bands Hello.

So, I've been searching for quite a while, and every time I think that I have found the 'one' I end up changing my mind.

I'm looking for an electric guitar that can play both rock, and metal, I also need an amp of course. I'm hoping that you guys could help me out.

Budget? - 1000-1250 US Dollar, for both the electric guitar and an amp, might be able to push it up a little bit, if crucial.

Favorite Artists? - Here lies the problem, I listen to many bands, including (alphabetically):
Adelitas Way. Alter bridge, All that remains, Asking Alexandria, A7X,
Black Mages ( One of the main reasons for falling in love with the electric guitar),
Breaking Benjamin, Bring me the horizon, Bullet for my valentine,
City in the Sea, Crossfade,
Dark new day, Dead by april, Disturbed, Dream Theater (Very Important as well), Drowning Pool, Dry cell,
Egypt Central, Escape the fate, Evans blue, Eye Empire, Evanescence
Falling in Reverse,
Hoobastank,
Ill Nino, In this moment,
linkin park, Lovex,
Metallica
PTV,
Red, Rev Theory,
Saliva, Seether, Shinedown, Sick Puppies, Sixx am, Soil, Sleeping with sirens, submersed,
three days grace, trapt, trivium ,
we are the fallen,
10 years, 12 stones.

Preferences? - I like ones that are solid-body, such as Strato- by Fender.

Pickups? - I have no idea, I need ones that can play those bands, and their respective genres.

New or Used? - New

Location? - Kuwait, I need to order it online.

Current Gear? - Nothing as of yet.

I have managed to find 3 guitars that I really like, Sterling 100JP-d by Music Man, Schecter Hellraiser, and Ibenz-S series; in that order. Are they good choices ? I would like, nay, Love to get the Streling 100jp-d john pet. signature by Music man, but I heard some saying it's not good ? Will it be able to play those bands ? I know it will be able to play Dream theater - duh, but what about the others ?

I apologize for the long post, and if this has been answered a billion time.

Thank you.
Last edited by nadim.abdullah. at Dec 11, 2013,
That Sterling would be a great choice, likewise an Ibanez Prestige.

However, for your budget and your preferences, the best piece of gear to hit all those wounds would probably be a used Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 11, 2013,
I think the most versatile guitar on the market (outside of a Variax) is probably a good H-S-H superstrat with a 25" scale, with a mahogany body and neck, 24 frets and preferably with neck-through construction, weighing in at around 7.5-8 lbs. That describes a couple of Carvins that I own, but the same general guitar should be available much cheaper new (and/or used).

My best suggestion for pickups would be a Suhr Aldrich humbucker in the bridge, a fairly hot (9kohm or better) neck pickup and a good, punchy single coil (not a stacked humbucker) in the middle.

Most of these come with a five-way, a master volume and a master tone. I've changed that setup two ways.

I've added three miniswitches on some guitars -- two of them switch the humbuckers to single coils and leave the *outside* coils (the one closest to the bridge on the bridge pickup and the one closest to the neck on the neck pickup) active in single-coil mode. If you have hot humbuckers, these single coil positions will be very strat-like in their power. At that point the five-way acts like a strat setup. In full humbucker mode, you get a combination of these sounds, but you lack one essential -- the neck plus bridge mode of a Les Paul. To that end, the third miniswitch is a "bridge pickup add-in." That works mostly on the forward-most selections on the five-way to add in the bridge pickup to give you that LP sound.

I've recently been wiring a couple of these a bit differently -- I found the wiring diagram from a Gibson M-III (the originals from the '90's). They use a single miniswitch in addition to the five-way and the MV and MT. In their case, the miniswitch activates two completely different setups on the five-way. In one position, the guitar acts like a strat; the five choices are bridge single coil/bridge+middle/middle/middle+neck single coil/neck single coil. In the other position, you get bridge humbucker/bridge+neck (LP middle position)/neck humbucker/enhanced*neck humbucker/standby (off).

*the enhanced neck humbucker position uses a resistor plus an inductor to modify the bottom end to reduce mud.

For me, this is one of the most versatile guitar setups (while being a lot simpler to use than to describe) you can use.

There's one other option (if you have a third knob available to you). I'd very much recommend installing a Chandler Tone-X (google it) on a push-pull on that third knob. It's an active, sweepable frequency mids boost (about 16 dB). Think "parked wah." You'll need to tuck a 9V somewhere in the control cavity, but that sucker, in conjunction with the options that you have with the rest of the controls, gives you an amazing array of sounds.
Just about any guitar can do any genre of music but if you want something that is very versatile I suggest getting a Fender Blacktop strat. They sound great, have a great neck profile, and lots of tonal options. And its in yoiur budget leaving you enough to get a decent amp.
Thank you all for your suggestions, I appreciate it.

