Hey all.

As the title says im after the trademark 6505 sound but a 120 watt head is too much for me to have. Wouldnt be able to turn it up past 1/2.

So i was thinking whats the next best thing?
Had a few ideas which include:
-Laney IRT studio
-Peavey 6505+ combo and turning it into a head.
-JCA50 (boosted and EQ pedal)

New or used, fine either way.
Price, Around the £400 mark
Current Gear, LTD MH400NT (with BKPs) LTD EC1000, Jackson DK2M(with emgs), ISP decimator, Visual Sounds route 808, MXR 10band EQ, Zilla 2x12 with V30's.

Wanting to go for the typical Parkway Drive/Machine Head/ADTR/Lamb of God kinda sound.

Think ive included everything. Just after a new guitar head btw.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
I'll stick by my opinion that the IRT was lacking in a lot of areas to my taste and I struggled to find usable sounds. They're just hard to dial in I found, which didn't work for me. With a boost (which I think you listed that you have) and your EQ it'd do a 6505 tone for cheaper than a 6505 pretty well.

Definitely check it out, I'll recommend it even though I didn't like it as I never thought it as a bad amp, just lacking for what I wanted when I went to give it a try. But I did try the 60 watt head and that may be a bit different to the studio. The built in boost is pretty horrible too. Absolutely no bass cut and almost a bass boost, would recommend using an external one.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Last edited by Lavatain at Dec 11, 2013,
I'd go for an IRT60, it sounds a little different to a 6505 but they'll both do pretty similar things, plus the IRT has a built in attenuator which can be very handy, especially if your reason for not getting a 6505 is due to the fact that it's too loud.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Just to be different I will recommend a Peavey Vypyr 120 or a Baron Snott Watt.

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Put an EQ with a level slider in the loop and bring the volume down on the slider. It makes the volume on the 6505 (or any amp with a loop) more controllable, and gets the 6505 past the "fill out" point at normal (talking/TV) volumes with ease.

Don't wast your time or money trying to get a low wattage 6505. The wattage isn't the problem or an issue.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Take a look at the ENGL Gigmaster 15, high gain and good cleans unlike the 6505.
I second an Ironheart 60 if you would want that at all, I have one that I love and can get it as quiet as I want. Fantastic amp with great cleans and high gain.
Cheers for all the replies so far

I'll see if im allowed to use an EQ pedal on a 6505 in a shop. Friend of mine has a Ironheart 60h and i do love it.
Failing the EQ in the loop thing, i might get a IRT 60.
Do prefer my 6L6's

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
The only thing that sounds like a 6505 is a 6505. There isn't much difference between the 60 watt combo running into a 412 vs. the 120 watt head running into a 412. They are both loud as F@#k if you crank them.

Thankfully, both models have this device called a VOLUME knob. It is flawed thinking that this type of amp needs to be at stadium volumes to sound good. I enjoy mine at "1" on the post gain (volume). It provides a perfectly serviceable metal tone at a low volume. Granted, it starts to sound even better on 3. I look at it this way: It's better to have the capability and not need it than to want and not have. Low wattage is not ideal for metal. For metal, you want your distortion coming from the preamp while your poweramp stays clean/just amplifying the tone of the preamp without adding distortion. This keeps your riffing nice and tight. This is exactly what the 6505 is designed to do. It is not an amp that has to be "turned to 11" to sound good -- it starts to sound its best at a reasonable volume and just gets a little better from there. More wattage is actually your friend because it ensures that the preamp tone is being faithfully re-created in the poweramp without adding saggy poweramp distortion. Hopefully that makes sense.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
What you said Kailm makes a lot of sense to me.
But you have just made me facedesk several times..

Only reason I really made this thread is because i know my parents will tell me to turn the amp down (they complained about my HT5 head (granted i did use to crank that to about 5 or 6/10)) So fingers crossed they wont be THAT pissed off if i were to get a 6505 120 watt head.

I know the sound i want IS the 6505, always loved it, always wanted to own one.
Think im just gonna bite the bullet and get one.
Then move out asap haha.

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Pull 2 tubes and run a lower gain 12A_7 in the phase inverter. EQ pedal in the loop, volume all the way down.

Or get an AMT P2 and whatever low-medium wattage power amp you want.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
In my opinion I would just get the 6505. At about 0.5 on the post gain it gets a full sound and is a reasonable volume. Anything lower and you lose the high end, but at 0.5 it isn't really that loud. Granted it will sound better with the volume up a bit more, but at lower volumes it still is nice and it gets loud quick.

I do this for "quiet" practice with the 120 watt head with all the tubes in.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
6505+ combos can be found for pretty cheap. It can be a lot of work to convert a combo to a head. I built a case for one of my amps once and it came out awesome, but I had to learn some woodworking skills in the process.

