So, I've been playing for about 4 years now and it's almost unbelievable I haven't upgraded from the original yet.
I currently have a good guitar for my style - which is basically every genre under the sun, although I lean to distortion a lot, punchy riffs were my best bet for the first 3 years but I've started learning a few tougher solo's (modern metal like Avenged and BFMV mostly - no hate though please, I own as many Maiden albums as those bands!) over the last year or so. Having said that I'll play anything I like the sound of in general.

Currently I have a stratocaster copy, made by Encore - given the fact I picked it up second hand for £60 it's a brilliant guitar - it can play pretty much any style, holds its tune well, good action, no buzz, pretty much everything you want. Fact remains though, its basically the definition of cheap and cheerful. I've got a hotrails pickup in bridge position which is basically all I use - I use the amp for tone given that I've got a Roland Cube with loads of different effects on it, I'm not in desperate need of anything like that with the guitar.

Quite a lot of specifics are coming up, and I probably won't be able to find anything utterly perfect, but I'd really appreciate a few ideas that could help fit the bill, or anything that you think would be good. I'll try them out if I can get hold of one.

-24 frets is pretty desirable since I play a fair bit on those last few frets with A7X stuff, and my strat can't quite offer me that range. Some guitars have weird ranges, I think 22 is the one I go to mainly. 21 is the bare minimum I'd take like what I currently have.
-Ease of getting to the aforementioned frets would be really useful, like a large cutaway or something since I've got fairly big hands/fingers. I'm dextrous enough to do fast stuff, but space to work always helps me out.
-Versatility is pretty important given the range of stuff I play. I like to keep my style as open as possible in case bands are on the lookout. Obviously the amp does part of the work but this is one of the reasons a strat copy is a decent option for me at the moment; you can play basically any style on one.
-I'd also look favourably upon anything 'different'. I don't want anything wacky, and I'm not trying to be 'indie' but having something different to the standards (ie strat, tele, les paul) is something I've always liked the idea of.

Looking forward to hearing back, anything is appreciated! Thanks guys.
Last edited by The Tempest at Dec 11, 2013,
How much are you looking to spend?
Fixed bridge or tremolo?

Personally I'd recommend something from the ESP line, an Eclipse or Horizon model,
since you're after versatility I'd say maybe a Horizon with the Seymour Duncans as they tend to be a bit more versatile.

And while I don't own an Ibanez, the ones I've played in shops have been excellent in every way... except I'm after a fixed bridge.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_eg_page13.php?data_id=64&color=CL01&year=2013&cat_id=1&series_id=147

This is pretty much their only fixed bridge prestige 6 string, I haven't had the chance to try it because it's not stocked anywhere near me, but based on the other prestige models it definitely wouldn't let you down. The sharp cutaways on the Ibanez's give them a slightly alternate look and make upper fret use pretty easy, the horizon is the same, the eclipse is a pretty standard LP shape but has a lot of different finishes to choose from if you were after something a little obscure.

Maybe check out the Schecter line too, I know nothing about them so that's just incase you don't like the look of these.
Honestly the best bet is to head out to stores and play everything they have which fills your basic requirements. There's a huge amount of quality guitars out there with 24 frets and a cutaway, those requirements you listed are very basic. As for the 'different' shape, that's urely up to you, but you REALLY need to sit down and play some of them to check out how comfortable they are. I own a les paul and a strat at the moment- I haven't found another shape which I find really comfortable. V's for example, I hated them. Awkward bits sticking out, they don't sit on your leg properly, etc. Playing them and talking to the store people will give you an idea of budget too.

It's all well and good sitting at home pondering links and guitars listed online, but based on my experience and that of those around me you really need to play the guitar before you order it. Some stuff can be fixed by changing the set up, but no two guitars (even the same model) feel the same to play.

If you want a cutaway and ease of access to the higher frets, an Ibanez is a pretty good bet. I personally steer clear of schecter as I know 3 people whose schecters are now unplayable (and more expensive than the original guitar cost to repair), all within 3 months of the warranty expiring. Of course that's just anecdotal and there's plenty of others who haven't had the problems, I just don't trust them.

The Ibanez RG series and the S series are both fantastic, but it depends whether you want that sort of bridge/trem system which many of them have.. They give you more options but they're a bit more complex and you need to learn a bit about how to use/maintain them, which isn't too hard it just turns some people off.

If you can't really narrow down your requirements much more then really the best bet is to just go out and try a heap of guitars.
what's your price range? I'm completely and utterly biased and I'm gonna say go look at the Ibanez S series throw some DiMarzio's in and you're away! some are HSH in which you could coil-tap the humbuckers and get a lot of versatility out of it
[Member of the Ibanez S Players Club.] Pm striketalonx to join

Ibanez SA1260
Ibanez RGA8 w/DiMarzio PAF8s
Ibanez JS1200CA
Ibanez S470IB w/DiMarzio Tonezone (Bridge)
Laney LC50 Mark II
Boss ME-70
Quote by im_atheist
what's your price range? I'm completely and utterly biased and I'm gonna say go look at the Ibanez S series throw some DiMarzio's in and you're away! some are HSH in which you could coil-tap the humbuckers and get a lot of versatility out of it

I'm going to hijack a little here and ask you a question since you're 'UG's Ibanez expert'
;p - I wan't a fixed bridge prestige with EMG's, pretty much this:

http://instagram.com/p/fDqawCwind/

But they all seem to be discontinued... Any ideas? There is only 1 fixed bridge prestige I've been able to find, (the one I linked earlier) and it doesn't have the EMG's, I've never had to change pickups so I don't know how to go about that either, if I can avoid that then it's a bonus...

