Hi!

So I am going to be buying a Hugh and Kettner 18 Tubemeiser Amp Head soon and I was wondering what the dimensions are for a 2x12 cabinet?

I was able to score 2 Fender Utah 328 speakers that date back to December 10th 1965 and was going to use them in this cabinet. (Is this a good idea? - I will be putting both clean and distortion through these speakers.)

Here are some pictures of the speakers for your enjoyment
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60964085@N02/10028808395/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60964085@N02/10028841205/

I just need to know the dimensions and also what is the best materials to make it out of?
Should I make it with a 1" thick MDF back and Marine grade plywood sides and front?
(I heard that if you put MDF on the back it pushes the low end through the front more and it will have a tighter bass response)

Thanks for your help!!
Last edited by GuitarzMyThing at Dec 11, 2013,
Quote by GuitarzMyThing
Hi!

So I am going to be buying a Hugh and Kettner 18 Tubemeiser Amp Head soon and I was wondering what the dimensions are for a 2x12 cabinet?

lots of different dimension for 2x12's. sounds like you're going closed back

21" H x 28.5" W x 12 " D - random 2x12

30"W x 24.5"H x 12"D - bluesbreaker style

31"W x 21"H x 15"D - orange

there are plenty more dimensions out there, i got those from avatar's site.

Quote by GuitarzMyThing
I was able to score 2 Fender Utah 328 speakers that date back to December 10th 1965 and was going to use them in this cabinet. (Is this a good idea? - I will be putting both clean and distortion through these speakers.)

cool. nifty speakers, they'll sound pretty old school.

i don't think it is a bad idea, if you want that vintage tone. they should be able to handle a 18 watt amp just fine.

many times those older fender speakers are blown, if you haven't already tested them they could possibly need a recone. just wanted to warn ya.

Quote by GuitarzMyThing
I just need to know the dimensions and also what is the best materials to make it out of?
Should I make it with a 1" thick MDF back and Marine grade plywood sides and front?
(I heard that if you put MDF on the back it pushes the low end through the front more and it will have a tighter bass response)

Thanks for your help!!

most people seem to use ~3/4" ply (something like 18mm). baltic birch ply seems to be the preferred material, but mdf will work fine for a backplate if you wanna use it. you could also just use birch for the back plate too.

mdf and baltic birch are both very resistant to resonance, so they should be very similar tone-wise. the baltic birch isn't as heavy, and should be more durable and more resistant to moisture.

the dimensions of your closed back cab will probably have more to do with your low end output. i heard more internal airspace can lower the resonance frequency of a speaker, providing more low end response. it's one reason went with an Orange style cab, they pretty huge.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
building a cab cab get expensive pretty quick.

Tolex $25
Grill cloth $25
adhesive $7
wood $50
handles $20
Jack plate and jack $10
Feet $10
corners $10

So $150-160 easy is the cost besides your time. this place has unloaded 2x12 cabs in 3 styles like the Avatar cabs for $170ish and they have a coupon now for more savings www.sesmicaudio.com

I think building a cab is fine, but realize you can get used 2x12's for $100 and unloaded used 2x12 cabs for<$100
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
building a cab cab get expensive pretty quick.

Tolex $25
Grill cloth $25
adhesive $7
wood $50
handles $20
Jack plate and jack $10
Feet $10
corners $10

So $150-160 easy is the cost besides your time. this place has unloaded 2x12 cabs in 3 styles like the Avatar cabs for $170ish and they have a coupon now for more savings www.sesmicaudio.com

I think building a cab is fine, but realize you can get used 2x12's for $100 and unloaded used 2x12 cabs for<$100

Yeah, those costs are about right.
Although I made my jack plate out of some scrap aluminum, and my grill cloth was about $40.
And I bought extra wood and other extra hardware.
And I bought Baltic Birch.
All told it was about $200 just to make an empty cab.

There are links in the below thread for where I got some of my supplies and some of my methods (of madness).
(Sorry, I don't know the dimensions offhand).
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=26372230
^^ yeah. a lot of these things, if you enjoy making the things, might be worth it, or if you have some sneaky way to get your costs way down (say a mate owns a cab company or something and will give you materials for free/cheap). But if you're a normal consumer only with access to parts at retail prices, and your sole aim is to save money... you could probably buy a ready-made one for no more money, and it's made for you to at least a (hopefully) reasonable standard.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?