I've got an Epiphone Les Paul which I bought three years ago and in the last few months I've noticed that it looks like the parts holding the stop tail part of the bridge are being pulled out of the body. Not the adjustable parts, they're fine, the bit I'm worried about are the parts that are meant to be secured to the body. The stoptail also looks like it's being pulled towards the headstock too, but I'm not sure if it'd always been like that or not.

Where it meets the body you can see those weird lines which I'd never seen before and have gotten more and more visible as time goes on. Should I be worried? What should/could be done about it?
Those are the splines of the bushing which affixes the tailpiece stud to the body of the guitar. And yes that should be of concern, but the fix is quite easy.

One solution:

1. Take the bushing out. (should be relatively easy if they're loose. If you can't take them out, put a piece of metal down the threaded hole to be used as a drift, and slowly screw the tailpiece stud back inside the bushing. As you tighten the stud down, it'll lift the bushing out.)

2. Glue a toothpick that is broken to length into the hole. Ideally put them in the side of the hole where the bushing was lifting out (the area furthest away from the bridge).

3. Once the glue dries, replace the bushing. It'll be a very tight fit (but a very tight fit is what you want), so use a mallet. If it is too tight, trim the toothpick down with a small, sharp hobby knife, a very small chiseled blade is ideal for this. If you don't have a mallet, you can improvise one by generously covering the striking face of a regular hammer with half a dozen layers of tape. Obviously be careful not to dent your guitar.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 11, 2013,
I think I kinda get what you're suggesting, but I'm not so confident I could do that myself, so I'll probably take it to a shop. Thanks for the suggestion, though, and for letting me know I should actually be concerned instead of putting it off.
Take the bushing out and put a small amount of epoxy on the outside of the bushing and tap it back into place. The job will take 20 min max and then let the epoxy cure for the aloted time and your fixed.

It is super easy or you can pay someone $40+ to fix it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I think it's just due to the curve of the body, mine's similar (Vintage V100)
It's the wood compressing a little bit over time under constant string tension, making the hole slightly larger than when the bushing was put in. Will happen more quickly in a softer wood. Toothpick trick works wonders, I've done the same myself for other similar things like strap button screws, pg screws and the like.