and Avenged Sevenfold.. Also want good cleans for blues and jazz and the classic rock tones (Eg. Hendrix) . Classic Rock stuff.. I listen to a LOT of other stuff, but as far as tone is concerned, these are who I want to sound like.

Preferences? - Superstrat Style preferred, Any other style can be suggested. Please no maple fretboard (personal reasons), Any good brand (That's what I'm here to learn), 24 Frets. My current fretboard diameter is 40 mm to 48 mm.. Want something close to that.

Pickups? - Passive Humbuckers and/or single coils.. A coil splitting function is welcome.

New or Used? - Doesn't really matter

Location? - India (Goa)

No Floyd Rose.

Current Gear? - Stratocaster Copy (Some nameless brand. But it plays really good), Roland Micro Cube.

I had previously decided on the Schecter Omen 6 Extreme. But now, since the purchase is approaching, I wanted a second opinion and more suggestions..

Fire away Please!
The Sterling by Music Man Petrucci model seems like the way to go

http://www.sterlingbymusicman.com/jp-guitars#jp60

Or one of the New Charvels (although they have 22 frets)

http://charvel.com/guitars//search.php?partno=2966001503

I REALLY don't like schecter guitars.... so... I wouldn't go for it.

Maybe an Epiphone o Fender Strat from mexico are good choices too (all 22 frets).

In all honesty, the best way to choose a guitar is to go to the store an d play all of the ones you like and can afford. That been said, I understand 100% the "new guitar thing" I am actually going though it myself (again). I have learned that you must safe some more money and get a guitar that covers 3 basic things:

1. That you like it visually. Yes a shallow number 1 point but a new guitar must make you fill exited about playing it LOL.

2. That the guitar sounds goods and plays good FOR YOU (not for any one else)

3. That it has a good retail value. Usually you will out grow your first few guitars (either because they limit your playing, because they don't sound as good as good as you would like them to, of just because you want something different). In this case I consider that any guitar bellow 1000$ must be resell-able. I mean, guitars like Epiphones and Fenders are easy to sell, schecters or agile guitars... not so much...

I hope it helps a bit
I am a schecter fan. The Omen is good, but you might not get your classic rock tones out of it. I agree with the Strat. Not sure about India, but in the US, a mexican made strat is right in your range. Get one with a humbucker in the bridge and you would be set. 24 frets may put a no on that, though as they are all 22 frets or less.

What about an Ibanez RG with a fixed bridge?

I wouldn't worry about "outgrowing" guitars. I've been at it for 20 years and I still have one of my first ones.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
I highly recommend the schecter omen but the pickups are intolerable, with an upgrade though it's a very nice guitar. Otherwise i'd probably suggest an Ibanez RG, I don't know exactly which ones have a fixed bridge. Don't get a MIM strat or something similar, single coils won't cut it for the a7x or metallica, epi's alright but like the schecter will definitely need a pups upgrade.
>Gibson & Schecter Guitars
>Orange Amps
>And some neighbours to piss off
Quote by marianoarnaiz
The Sterling by Music Man Petrucci model seems like the way to go

http://www.sterlingbymusicman.com/jp-guitars#jp60

Or one of the New Charvels (although they have 22 frets)

http://charvel.com/guitars//search.php?partno=2966001503

I REALLY don't like schecter guitars.... so... I wouldn't go for it.

Maybe an Epiphone o Fender Strat from mexico are good choices too (all 22 frets).

In all honesty, the best way to choose a guitar is to go to the store an d play all of the ones you like and can afford. That been said, I understand 100% the "new guitar thing" I am actually going though it myself (again). I have learned that you must safe some more money and get a guitar that covers 3 basic things:

1. That you like it visually. Yes a shallow number 1 point but a new guitar must make you fill exited about playing it LOL.

2. That the guitar sounds goods and plays good FOR YOU (not for any one else)

3. That it has a good retail value. Usually you will out grow your first few guitars (either because they limit your playing, because they don't sound as good as good as you would like them to, of just because you want something different). In this case I consider that any guitar bellow 1000$ must be resell-able. I mean, guitars like Epiphones and Fenders are easy to sell, schecters or agile guitars... not so much...

I hope it helps a bit

Thank you! I'll keep your points in mind. By the way, why exactly don't you like Schecter? Is it a quality thing?

