Hey there!

I was just pondering something, and figured I'd ask my fellow forum browsers.

About six months ago, I sold off most of my low end guitars, for nicer "higher end" guitars. What I didn't think about when I bought them, was how often I'd play them.

Now I don't own any rare guitars or anything like that, but I do own a few nice guitars, at least I think so.

My question is, have you guys ever bought a guitar, and find out that you just want to baby it, instead of play it? Now I wish I had some of those lower end guitars, because now days, the lower end ones I have left, are the only ones I play. Just for example, I'm referring to my Les Paul Standard and American Select Strat, both have gorgeous finishes and cost upwards of $2500 a piece.

Can anybody relate?
Fender American Select Strat HSS Antique Burst
Fender American Select Strat HSS Transparent Crimson
Fender American Deluxe Strat
PRS Custom 24 USA
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Parker PDF100
Guitars are meant to be played. You can always use it as a wall decoration, but you'll miss that amazing feeling of playing the instrument you had to save and save to get.

I would only worry about babying high end guitars if you were taking them gigging (for some reason). They should be perfectly fine in your house.

But no, I've never been that careful with my instruments. Maybe I'm reckless?
The gear:

Carvin Bolt Classic
PRS SE Singlecut
Agile AL-1900
Peavey Vypyr 2
I did with my PRS at first, but not anymore. I clean it maybe 2 times a year, the nickel has worn off most of the bridge saddles and they are either all Brass or they are turning all brass. Its not like I plan on selling it, and I can always replace the hardware. It needs a fret crown/level but the action, intonation, playability is excellent.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I do the same ahah! I'm afraid to bring high end guitars to gigs cause I don't want anything bad to happen, and I tend to let them more in their cases at home.

A cheaper guitar is always fun to have, since you care less about it and you can have some fun modificating it or doing stuff you woulndt do usually like playing next to a campfire or let the nephew play a couple of notes.
Quote by CkY freak
Can anybody relate?

Yes I can... Well, I could... I've had Fender American's, a few nice higher end Epi's and even a Guild at one time, but I always got them used.. A few scrapes and dents, but still very nice guitars... Then for the first time in 40 years of playing, I threw down $2100.00 for a brand new Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro, that nobody else has played, it was set up just for me, and it was mine... I didn't want to take it to a gig because I didn't want to scratch it.

Well, I did.... and I did... Not a big dent or anything.. just a little spot on the headstock that no one notices, even if I've told them where it is... but it's there...

But ya know what?... I put it there... I don't know how, but I know it wasn't there before the gig, but I put it there... it wasn't there when I bought it, so I didn't have to make an excuse for an ugly spot like, "It adds character"... So I've made my mark on my axe. It's one of the best playing guitars I have, and once I grew into it, it's my primary... I've been gigging with it now for a couple of months and no more marks on it... There will be more, but each one will have a memory associated with it, and all those memories will be mine. I didn't buy it to look at, or to be able to say that I have one, I bought it to play. Once I realized that, I don't put on the kid gloves to take it out of the case. I take really good care of all my guitars and my Gibson is no exception.

Take em out and play the crap out of them... Get em sweaty, put finger prints all over 'em, and Play 'em... then go home and clean them up, keep them adjusted and all the other TLC you can give them, then go play 'em some more!!...

As always.. JMHO
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
LOL! Yes, I bought a beautiful Les Paul three years ago and it still has the original strings on it!

...I think I'll go and play it right now!
Never thought anything was to expensive to play or gig with, I have bought a couple cheap guitars just so I dont mind leaving them around the house or at a friends.
i made a trade and ended up with a pristine PRS SCHB w/piezo, 10 top, birds... played great, there's a clip on my profile with that guitar. but i didn't want to put the first ding in it.

it sold for a nice amount so i'm not complaining.

but yeah, i can totally relate.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I've got at least 9 guitars worth over a grand, at least 3 of which were over 2 grand.

I play 'em.

Some get played more than others. At least one has a little damage from me taking an awkward step and losing my balance. It is one of my main guitars- a signed limited edition, no less- but that doesn't stop me from playing it.

OTOH, at least one of those high-dollar axes spends most of its existence lounging in a rack or case, and it almost never leaves the house.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
If you aren't going to play the guitar than why even own it?

I have a very good friend of mine (if you hang around Sevenstring.org you probably know who I'm talking about) that has quite a nice collection of Ibanez J-Custom guitars, one of which is the only one ever made. Not a single one of those guitars costs any less than $3,000 and they are all super rare. He plays all of them continuously and will let anyone who asks play one too assuming he knows you.

That guy has no problem with people playing his super expensive and rare guitars, so why would you?
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
I can relate. I have an expensive custom shop acoustic that normally stays on the wall. It comes down occasionally, but it gets babied. You can see photos of that one in my gear pics. I play lead, but I normally use one of my nice Taylors for that - one is $3k and the other is close to that. I also have photos of them in my gear pics. My go-to practice guitar around the house is a Taylor 314CE acoustic - works great for rhythm and lead practice and it saves my other $$$ guitars from wear and tear.

