Greetings good people of the Electric Guitar forum!

I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong place, i am not a regular visitor of these parts of the forums. So forgive me!

Anyhow, right to the point. I acquired my new guitar yesterday, a Fender Deluxe Player Stratocaster. Being new to owning a Fender i quickly noticed that i had problems staying in tune, so my question is basically how do you set up a stratocaster for tuning stability?

It's worth noting that this guitar uses vintage tuners (not locking tuners) and a vintage tremolo that i'd like to be able to use.

Any advice on setting up this guitar? I thought it'd be better to ask since i don't have any experience with owning and doing maintenance to a strat.

Thank you in advance
Best Regards
Sickz
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Most tuning instabilty on a guitar can be traced to a nut that needs a bit of work or to a string tree that's binding. Sometimes it's an issue with new strings not having been stretched enough. Sometimes noobs will put too many wraps around the tuners. Sometimes the trem has issues. Pretty much in that order.

It is *rarely* the fault of tuners, except on very old guitars. Locking tuners eliminate the problem of a ton of extra wraps and they make restringing a tiny bit faster, but that's about it. Otherwise, they really don't add much to maintaining tuning. Vintage tuners are just fine.
I fixed it!

Yeah dspellman, i agree on the nut mostly being the main source of the problem. I just went through all the stuff i thought could be affecting it, and it was the springs on the back of the tremolo that was the cause. I have fixed it now and it stays in tune, even after heavy trem useage.

Thanks for your reply though, i will keep the string tree in mind! Hadn't thought of that before!
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Nice to see you here I'm pretty useless at setups but glad to see it's sorted.

Any pics of the guitar?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you dont know where to post threads, post it to the Pit. They always have the right answer for everything.
Quote by James Hetfield
Justice is lost, Justice is raped, Justice is GONE.

http://www.youtube.com/intwernet
Guitar and acoustic bass covers with creative editing