Hey guys! I have a small question for the more seasoned players..

I've been playing guitar for 4 years now. I've noticed that my picking hand changes positions when strumming and while picking notes. I usually don't play rhythm on my electric so I didn't notice it too much until recently.

While picking notes my hand rest on the bridge and usually the wrist moves. While strumming, the hand is never on the bridge .

Is this normal? Should I try to retrain myself to stick to one hand position for everything? if so, someone give me some pointers..
Well, if you're strumming you generally won't be able to strum a whole chord with your hand on the bridge.
You pick with your hand on the bridge because your wrist acts like a pivot.

Try playing a chord slowly and see if you can keep your hand in the one spot. Tricky isn't it?
That's because your wrist isn't supposed to be locked into one spot.
Quote by Livingtime
Well, if you're strumming you generally won't be able to strum a whole chord with your hand on the bridge.
You pick with your hand on the bridge because your wrist acts like a pivot.

Try playing a chord slowly and see if you can keep your hand in the one spot. Tricky isn't it?
That's because your wrist isn't supposed to be locked into one spot.

Awesome. That means my right hand technique is exactly how it's supposed to be.. Thanks..
If it doesn't hurt, and you can play effectively, I would stop thinking about it so much.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
yeah that sounds ok, as Livingtime said.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?