Also, I completely agree with the fact that you must go out and try them all to see which one suits you. But we have only one major Music Chain in India (Furtados) And they didn't have a whole lot of good models in Goa. So I decided to check their website instead, check the models, pay an advance and have them ship it to my local store to try out.

Musicians in Goa are more classicaly trained. Violins, piano etc. Hardly anyone plays electric guitar, so I can understand the lack of stock..

Anyway, thanks again. Will look into the other models you mentioned too :-)
Last edited by shawnkenneth at Dec 11, 2013,
Quote by ryanbwags
I am a schecter fan. The Omen is good, but you might not get your classic rock tones out of it. I agree with the Strat. Not sure about India, but in the US, a mexican made strat is right in your range. Get one with a humbucker in the bridge and you would be set. 24 frets may put a no on that, though as they are all 22 frets or less.

What about an Ibanez RG with a fixed bridge?

I wouldn't worry about "outgrowing" guitars. I've been at it for 20 years and I still have one of my first ones.

Unfortunately, there are no mexican strats available here. I'd have to search a lot. Although, I'm definitely gonna check out the Ibanez RG series. I had already considered them, but the shape of the bodies put me off (Just a slab, with some cavities). And you have to admit, those headstocks look terrible! The omen 6 extr has a beautiful carved body.

I know, looks come second. But I wanna get the best I can for my money..
Last edited by shawnkenneth at Dec 11, 2013,
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_eg_page13.php?data_id=116&color=CL01&year=2013&cat_id=1&series_id=150
The Ibanez S series looks good too. I'm all for the schecter, just wanted to give you another option.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
i've never had any experience with buying a guitar in India, so i can't be sure whether these would be considered reputable dealers. Their prices are lower than what furtadosonlline has, i'm not too sure how confident i am with that... They do have some pretty decent guitars in your price range though, and it may help narrow down your choices.

http://www.snapdeal.com/%20products/musical-instruments-guitars/?q=Type_s:Electric%20Guitars#bstslr|Type_s:Electric Guitars|Price:797,25000|

Link # 2

EDIT: (Maybe these guys too)

i think yamaha has an Indian page, but you'd probably still have to order something through a licensed dealer. I doubt this was much help, as i'm sure your googling would turn up better results than mine did but, eh, i suck at being helpful anyway. good luck with your search though and remember that the time you spend not buying a guitar is more time to save up some moneys
Quote by LuckyBoys91
+ ****ing 1

i've got a point

Quote by Pr0gNut
No,they're to high end for me.I usually just walk into a random building and scream "FIX MY BANJO NOW!!!!" until they hit me with sticks and call the police.

TSHM.
Last edited by saladforkspear at Dec 11, 2013,
Quote by saladforkspear
i've never had any experience with buying a guitar in India, so i can't be sure whether these would be considered reputable dealers. Their prices are lower than what furtadosonlline has, i'm not too sure how confident i am with that... They do have some pretty decent guitars in your price range though, and it may help narrow down your choices.

http://www.snapdeal.com/%20products/musical-instruments-guitars/?q=Type_s:Electric%20Guitars#bstslr|Type_s:Electric Guitars|Price:797,25000|

Link # 2

EDIT: (Maybe these guys too)

i think yamaha has an Indian page, but you'd probably still have to order something through a licensed dealer. I doubt this was much help, as i'm sure your googling would turn up better results than mine did but, eh, i suck at being helpful anyway. good luck with your search though and remember that the time you spend not buying a guitar is more time to save up some moneys

Hehe, no dude, I appreciate your input! You're quite helpful. But it's just that I honestly could never buy a guitar without trying it out first, to see if it works well in my hands..
Furtados is a proper music store, and since I can get a hands on trial, I preferred to stick to them..

I loved your bit about the money :-p Thanks!
well, certainly, i agree with your take on testing guitars first x) i hope you have a great time playing all the guitars you possibly can and i can't wait for your NGD x3
Quote by LuckyBoys91
+ ****ing 1

i've got a point

Quote by Pr0gNut
No,they're to high end for me.I usually just walk into a random building and scream "FIX MY BANJO NOW!!!!" until they hit me with sticks and call the police.

TSHM.