Krank Rev Jr (Pro has 2 channels) can go into 5150 territory more than most amps IMO and you can find them for pretty cheap. Some good tubes in the pre help (Tung Sol RI V1, JJ's in the rest of the pre).
Quote by Tremolo Bum
In my opinion I would just get the 6505.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'll second the krank. It can get gnarley. The irt studio runs el84's so your getting a different tone to the 6l6s in a 6505 or an irt60. Lamb of god use mark IVs which is totally different again. Go with ur gut and just buy second hand so you dont loose any money if it doesnt work out
a few people have said it and ill say it again. bro the only thing that sounds like a 5150/6505 IS a 5150/6505. just get the head and keep the VOLUME low. dont pull power tubes it doesnt have that much effect on the volume it has an effect on breakup. dont get an attenuator it is useless for what we use the 6505's for. just snag the amp and keep the volume around 1 or less and enjoy.

i play a 5150ii in my apartment and i have the post volume on both channels on one and it sounds great.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Yeah, thinking about it. Im never gonna be happy unless i have a 6505/5150 and a mesa 4x12..

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Get the Peavey dude. Really you won't find an amp that gets the "loud" sound without some volume, there is something inherently better about loud music,not to mention that your speakers do play a big part in your sound and playing louder makes your speakers happier as well. I had the combo 6505+, it sounded awesome even at low volumes, even better with a boost and/or EQ.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Pull 2 power tubes and run the 6505 as a 50 watt amp ( the difference is miniscule)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Well, there is a russian Yerasov Soldier, a 30w amp based on Soldano amps (there is also Boggart 30 and Marvel 30, Bogner and Marshall respectively) and since 6505 is also based on SLO the sound may be there. (Check the youtube) Problem is that Yerasov is not really available outside of Russia but some German sellers do carry them and you can order them online.

However they are overpriced IMHO: 700€-800€. Plus the I've read that the Yerasov quality can be dodgy though that could be just internet talk, I hear the same thing about Engl's. However for that money you can get Engl Ironball or Fireball or Randall Diavlo or Laney Ironheart. I think I'd rather put my money towards one of those...

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Dec 14, 2013,
Quote by Robbgnarly
Pull 2 power tubes and run the 6505 as a 50 watt amp ( the difference is miniscule)

My thoughts exactly.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
baron snott watt
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Can you get the Baron Snott Watts in the UK?

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Quote by Carrot
Can you get the Baron Snott Watts in the UK?

I'm sure you can order one, hit them up with an email
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You could use THD Yellow Jackets. Though I'm curious how much that would affect the tone.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by tas38
You could use THD Yellow Jackets. Though I'm curious how much that would affect the tone.

Much rather pull two 6L6's than run with EL84's instead. Cheers for the idea though

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Quote by Offworld92
Put an EQ with a level slider in the loop and bring the volume down on the slider. It makes the volume on the 6505 (or any amp with a loop) more controllable, and gets the 6505 past the "fill out" point at normal (talking/TV) volumes with ease.

Don't wast your time or money trying to get a low wattage 6505. The wattage isn't the problem or an issue.

Ohhh I like that trick!
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
Quote by evmac
Ohhh I like that trick!

I'll report back as soon as someone buys one of my guitars so i can actually buy a 6505.

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
is an attenuator an option?
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
i don't think he is going to be near power tube distortion range on a 6505+. thats mostly preamp distortion. it would make it a tiny bit quieter, but they do taint your tone, and good ones are expensive and not in his budget.

attentuators are more valuable for NMV amps and just amps you gotta crank to get OD. that is when an attentuator makes the difference.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Tremolo Bum
In my opinion I would just get the 6505. At about 0.5 on the post gain it gets a full sound and is a reasonable volume. Anything lower and you lose the high end, but at 0.5 it isn't really that loud. Granted it will sound better with the volume up a bit more, but at lower volumes it still is nice and it gets loud quick.

I do this for "quiet" practice with the 120 watt head with all the tubes in.

Living in a condo I have had 3 6505/5150's, a Krankenstein, a Mark V, 3 DSL's and more that I can't remember right now.

Most have been 100+ watt amps, even the 6505 with no master volume was manageable. You'll need a noise gate to get the hiss out as it's a noisy amp in general. Just turn the post all the way down and then slowly turn it up.

Pulling 2 tubes on those amps is horse shit. All it really does is lower the head room and not the volume.

I'd rock a full on 6505 if it were me. You can try a volume pedal in the loop, I never needed it.

When you take it to jam or your parents aren't home you can really open it up. Keep in mind- room changes and volume changes- you'll have to re-eq any amp and that is normal.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at Dec 18, 2013,
Quote by R45VT

Living in a condo I have had 3 6505/5150's, a Krankenstein, a Mark V, 3 DSL's and more that I can't remember right now.

Most have been 100+ watt amps, even the 6505 with no master volume was manageable. You'll need a noise gate to get the hiss out as it's a noisy amp in general. Just turn the post all the way down and then slowly turn it up.

Pulling 2 tubes on those amps is horse shit. All it really does is lower the head room and not the volume.

I'd rock a full on 6505 if it were me. You can try a volume pedal in the loop, I never needed it.

When you take it to jam or your parents aren't home you can really open it up. Keep in mind- room changes and volume changes- you'll have to re-eq any amp and that is normal.

+311
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by R45VT

You sir.
Are just awesome.
Thank you for the response.

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals