hi, i was wondering what kind of things i would need for my studio-to-be. the studio will be pretty crap as it will be around 3m long, 3m wide and 2m tall. it will be away from the house and not joined to any buildings so i figure i won't need a floating floor or anything crazy. it will be one room and will have drums and gtr/bass recording in the same room as the computer that will be used for mixing.
will i need fancy acoustic foam around the studio walls? or will that affect the sound negatively for recording? what kind of (cheap) stuff can i do to prevent loud sources such as drums from annoying the neighbours? i know the studio won't sound much better from acoustic treatment so i won't expect miracle solutions to keeping sound in or making it sound proffesional, but any improvements are worth it. also it would be preferable if the treatment was cheap as 14 year olds don't have much money.
please respond!
Yowza.....

Quote by Milan Fistonich
hi, i was wondering what kind of things i would need for my studio-to-be. the studio will be pretty crap as it will be around 3m long, 3m wide and 2m tall.

This is very small. In fact, it is almost exactly the same size as my control room. (8' x 9'6" x 6'10")

Quote by Milan Fistonich

it will be away from the house and not joined to any buildings so i figure i won't need a floating floor or anything crazy.

Okay, for soundPROOFING, the basic idea is a little more than a floating floor. It is actually the idea of building a room within a room, such that the "inner room" makes negligible contact with the "outer room." If you were going to do something like that, I might suggest building a room OVER and AROUND your existing space rather than inside it.

First question to you: What are your goals, sonically, for this room? Does it need to be able to shut out all noise from the outside getting in? Shut out all noise from the inside getting out? Minimize at least some of the noise so as not to bother the neighbours? In effect, to what degree do you NEED to soundproof, versus to what degree would you LIKE to soundproof?

Quote by Milan Fistonich

it will be one room and will have drums and gtr/bass recording in the same room as the computer that will be used for mixing.

I'm trying to imagine doing that in my room here. I just can't. I record a rapper here, and when she comes over with her manager and it's just the three of us in here, it gets pretty cozy. Add a drum kit, a guitar amp, a bunch of mic stands, another person or two.... geez....

Now compound those difficulties with the fact that even adding sound treatment (controlling the acoustic properties of the room) will take off about eight inches off either side. You seriously might want to re-think this.

Quote by Milan Fistonich

will i need fancy acoustic foam around the studio walls? or will that affect the sound negatively for recording?

Here is a link that shows how I made my own acoustic treatment - a bunch of what you would call broadband absorbers. Be sure to check out the captions that explain some things.

https://plus.google.com/photos/105151472351939734946/albums/5666851243565868161?authkey=CMqj8aqgrZKZDQ

The materials required were:
- 1"x3" furring strips for the framing
- owens-corning 703 (or similar) semi-rigid fiberglass insulation, two layers of 2" thick. (no, Roxul safe and sound, or pink insulation or anything like that is NOT the right product!)
- breathable fabric from the clearance section of your local fabric mart
- 6 mil vapour barrier
- screws, and a staple gun with staples.
- ABS drain piping (or similar) to be the stand-outs (legs) for your panels
- spray adhesive

Don't worry about it affecting the sound negatively. In most untreated rooms, you'd really have to try to make it worse.

Quote by Milan Fistonich

what kind of (cheap) stuff can i do to prevent loud sources such as drums from annoying the neighbours?

No such thing. Soundproofing is done at the construction stage. Sound treatment is done after the room is built. Since the room is already built, you cannot sound proof it, but you can add acoustic treatment.

The only way to sound proof it would be to build another room inside it, or to build another room above and around it to achieve that "room within a room" idea. THEN you can think about soundproofing.

Here is a blog I wrote about this kind of thing. I strongly encourage you to read it.

http://greenroommusicblog.blogspot.ca/search/label/acoustics

Quote by Milan Fistonich

i know the studio won't sound much better from acoustic treatment

If you do it right, it will sound a DAMN site better.

Quote by Milan Fistonich

so i won't expect miracle solutions to keeping sound in

... but it really won't be much quieter - inside or out.

Quote by Milan Fistonich

or making it sound proffesional, but any improvements are worth it. also it would be preferable if the treatment was cheap as 14 year olds don't have much money.
please respond!

The treatment I added to my room cost me less than $200, I think. Pretty good when you consider what those ready-made products cost.

However, there is NO SUCH THING as cheap soundproofing.

Check that blog, though... it will also give you a couple more great places to look for information.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Dec 11, 2013,

The extemely low ceilings in that room are going to be bad enough... but the super small dimensions are going to TINY if you're going to fit drums, a desk and guitar/bass amps in there...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com