Page 1 of 2
so um this happened

Quote by The Independent
The sign language interpreter used by the African National Congress during Nelson Mandela’s memorial service at Johannesburg FNB football stadium yesterday was a fake, it has been claimed today.

Bruno Druchen, the national director of the Deaf Federation of South Africa said the unnamed man seen on television next to leaders such as US President Barack Obama "was moving his hands around but there was no meaning in what he used his hands for."

Three sign language experts said the man was not signing in South African or American sign languages. South African sign language covers all of the country's 11 official languages, according to the federation. It is not yet known if the unidentified man was using a different method to communicate.
Braam Jordaan, a deaf South African and board member of the World Deaf Federation, also said he believed the interpreter was creating his own signs as he went along.

Now you guys discuss whether he's just a happy-go-lucky joker who just wanted to stand next to some famous dudes and should be an example of living in the moment, or whether he's a malicious fool who deprived the deaf community of an important event, continuing their oppression and embarrassing the ANC and should be punished swiftly.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do

Clearly he is signing in a language that is not of this earth, probably for the exaterrestials inda audience.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Saw this earlier...LOL

Related: why are there different sign languages? I thought all deaf people could use one international language?
Quote by Basti95
Saw this earlier...LOL

Related: why are there different sign languages? I thought all deaf people could use one international language?

I don't know exactly but I reckon it might have something to do with the differences between meanings of gestures throughout different countries. Raising a thumb in one country can be insulting in the other. I don't know really, just my thought.
That's pretty fuccking hilarious that this guy somehow got clearance to be around so many important world leaders. I hope it was just a different dialect, but I think this guy is faking the shit out of it. He keeps doing to same hand gestures, meanwhile the girl on the bottom is doing it totally different.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by Basti95
Saw this earlier...LOL

There are accents too. Not even kidding.
My hard hearing friend confirmed this. It's actually pretty amazing that this could happen.
Quote by soundgarden1986

knew it reminded me of something
While it's pretty shit that this happened at a memorial, I do think it's hilarious this dude was able to fake the funk for world leaders.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
While it's pretty shit that this happened at a memorial, I do think it's hilarious this dude was able to fake the funk for world leaders.

Totally this.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by Dan_5893
There are accents too. Not even kidding.

Whoa. Although being Italian I guess I already know sign language
is it me or does obama's head looks as if it was photoshopped/pasted in?
Quote by Hydra150
Now you guys discuss whether he's just a happy-go-lucky joker who just wanted to stand next to some famous dudes and should be an example of living in the moment, or whether he's a malicious fool who deprived the deaf community of an important event, continuing their oppression and embarrassing the ANC and should be punished swiftly.

It's the last one, definitely the last one.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Basti95
Saw this earlier...LOL

Why are there languages? I thought all people could use one international language?
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by the bartender
Why are there languages? I thought all people could use one international language?

looks kinda like an african Costanza
Quote by Basti95
*history*

That's the point, perhaps sign languages have a history too.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by Basti95
Saw this earlier...LOL

Probably because not all sign languages include every sound/letter in every spoken language. For example, English doesn't use any letters with oomlouts, such as Ä or Ö (both used in German), which are meant to reflect different sounds than the normal letters. As a result, why would ASL need signs that reflect these sounds?
Quote by the bartender
That's the point, perhaps sign languages have a history too.

It can't be as ancient or as rich as that of spoken languages though...not that i've studied them of course
Yeah this pissed my sister off. She does sign language and does a lot of stuff involving interpreting for deaf people.
There are some sign languages that are mostly universal but I don't think they're used that much. A lot of my friends became fluent in sign language suddenly for some reason so they tried explaining the differences a few times. Clearly it didn't stick very well.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
What's funnier is the woman sign language person who got fired from the BBC for making shit up like alien invasions and stuff
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by Hydra150

You really think this guy is oppressing deaf people by doing this?
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
This is actually hilarious.

He just has a repertoire of like 6 hand signals and he just alternates between them. Like I don't know shit about sign language and I busted a gut watching this lol
People seem surprisingly cool with people taking advantage of the deaf.
Quote by Crazyedd123
You really think this guy is oppressing deaf people by doing this?

He's taking the piss and stopping them from being able to follow the memorial, which would have been an important event for many south africans.
But I used the word oppress because it was used in the linked article;
Quote by BBC article
South African Braam Jordaan, the Young Deaf Leader for the World Federation of the Deaf, told the BBC the man was "creating his own signs".

He said deaf people had been excluded in South Africa long before apartheid happened.

There is one sign language interpreter for every 10,000 deaf people in South Africa, he said via an interpreter.
[...]
Blog editor Charlie Swinbourne said the man "made a mockery of our language".

If the accusations that the man was a "fake" turn out to be true, "on a day when the world saluted a man who fought oppression, a guy stood on stage and effectively oppressed another minority - deaf people", Mr Swinbourne wrote.
Quote by JustRooster

This. It sucks for the deaf that actually got screwed but out of context it's completely hilarious
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Hydra150
He's taking the piss and stopping them from being able to follow the memorial, which would have been an important event for many south africans.
But I used the word oppress because it was used in the linked article;

Ah ok, then that guy in the article is an idiot.
I wouldn't be surprised if a translator hadn't been booked and they just got some random guy to go onstage because they couldn't find a translator at the last minute.
I also find it strange how the guy's name isn't mentioned.
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Quote by Crazyedd123
Ah ok, then that guy in the article is an idiot.
I wouldn't be surprised if a translator hadn't been booked and they just got some random guy to go onstage because they couldn't find a translator at the last minute.

No, I think the people running the event probably have more respect for deaf people than wankers like you do and simply screwed up.
Quote by Crazyedd123

The guy hasn't been identified, even people/news organisations inquiring into the interpreter agencies in SA don't haven't found out.
Quote by Todd Hart
No, I think the people running the event probably have more respect for deaf people than wankers like you do and simply screwed up.

Wouldn't it have been more respectable to not have a translator at all if what happened was the only alternative?
And anyway, if they had respect for deaf people, they would have hired someone who could actually communicate with sign language.
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Quote by Crazyedd123
Wouldn't it have been more respectable to not have a translator at all if what happened was the only alternative?

Yeah
someone dun goofed
or it's a Todd Margaret type scenario
Page 1 of 2