Right. I have a Legacy RB400 bass that I inherited from a friend. It doesn't seem great - I've been playing a few months and I'm not loving the feel of it, plus it's not in very good condition.

However being new to bass I don't know if it's actually a decent instrument. What's the general opinion of these basses?

I'm really close to getting a Fender P bass but that's obviously an investment and maybe I should stick it out with the Legacy?

Any advice would be appreciated. I hope this post is allowed; I know the FAQ said no "which bass?" posts but I hope that because this is a more specific question it's allowed.

I await the wisdom of the bass masters
Do you play guitar as well or just bass? If you play guitar as well you could probably make an educated guess as to whether it's good. If not, not so much.

I only took up bass (in addition to guitar recently) so the other people in here will know way more than me. I couldn't find out too much on it, but it seemed to come in a starter pack which normally isn't a great sign (but you never know).

If you're not sure I'd hold off on getting anything, though, at least for a little while. Go to a music shop if you can, try a bunch of basses, see what you like, get a feel for what's a good instrument and what's not, etc. etc. etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Legacy RB400 bass is sold as part of a "starter pack" with a small amp, gig bag, case candy and a DVD with basic techniques. It is an entry-level bass, and it sells for about US$420.00 new. They are certainly nothing to write home about, but they work.

If you are serious about playing bass, then you will probably enjoy a Precision bass a lot more, and that will encourage you to practice. If you just want to noodle about and see if bass is for you, then stick with the starter bass.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Meshell Ndegeocello once said in an interview that having a less than quality bass as her first instrument made her a better player since she had to really work to get the sound she wanted.

My two pence is that you stick with what you have but save up for the Precision. By then you will know if you really want to stay with playing the bass and will really appreciate the Precision. And it will be a nice reward to bring you to the next level of playing.