I admit, I had to do a lot of googling to understand half of what most of you said. What you suggested, dspellman, seems very interesting, but I'm still kinda not in that phase where I could assemble my own guitar with custom parts, just like I would do with a pc.

The ones you guys suggested seems really great, which is making things even more harder to choose from.
I can't deny that I still am interested in the 100jp-d; would it be a good choice to choose it ? or should I go with an Ibenz prestige or one of those two Fenders ?
I saw a lot of videos about it, and they were all positive about it... Still in doubt though, would it be able to do any 'genre' as Darkdevil stated ? Also, is the MusicMan a good brand ? I read about it in wiki, and seemed good, but what do I know :P

Thank you.

Edit: I'm okay if it couldn't play or get the full effect with it, when it comes to playing those "not-so-heavy" genres, such as alt-rock; as long as it sounds good, when it comes to playing music from bands such as The Black Mages/Disturbed/Dream Theater...
^ If you can get an ibanez prestige, it should be a pretty nice guitar. I haven't tried a sterling, but i'd have thought a prestige would smoke it. a genuine music man probably just has the edge on an ibanez prestige, but it's close- whereas the sterling is musicman's cheaper range, not made in the USA etc.

Is the ibanez actually a prestige, though? those other guitars you're looking at are way below the cost of a prestige, I'm wondering if you're not just looking at a bog standard s series.

Quote by dspellman
I think the most versatile guitar on the market (outside of a Variax) is probably a good H-S-H superstrat

+1- I'm not sure you need to elaborate much more than that some of those things you said would improve the versatility even further, sure, but a bog standard HSH is already pretty good in the versatility stakes. EDIT: that gibson miii wiring sounds pretty sweet. I agree with you, the bridge + neck is the one glaring omission from the otherwise great 5-way switch setup which normally comes with an HSH setup.

I'd say it's kind of a toss-up between HSS and HSH, too, depending on whether you need a neck strat single coil or neck humbucker tone more. I think for the tones I'm after personally HSH just edges it for me, but I'm still not 100% sure which i prefer
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 11, 2013,
^ I'm sorry, but what do you mean by bog standard ? As in a counterfeit ? The ones I looked at were directly from the main site, and they were all the same-ish price 829.99 USd. I did not know that the sterling was the cheaper range, is that a bad thing though ? Every review I saw said it's good for it's price. Also, I just saw what the "real" MM go for >.<, I shouldn't go that high for my first :P

I'm also "digging" the HSH, price seems nice, and great brand. But, shouldn't it be 24 Frets ? Like the others that I've seen for metal (Schec C-1 Hellraiser/jp100d), and what about those Dimarzio, and curnchlab/liquifire thingies I keep seeing, do they matter that much ?

Ugh, this is so confusing >.<,

On a scale from 1-10 what do you guys suggest ?

Thank you, again.

Edit: I noticed that no one commented on the Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR ? Is it because its more classified as 'metal' ? I think I kinda like it aswell
Quote by JustRooster
That Sterling would be a great choice, likewise an Ibanez Prestige.

However, for your budget and your preferences, the best piece of gear to hit all those wounds would probably be a used Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier.

This. I recommend either one of those. Or the amp.

Once I switched to a real decent amp I found it makes a huge difference in tone/sounds. More so then a guitar would.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
I love my Prestige Ibanez. Haven't tried a Stirling though
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Dave_Mc

I'd say it's kind of a toss-up between HSS and HSH, too, depending on whether you need a neck strat single coil or neck humbucker tone more. I think for the tones I'm after personally HSH just edges it for me, but I'm still not 100% sure which i prefer

Actually, I also have a couple of HSS guitars, and I've tossed a DiMarzio Fast Track II in the neck of one of them and the other has a Hot Rails in that spot. The DiMarzio is just killer there, the Hot Rails just so-so. Both are humbucker (the DiMarzio is 18Kohm, I think) rail-style pickups. I think the smaller size may actually clear up a bit of mud that you can get with full-size 'buckers in that position. The other piece of good news with an HSS guitar is that if you're one of those people who catches your pick on pickups, you have a smaller target area <G>.
Quote by nadim.abdullah.
Thank you all for your suggestions, I appreciate it.

