Well a common question arises. But I'm not going for the session musician or a rock star dream. I actually mean ideas along the lines of:

1. teaching music locally.
2. teaching music on youtube/earning from adsense
3. reviewing gear/software on youtube/adsense
4. fixing/settingup instruments
5. playing small gigs
6. selling merch (what merch? ideas?)
7. ???

continue the list and help me get ideas of how I can get some side money.

go play music on a popular street
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
7. Having a day job
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
you mean how once can earn money in the music industry?

booped into Musician's Talk
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Vendetta V
Why thank you kind sir. I didn't actually realize it belonged here. saved me the trouble

I don't know how well the thread will go, but you'll get slightly fewer suggestions to work in the exciting fields of prostitution and narcotics distribution in MT, I should think.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Maybe self release a bandcamp album. You'll possibly make enough for a beer or two.
Lease and sell your music to videogame and animation companies, I have a friend who makes 1800 to 3000 per song doing this. I do it too, but I've only gotten close to that amount once.

Hell the dude who made that short theme song in 007 golden eye made millions off that short bit because he got like 20 cents per copy printed or something like that.

Video game companies don't come to me much though, and a lot are non-profit, so I have an interview for a 2nd job thursday, so I'll likely be working 2 jobs on top of that.

Quote by innovine
Maybe self release a bandcamp album. You'll possibly make enough for a beer or two.

I average 250 dollars a year on bandcamp, 100 on itunes. 6 of my 7 albums are pay what you want. I've never even played a live show with my music.

I don't normally like throwing out these numbers, but I want to show even with my mediocre instrumental music, I can at least make back the money I spend on gear. It's all about marketing, target audience, and knowing where to look.

Also I have 300,000+ views on youtube, and I've made about 10 adsense dollars, which google has a threshold of 100 dollars, it's also very picky, and they want to confirm your number, address, all kinds of crap, adsense alone is impossible to profit off of, that's why most youtubers who make any amount partner with a 3rd party company. It's not impossible, but I find this is where you'd see the least amount of money.

In fact this question is asked so much I think I'm gonna submit a lesson to the UG columns/lesson section.
Last edited by stratkat at Dec 11, 2013,
Quote by Tempoe
Selling stock audio

Audio Jungle I hear is a good site for this, but they have really high standards, every piece of audio is reviewed, and seems geared towards film and animation scores.
What sort of promotional efforts do you need to put in to make $200 dollars on bandcamp?
Quote by stratkat
Lease and sell your music to videogame and animation companies, I have a friend who makes 1800 to 3000 per song doing this. I do it too, but I've only gotten close to that amount once.

Hell the dude who made that short theme song in 007 golden eye made millions off that short bit because he got like 20 cents per copy printed or something like that.

Video game companies don't come to me much though, and a lot are non-profit, so I have an interview for a 2nd job thursday, so I'll likely be working 2 jobs on top of that.

I average 250 dollars a year on bandcamp, 100 on itunes. 6 of my 7 albums are pay what you want. I've never even played a live show with my music.

I don't normally like throwing out these numbers, but I want to show even with my mediocre instrumental music, I can at least make back the money I spend on gear. It's all about marketing, target audience, and knowing where to look.

Also I have 300,000+ views on youtube, and I've made about 10 adsense dollars, which google has a threshold of 100 dollars, it's also very picky, and they want to confirm your number, address, all kinds of crap, adsense alone is impossible to profit off of, that's why most youtubers who make any amount partner with a 3rd party company. It's not impossible, but I find this is where you'd see the least amount of money.

In fact this question is asked so much I think I'm gonna submit a lesson to the UG columns/lesson section.

Hey man, I'm actually interested. How do you go about leasing out your material? How do you get in touch with game/movie makers?

I write epic music and whatnot but I don't know how to get in touch with people who might be interested really.

Other than that. I do adsense on youtube and I earn a bit. started a few months ago and it's slowly getting more and more every month. haven't passed the threshold yet though.

I also sell actual CDs. downloads didn't turn out to be succesful for me but actual CDs bring a bit money too. Actually 3 digit numbers but in the sub 500 domain per year.

All this is good side money but basically I have a lot of time left free which I am willing to put into work.

Sadly where I live currently. I am a resident but don't have the right to work here full time jobs. So getting a regular job is sadly not possible for me. I am going to a few companies to suggest my tutoring skills and hopefully we can sort out some deals hopefully. Regardless, I don't wanna rely on that only and am looking for as many ideas and suggestions as possible
A lot of music, and sound effects, foley etc for games is contracted project-based work, not full time. Send some demos to game developer companies and see if you get any response.
Might not be possible for everyone, but I have a band practice room which I rent out. I was using it for my own band and thought that I could earn a little extra if I made it available to others too. Works pretty well I have to say, very minimal work (let people in, let them out, clean up once in a blue moon). You do get some wear and tear, but it defo turns a profit. I also hire equipment for gigs. With the practice room, I've built up a customer base, and they want to rent equipment now and again - this again involves wear and tear. Now I'm also branching out into multi-track recording (have always done it, just never offered it as a service).

One thing - I'm not running a full pro studio here - just a simple set up, but I've priced accordingly so I get repeat business on all of it. Also do occasional lessons. Wont be quitting my day job just quite yet - but its making a difference, when I add in gigs !

Also thinking of branching into radio jingles, but also intrigued with the threads here about game music, etc.