P.S: Sorry for hijack TS
Don't worry about the hijack bro!
My friend has an S-series actually which is a really nice guitar, I've never used the absolute top frets on it but I think the cutaway is pretty big. Trouble is there's just something about it which I'm not to sure about, couldn't say exactly what it is, just something in the feel of it that I don't quite like.

I've played an RG before and was actually considering buying it (second hand for about 300, I think) but the colour was disgusting (and by that I mean sickly yellow). I think I'd prefer one of those to the S-series if I were to pick.

Never played a schechter before but I'll try and check a couple out, although I might check up with a few people on them first.

I also like the look of a couple of the ESP's too so I'll try and check those out as well if I can find one...

Price range is not too expensive if I can get away with it, but if I found something I liked enough I'd go up to about £750-800 or that kind of range. I'm working on a bit of a limited budget, so I'd rather stick around the £500 mark. I've considered a cheaper strat (non-american made) but I've basically got that already. There's a quality difference for sure but I feel the money would be better spent on another guitar...

Not too bothered about the bridge style, I don't really use tremolo much (mainly because it de-tunes my guitar more than it should when used) but I wouldn't object to one there.

Cheers for the replies guys!
Check out Paul Reed Smith guitars' SE line. They're excellent guitars.
Maybe a 245 or a Custom 24?
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Here's a couple fixed-bridge guitars worth considering:

The Fernandes Dragonfly Standard
http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/standard/76-dragonfly-standard.html
http://www.fernandesguitars.com/dragonfly/dragonfly-standard.html

The Godin Redline HB
http://godinguitars.com/godinredlinehbp.htm
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/godin-redline-hb-electric-guitar/620135000872422?source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CM2Nh9_lqrsCFYhcMgod53UABQ&kwid=productads-plaid%255E57304610227-sku%255E620135000872422@ADL4MF-adType%255EPLA-device%255Et-adid%255E30430023627

Both will be well made- the Godin in Canada, the Fernandes in Korea- with hot pickups and relatively slender necks. Right now, the Dragonfly is on deep discount on Fernandes' direct-sales website for a limited time, quantities limited.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
The Godin Velocity is a nice HSS aimed at hard rockers, but it was discontinued in 2011. However, it is easily found used, and there are still new ones out there as well.

http://haightashburymusic.com/godin-velocity-natural-flame-rn.html?gclid=CPmY-cjnqrsCFSvl7AodD1oArg

Others to consider:

1) I have a pair of Fernandes Ravelles, and am looking at getting a third one. Great guitars for harder rock genres. You might also like some of the other Fernandes guitars.

2) I just got my Electra Omega Prime in the mail yesterday, and haven't gotten to play with it much yet. However, its upper-fret access is excellent!
http://www.electraguitar.com/omega-prime/

3) I own a Fret-King Super 60HB, and think it's a pretty good guitar. Their Esprit 5 is on my G.A.S. list.
http://www.fretsguitarcentre.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d383_Fret-King_Electrics.html

4) Reverend has several models you might enjoy, especially the ones equipped with the new, higher-output RailHammer Chisel or Anvil pickups. As I recall, those can be found in a couple of Senseis, the Bayonets and Kingbolts, one of the Volcanos, and the Reeves Gabrels II.
http://www.vintageandmodernguitars.co.uk/reverendsetneckguitars.html
http://www.vintageandmodernguitars.co.uk/reverendboltonneckguitars.html
http://www.vintageandmodernguitars.co.uk/reverendsignatureguitars.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 12, 2013,
Quote by dannyalcatraz

2) I just got my Electra Omega Prime in the mail yesterday, and haven't gotten to play with it much yet. However, its upper-fret access is excellent!

The back of that guitar is well-done. For me, the very nicely-done cutaway horn would reduce the upper fret access from what I'm used to with the Agiles, and I'd want to know how far that neck tenon went into the body. I could wish for a bit more control (and control cavity) room, and I'd definitely change the wiring from 2T, 1V. But I like the location of the volume knob. Don't care much for push-pulls, but if you're allergic to mini-switches, that's what you do, I guess. Let us know what you think of the pickups, and how they compare to something we're familiar with, perhaps in the Gibson family. How many piece is your body? And I'm wondering about the difference in color between the body and the neck, given that both are mahogany. Electra hasn't listed things like the fretboard radius or the type of frets on that page... is there another place to find that information?
Quote by dannyalcatraz

nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dspellman
The back of that guitar is well-done. For me, the very nicely-done cutaway horn would reduce the upper fret access from what I'm used to with the Agiles, and I'd want to know how far that neck tenon went into the body. I could wish for a bit more control (and control cavity) room, and I'd definitely change the wiring from 2T, 1V. But I like the location of the volume knob. Don't care much for push-pulls, but if you're allergic to mini-switches, that's what you do, I guess. Let us know what you think of the pickups, and how they compare to something we're familiar with, perhaps in the Gibson family. How many piece is your body? And I'm wondering about the difference in color between the body and the neck, given that both are mahogany. Electra hasn't listed things like the fretboard radius or the type of frets on that page... is there another place to find that information?

I will try to answer some of that when I make my NGD thread, but I don't know that the specs are out there. I'll look.

Nice catch, thanks!