I admit, I had to do a lot of googling to understand half of what most of you said. What you suggested, dspellman, seems very interesting, but I'm still kinda not in that phase where I could assemble my own guitar with custom parts, just like I would do with a pc.

There's No Assembly Required -- good HSH guitars litter the landscape. The modifications just involve a bit of wiring tweakage, and if you know *anyone* who does that, it's easy-squeezy.
My friend has an Ibanez S-Series which I've played lots, it's a really nice guitar but I'd recommend playing one first, given that I know a few people who really don't like its feel. I'm not it's greatest fan feel-wise but it produces a great sound, and although it leans to metal over rock, it's not impossible to play either on if you tone down the distortion and play a little less aggressively! I'm not the best person to judge but it's a good solid guitar from the experience I do have. I'd definitely check one out first though if I were you.
It's all about the amp.

Pretty much any guitar in the world can do those tones if you're running it through a Mesa Dual or Triple Rectifier.

The guitar doesn't define the genre, your playing style and your amp do.

The Peavey JSX will get there on a budget, as will the Ultra Plus.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
...good HSH guitars litter the landscape...

The Reverend Gil Parris II is a very nice HSH guitar, as is its predecessor, the Gil Parris I.

GP II
http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/gil-parris-ii/

GP I
http://reverb.com/item/12364-reverend-gil-parris-signature-black?utm_medium=GPLA&utm_source=SEM

Godin has a couple of nice ones:

xtSA
http://godinguitars.com/godinxtsap.htm

Freeway SA
http://godinguitars.com/godinfreewaysap.htm
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 11, 2013,
The BC Rich Mockingbird ST has a lot of versatility..you can cover a lot of genres with it.

Control knobs:

2 volumes
1 tone
1 three-way toggle for pickups
3 mini switches - 2 pickup coil taps, and a reverse phase
5 position varitone tone filter

You can get them with a Floyd or without.. ST has a Floyd, the STQ is a hardtail. Should leave you $500 to $700 left for an amp.

On Ebay there's a Mint Condition Mesa Boogie Express that should be good for what you want to play:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mesa-Boogie-Express-5-25-1x10-25-watt-Guitar-combo-amp-MINT-COND-/370942329942?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item565de2c456

Vid of the Mockingbird:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6wk6xigEjU
Quote by nadim.abdullah.
^ I'm sorry, but what do you mean by bog standard ? As in a counterfeit ? The ones I looked at were directly from the main site, and they were all the same-ish price 829.99 USd. I did not know that the sterling was the cheaper range, is that a bad thing though ? Every review I saw said it's good for it's price. Also, I just saw what the "real" MM go for >.<, I shouldn't go that high for my first :P

I'm also "digging" the HSH, price seems nice, and great brand. But, shouldn't it be 24 Frets ? Like the others that I've seen for metal (Schec C-1 Hellraiser/jp100d), and what about those Dimarzio, and curnchlab/liquifire thingies I keep seeing, do they matter that much ?

Ugh, this is so confusing >.<,

On a scale from 1-10 what do you guys suggest ?

Thank you, again.

Edit: I noticed that no one commented on the Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR ? Is it because its more classified as 'metal' ? I think I kinda like it aswell

Sorry for being ambiguous

No, not counterfeit. But the prestige ones are only certain models- they're the dearer ones, and are made in japan. They say "prestige" on the headstock, so it should be fairly easy to tell whether the guitar you're looking at is prestige or not.

The non-prestige ones are normally made in korea, china, indonesia etc.- not japan. They're not as good, basically, but are a lot cheaper.

Ibanez RG series guitars have 24 frets, if you care. With them it's arguably even more important to get a prestige because the trems are better on the prestiges, whereas on the S series the trems are more similar across the whole range (or at least that used to be the case, it may have changed now ).

Quote by dspellman
Actually, I also have a couple of HSS guitars, and I've tossed a DiMarzio Fast Track II in the neck of one of them and the other has a Hot Rails in that spot. The DiMarzio is just killer there, the Hot Rails just so-so. Both are humbucker (the DiMarzio is 18Kohm, I think) rail-style pickups. I think the smaller size may actually clear up a bit of mud that you can get with full-size 'buckers in that position. The other piece of good news with an HSS guitar is that if you're one of those people who catches your pick on pickups, you have a smaller target area <G>.

I haven't tried the fast track II, but I'm not too fussed on the hot rails in the neck. I find it's actually muddier than a full-sized humbucker- its EQ is way to warm for my ears. It's like they overcompensated for the single coil size's brighter tone.