I've also heard of people writing music for people. Ie, write a piece of music for someones birthday, etc. If you look around on the internet you'll see what I mean.

Cheers

Hoos
Quote by Vendetta V
Hey man, I'm actually interested. How do you go about leasing out your material? How do you get in touch with game/movie makers?

I write epic music and whatnot but I don't know how to get in touch with people who might be interested really.

Other than that. I do adsense on youtube and I earn a bit. started a few months ago and it's slowly getting more and more every month. haven't passed the threshold yet though.

I also sell actual CDs. downloads didn't turn out to be succesful for me but actual CDs bring a bit money too. Actually 3 digit numbers but in the sub 500 domain per year.

All this is good side money but basically I have a lot of time left free which I am willing to put into work.

Sadly where I live currently. I am a resident but don't have the right to work here full time jobs. So getting a regular job is sadly not possible for me. I am going to a few companies to suggest my tutoring skills and hopefully we can sort out some deals hopefully. Regardless, I don't wanna rely on that only and am looking for as many ideas and suggestions as possible

A lot of the first ones I saw advertisements in the newgrounds audio portal/forum, or they contacted me, on there, though it's not as prevalent anymore. Gamesutra is a huge wanted ad website with an audio section, but some of the ads on there are by HUGE game companies (think EA and Blizzard,) and it can be intimidating. I also release a lot of music under a zero commons, or creative commons license, so they use my music in games, and want me to make a full soundtrack in the sequel or a later game if they got a lot of comments about the music. Also you could just create a resume and/or a few demos and just send them out to indie game companies. I also got noticed by a lot of game companies for being part of the open game and art bundle, but projects like that are sorta unique.
Quote by stratkat
A lot of the first ones I saw advertisements in the newgrounds audio portal/forum, or they contacted me, on there, though it's not as prevalent anymore. Gamesutra is a huge wanted ad website with an audio section, but some of the ads on there are by HUGE game companies (think EA and Blizzard,) and it can be intimidating. I also release a lot of music under a zero commons, or creative commons license, so they use my music in games, and want me to make a full soundtrack in the sequel or a later game if they got a lot of comments about the music. Also you could just create a resume and/or a few demos and just send them out to indie game companies. I also got noticed by a lot of game companies for being part of the open game and art bundle, but projects like that are sorta unique.

Alright thanks, I'll look up the said sites and see what I can do really.

john.hoos.3:

that's pretty sweet. Always been in my mind to do that but I don't have a huge space thatd be appropriate for a band. I got a studio but drums won't fit there for instance.
You can get gigs at corporate parties, especially this time of year. You do need a repetoire of good sing along covers, but I think the opportunities are better than pub gigs
Maybe its different in the us. Here in sweden its very common for a business to host a christmas party for the employees around now. For larger groups they hire in a band or entertainer. There's usually a few gigs to be found for good cover bands or artists. Its a bit like doing weddings or peoples 60th birthday deals. After-ski parties is another, so think outside the pub gigs and see what turns up is my tip
Busking on the side of the street is another. If you are actual/y entertaining you can earn enough for a low budget european tour all summer long.
I'd say stock audio is probably one of your better options. I would try and get familiar with sites like MusicClout.com/ .
Paul Reed Smith CE-24 2005 and Santana SE with Seymour Duncan pickups.
Line 6 Amplifiers
Boss Effects and Steve Vai's Wah Pedal
Dunlop Picks and Elixir Strings .48

WEBSITE
https://www.guitarchalk.com
The stock audio market will buy sounds as short as 5 seconds, best sellers are 15 and 30 second compositions. You get paid every time they sell from most agencies. Work for advertising, tv radio etc, look into some local film editing companies, give them free submissions for projects.
Last edited by Tempoe at Dec 12, 2013,
I can add something in terms of the teaching department. I've been teaching for 2 years now.

Here it is; Teaching at a music store for a living can and will drive you absolutely insane, trust me. Long term, private is the only way to go.

If you are just starting out, you may have to teach at a local music store or something for a while, to get some experience under your belt. Be prepared for dealing with a lot of crap for a while.

If you want to make teaching into a productive/fun thing, what you need to do is go private. The store takes a huge cut of your profits and usually (in my case anyway) do a really shitty job of marketing and attracting students. It is almost impossible to get a 40hr work week or anything close (in my experience).

You also have no control over the students you get (trust me, this sucks). Teaching privately, you take home the full price of the lesson and you can pick who you teach. You just need to be able to market yourself.

In terms of day jobs and such,

I would say that it would be smart to get a good day job, keep the music stuff as a side business. Then if your music business gets big enough, quit your day job. Takes a ton of pressure off that way and gives time for the business to grow.

Thats my advice.
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
agreed with the article above. church services are an excellent source of income, but they want keyboardists, not guitarists (unless you play in a worship band, but then you have to split the money). it's a decent source of income for me, and it's great considering it only takes up my sunday morning, which means jack shit to me because nothing else is happening on sunday mornings.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Teaching is probably the best overall job. The pay is quite good, and once u get it running people will stay with u for a long time, it's pretty reliable.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Lots of really good ideas in this thread guys. A really good read on this subject is called "The Indie Band Survival Guide" by Randy Chertkow and Jason Freehan, two independent musicians who are also a lawyer and an accountant respectively. Seriously, read it, if you are want to make money as a musician this book is a very wise and inexpensive investment.

EDIT: This would potentially be a good sticky thread.
Last edited by onelightminute at Dec 13, 2013,