Poll: Accomplishments or happiness?
Poll Options
View poll results: Accomplishments or happiness?
Accomplishments
33 24%
Happiness
70 51%
Neither/other
13 9%
I'm a nihilist idiot
21 15%
Voters: 137.
Page 1 of 4
Y'know, songs that go like "if you only get one life, I'm gonna enjoy the ride."

I'm sure for most people it's some combination of the two, but if you had to pick ONE ("waaaah false dichotomy" stfu) that you lean more towards, which is it.

For me it's accomplishment.
My God, it's full of stars!
Happiness is generally my most strived-for accomplishment? This is perhaps the first time I've been generally happy in my life, and it makes my other accomplishments fall into place very easily - my motivation in all things stems heavily from my self-esteem because it also mirrors how I look at the world
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Your accomplishments should make you happy. If they don't, they're not really accomplishments. For example, if your passion is cars, and you really want to be a mechanic, but you go to college for no reason and get good grades, but your grades don't make you happy, those are faux accomplishments.

Accomplishment is subjective, IMO

That said, happiness in itself is an accomplishment. If you do things that make you happy, then you've accomplished something. And I'm not talking about satisfying insignificant whims, I'm talking about achieving true happiness.
alot of my happines comes form my accomplishment so i guess accomplishments

i dont think i could accomplish alot and not be happy unless im doing things i dont like and then why would i work so hard at them

having said that im not very happy...so...yeah
Accomplishments generally make me happy, and I take pride in my accomplishments, so I guess them.

inb4 the tards who complain about people taking pride in stuff
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Dec 11, 2013,
I just try to not get stabbed or fired...so neither for me.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Quote by WhiskeyFace
Define happiness

That's on you, really. Does your definition of happiness differ enough from accomplishments to make it a separate thing?
If I don't accomplish anything, what is there to be happy about?
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Definitely accomplishments. I've been wanting to accomplish something great for the past year now, which is why i've probably been pissed and frustrated 24/7.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by supersac
alot of my happines comes form my accomplishment so i guess accomplishments

i dont think i could accomplish alot and not be happy unless im doing things i dont like and then why would i work so hard at them

having said that im not very happy...so...yeah

Loosely, I'm associating "accomplishments" with personalities that are significantly goal driven in order to be happy, as opposed to "happiness" which I'm loosely associating with maintaining happiness while not being significantly goal driven.

For my own purposes, that's what I'm doing
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55

+ all my feels
ayy lmao
Well, I'm currently studying something in university that will make me happy. (It also will make me a lot of money to support my family, after my fiancee and I get married, which is a bonus.) So, I guess happiness. I don't tend to be goal-driven.
Happiness of course. The must successful person in the world can still be miserable.
Check out my band Disturbed
i voted for accomplishment, but upon thinking more...i think most ultimately we all just want happiness. i just can't really be happy without knowing that i'm accomplishing stuff (however meaningless those things may be to other people). yet, the only reason i'm doing these things is because it makes me happy, not because they're important. it's such a fine line you're asking about.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Happiness cuz i'm not dumb
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55

Being alive? I dunno. All that jesus shit etc
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55

general life, family, friends
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Happiness.

Personally, I don't see much point in racking up a huge list of achievements if you're still unhappy.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Accomplishments don't mean shit to the individual if you're unhappy unless you end up making a Newtonian contribution to the world. And even then I'd rather have lived happily and in obscurity than be immortalized in school textbooks.
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55

It's a false dichotomy. Accomplishments will not make you happier if they mean nothing to you.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 11, 2013,
Happiness. Though I do have nihilistic tendencies.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by Skynyrd890

Lame
nihilism doesn't matter
Quote by Skynyrd890

Have you read any Nietzsche? You may like him. I know he gets a lot of shit for being 'nihilistic' and thus not caring about anything but honestly the whole thing is misunderstood - he would never advise to simply stop caring about everything and resign from life, but rather to pick and choose your battles - to act fervently about the shit you truly care about and to learn to let go of the stuff that doesn't matter
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

neither matter
This should have been an option for the poll but f*ck it F*ck the bucket then m8.

"It is what you make it bitch"
Whats goes around must come down
Quote by vintage x metal
Have you read any Nietzsche? You may like him. I know he gets a lot of shit for being 'nihilistic' and thus not caring about anything but honestly the whole thing is misunderstood - he would never advise to simply stop caring about everything and resign from life, but rather to pick and choose your battles - to act fervently about the shit you truly care about and to learn to let go of the stuff that doesn't matter

I have not. I will look him up, though. It sounds right up my alley though.

And when I say "nihilistic tendencies", I don't mean not caring about anything. I just mean that when it comes to things like life, what makes you happy, what to do with your life as far as a career, and whatnot, none of it matters to anyone but yourself. Be happy with it, because when you die, time moves on and your accomplishments, what other people thought of you, what house you lived in or car you drove, none of it matters. So be content. If being content means having the nice car, then go for it. If it means being a plumber, working by yourself in your own company so you have time to fish whenever you want, then go for that. So I definitely don't think that you shouldn't care, or that nothing should matter to you. Just that, on the grand scale, everything is forgotten.

/ramblings of someone who is probably using the word "nihilism" completely incorrectly.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Last edited by Skynyrd890 at Dec 11, 2013,
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
Everyone knows existentialism is where it's at, nihilism is for chumps.

Nietzsche is both Though Sartre has a nice bit about 'bad faith' in Being and Nothingness that is similar to what I was talking about earlier
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Accomplishments make me happy. Especially when I'm able to do something I never thought I was able to do and when I finally get it done it just feels so good.
Happiness. I've accomplished many things I set out to do and only a few of them really made me happy, hence my choice.
cat
yes.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Page 1 of 4