I'll keep an eye out for the fast track II, I like the look of a rails type neck pickup (especially if it's an 80s style HS guitar ), but I haven't tried a rails pickup I've really liked
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thank you all for your replies

I guess I'll go with the HSS, the prestige is a bit over the budget >.<

Still no one said anything about the Schecter c-1 Hellraiser fr ?

And about the amp, are there any other alternatives to the Meesa/Boogie Dual ? They seem to be expensive, and I really don't want a "used" one, especially if I were to order from eBay.

Is the Vyper 30, Blackstar HT-5R Combo 1 x 12 a good alternative to the boogie ? Knowning that I can't get one of them big amps for two reasons, 1- I'm having a hard time finding an ebay seller that ships to Kuwait, and if it is possible; it will be very expensive. And 2- I'll be playing in my room, in an apartment; mostly with the headphones, therefore I'm not going to use a lot of watts.

Thank you.
Hi, although my user name mentions Madras I'm not Indian and have no real connection to India being English but surprise, surprise I live in Kuwait and I collect guitars.

Have you tried the various guitar shops in Kuwait? In Salmyia there are at least three. One supplies Ibanez, another has Vox guitars and the third had Yamaha, Squier, Fender and Jackson.

All carry amps, with the small Salmeen shop carrying Vox VT amps which are excellent for the price. The Panasonic shop even had a Vox AC30H2 which I grabbed recently.

The prices tend to be quite good especially with the Yamaha and Squier ranges which run at about the same price as the US.

Just a thought, you may want to try locally as there is some decent equipment available these days and you can actually try it out.
I've been reluctant to visit Yamaha, I know that they sell excellent drum sets and other instruments - or at leas they did couple of years ago, not sure if the shop still existed, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't find the ones that I liked.

I did go to Salmeen shop, and tbh; they seemed bit "oldish", as in they were all show-cased, who knows how many person has touched them and played with them, therefore I wanted to stay away from that place. Besides, I didn't find the ones that I liked.

But I'll check around, since it's almost weekend.

I still have no idea which Amp to go for, I've read that Blackstar HT-20 or a Line 6 tube amps are good to go with, as I stated in my previous post; the meesa is out of my price range.

Thanks for the reminder.
Last edited by nadim.abdullah. at Dec 12, 2013,
Quote by nadim.abdullah.
I've been reluctant to visit Yamaha, I know that they sell excellent drum sets and other instruments - or at leas they did couple of years ago, not sure if the shop still existed, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't find the ones that I liked.

I did go to Salmeen shop, and tbh; they seemed bit "oldish", as in they were all show-cased, who knows how many person has touched them and played with them, therefore I wanted to stay away from that place. Besides, I didn't find the ones that I liked.

But I'll check around, since it's almost weekend.

I still have no idea which Amp to go for, I've read that Blackstar HT-20 or a Line 6 tube amps are good to go with, as I stated in my previous post; the meesa is out of my price range.

Thanks for the reminder.

The old Salmeen shop was a bit like that but the very small new one is all new boxed items and those Vox VT amps are excellent. I own one! The Adwaliah shops in salmiya and Hawalli have lots of new stock, especially Yamaha, Fender, Jackson products. Yamaha have also opened a Music Square in The Avenues, they have numerous Strat (Pacifica) models with various pick up configurations.
Last edited by ReaL Madras at Dec 12, 2013,
Quote by nadim.abdullah.

Still no one said anything about the Schecter c-1 Hellraiser fr ?

Nice guitar. Nothing wrong with it at all (how's that for damning it with faint praise <G>?). Seriously -- Schecter here in the US has a Burbank facility that takes all of the guitars as they come off the boat and inspects and sets them up (it says here) before sending them on to the music stores. They're well built, sound great, and they're ubiquitous.

Quote by nadim.abdullah.
Is the Vyper 30, Blackstar HT-5R Combo 1 x 12 a good alternative to the boogie ? Knowning that I can't get one of them big amps for two reasons, 1- I'm having a hard time finding an ebay seller that ships to Kuwait, and if it is possible; it will be very expensive. And 2- I'll be playing in my room, in an apartment; mostly with the headphones, therefore I'm not going to use a lot of watts.

If you're doing the headphone thing, you'd better make sure that the amp even has a headphone output (no, you can't use the speaker output unless you want to fry headphones/amp). Tube amps are, honestly, probably a bad choice for an apartment and a non-starter (for the most part) if you're going to be working with headphones. There's no point in a tube amp if you can't crank it, and not much bigger than 1/2 watt can be cranked in an apartment (and even then you'll be throwing a blanket over it). Solid state amps make more sense, and most of those have modeling front ends (the Line 6 Spiders, the Fender Mustangs), and you can run them with headphones. I'm actually using a Line 6 Pod HD (the little bean-shaped model) for a lot of my practice. You can tuck the thing into a case or a gig bag pocket (there's just a small wall wart that goes with it) and take it anywhere. I'm running it out to a pretty wide variety of powered speakers (or a power amp plus passive speakers), depending on use. But at the low end, I'm running it into a pair of KRK Rokit 8 Gen 2's (they've recently been deposed by the Gen3's and have been on sale for $150 or less, each) for in-house use when it's okay to run a bit of sound. The Rokits put out about 80-90W each, but they're designed for near-field recording monitor use. Great speakers for other uses, such as TV listening, recording, computer, etc. Very good bass (and there's are KRK subwoofers available if you really want to rattle the walls) and very clean sound (so it'll cleanly reproduce the very dirty sound your Pod and guitar are putting out <G>.
Well, thank you everyone for your answers and help!

I'll cruise around and try them out!

I appreciate the help, take care
Quote by nadim.abdullah.
Well, thank you everyone for your answers and help!

I'll cruise around and try them out!

I appreciate the help, take care

Post a new gear day thread when you get what you're after!
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I find the lack of amps mentioned disturbing.

He has NO gear, so chances are he gets a low to mid gain amp, only to end up with getting not even close to metal tone, even if he has the most metal guitar out there.

I don't have knowledge of todays market, but I just fell this had to be mentioned.

TS you might want to make a separate thread for an amp over at the amp forum.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Dec 12, 2013,
I don't agree that there's no point in a tube amp if you can't crank it- but if you are playing at whisper apartment levels then they're probably not the best idea, the vypyr is probably the safer choice.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Here's a nice used Fernandes HSH from when such guitars Ruled The Earth:

https://reverb.com/item/45788-fernandes-atr-150-1996-amber-burst-3d

Oddly, though, it looks quite similar to this on on my local CL...

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/msg/4228767169.html

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 12, 2013,
If you can find a used Music Man JP6, you'll get extremely far. They're some of the most versatile guitars out there
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
Quote by xxdarrenxx

He has NO gear, so chances are he gets a low to mid gain amp, only to end up with getting not even close to metal tone, even if he has the most metal guitar out there.

I don't have knowledge of todays market, but I just fell this had to be mentioned.

Since he mentioned rock and metal, and since he's going to be looking to do a lot of headphone playing, there really didn't seem to be a point in aiming him at an amp (within his budget) that was primarily high gain, and probably not a tube version. Certainly there have been whole albums done with the modelers mentioned (talk to Dino Cazares of Fear Factory, et al, for example). They certainly DO do high-gain, and very well indeed.
One option is to use a portable digital modeler until you have a serious budget and clear idea of what you want in an amp.

Boss Micro-BR 4 track
http://www.guitarcenter.com/-i1169092.gc

Boss Micro-BR 80
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BR80/

Pocket POD
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Pocket-POD-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor-104391875-i1173933.gc

Tascam GT-R1
http://www.guitarcenter.com/TASCAM-GT-R1-Portable-Guitar-Bass-Recorder-105125306-i1401677.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/TASCAM-DR-1-GT-R1-Accessory-Kit-105020473-i1402140.gc

Korg Pandora Mini
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-Pandora-Mini-PXMINI-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor-H70754-i1746466.gc

Korg Px4
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-Pandora-PX4D-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor-103381554-i1124641.gc

Korg Pandora Stomp
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PandoraSTOr/

Korg Px5
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-Pandora-PX5D-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor-104821715-i1387080.gc

Here is a visual comparison of (left to right) Tascam, my PX-5 and one of my Px4s to my old Aiwa cassette player:

Only the Tascam has decent acoustic recording capacity. All DO have features like tuners, metronomes, drum synthesizers, and digital amp & pedal modeling.

So with decent headphones, you can rock out like you were playing Texas Stadium. And yes, they are all about the size of an old Walkman.

The ones I own: the Tascam has the external mics, a phrase trainer (loop & slow down stuff for practicing), and takes SD cards. Both it and the PX5 can connect directly to your computer via a USB port. The PX4 is discontinued, but it can still be easily found. It is less powerful than the PX5, but, oddly, the PX5 does not have a belt/strap hook.

The ones I don't own: The Line6 PocketPOD is, I believe, the most popular device like this; the Boss might be the most powerful (and priciest); the Pandora Mini is the smallest (its about the size of a stack of business cards), cheapest, and least powerful.