I also have some nice amps, but leave them at home in favor of using a lighter, less expensive Peavey, which I leave at the location we play.
I don't own expensive guitars at the moment, haha. I wouldn't buy anything I couldn't play. I buy my stuff used anyway, so there's always some dings or scratches on the body somewhere.
Quote by KG6_Steven
I can relate. I have an expensive custom shop acoustic that normally stays on the wall. It comes down occasionally, but it gets babied. You can see photos of that one in my gear pics. I play lead, but I normally use one of my nice Taylors for that - one is $3k and the other is close to that. I also have photos of them in my gear pics. My go-to practice guitar around the house is a Taylor 314CE acoustic - works great for rhythm and lead practice and it saves my other $$$ guitars from wear and tear.

I also have some nice amps, but leave them at home in favor of using a lighter, less expensive Peavey, which I leave at the location we play.

Your T5 is beautiful, I've wanted one of those for so long.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
No, I treat all my guitars the same, I gig with the guitar I paid the most money for because I bought it because of the sounds I could get from it.
I play all of them at some point, usually at home if not in the studio, I still even take my '63 SG to rehearsals just to give it a blast on occasions.
psh, rich people problems

but seriously this is (next to finances) the reason I've never paid over $300 for a guitar, because I'm incapable of leaving my guitars unplayed. I couldn't have that $3500 SG supreme I want and just leave it in the case. There are really only two things you can invest the value of your guitars into, your wallet or yourself, to either keep mint to sell later on or enjoy it. If you have a problem with playing your pricey ones, get yourself a nice cheaper one to beat on, you can find a lot of nice guitars new for $250-500 or find even better deals if you're willing to go used.
I understand the desire to baby a nice guitar. I try to keep mine as new looking as I can, but eventually they'll pick up the odd ding or scratch. I think a well maintained instrument tells others how important my instruments are to me (just my personal philosophy, only applies to me). Honest wear and battle scars have a kind of emotional beauty in that there's always some story to go along with it. I really don't get into artificial relicking at all. Again, just personal preference.

I have a couple guitars I don't play much that are actually really nice but what they did do is steer me towards even nicer (to me) guitars that I still play frequently. I'm enough of a pack rat where I do have a guitar or two that's a bit redundant as well. Most of mine are what I would consider "nice" now as I've given away the Epiphones, Agiles, LTD's and Daisy Rock's to friends or their children who I thought might enjoy learning to play guitar but couldn't necessarily peel off the fund for it. I kept my crappy plywood BCR Warlock for sentimental reasons
I have a few guitars that stay in storage (they were cheap when I bought them and have become worth silly money through the years). I've got others that get hauled out occasionally that aren't really replaceable with anything comparable. The rest are in a rotation, and then there are two or three that get played all the time.

Whether or not a guitar gets gigged depends strongly on the gig. A theater gig (orchestra pit) is fairly secure. A bar gig, not at all. I have two guitars that I've designated my go-to "bar guitars." Not only are they relatively cheap (sorry..."inexpensive"), but they have heavy solid bodies in case they need to be weapons <G>. Too much alcohol and too many bodily fluids flying around those venues, too many people with impaired balance *and* judgment. Been there, done them all.
All good responses. It seems there's people on both sides of the fence, which is cool.

I did break out my les paul last night, and my god do I love that guitar.

I guess I "baby" them in case I need to sell them in case of an emergency. My prestige ibanez was my main guitar for years, so it's pretty beat up and what not.. still my favorite guitar. I know I'll never sell that. It has more sentimental value than dollar value. But some of the other pieces, I know will sell better if their in near pristine condition.

It's a struggle for me, really. haha!
Fender American Select Strat HSS Antique Burst
Fender American Select Strat HSS Transparent Crimson
Fender American Deluxe Strat
PRS Custom 24 USA
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Parker PDF100
Nah. I play my Select Tele wherever, my 59 RI in pubs etc.

Get insurance and forget about it.
There is no such thing as "too nice to play".

No matter how pretty or how expensive a guitar is, if you don't play it you might as well just hang a photo of it and sell the actual guitar.
I play all my guitars, but I have to admit if I ever got a gig I'd be a bit wary about bringing the more expensive ones out. that's more for fear of getting them nicked, but still.

and yeah when i first had my guitars dinging them worried me too. i got over it when i dinged them anyway and realised that being too cautious actually seemed to increase my chances of dinging them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by KerNeL_KLuTcH
Your T5 is beautiful, I've wanted one of those for so long.

Thanks. That guitar sounds amazing plugged in. I mostly use it for lead. If you ever decide to get one, make sure you play the various wood configurations they offer, as each sounds different. They also just came out with a new version of the T5, called the T5z. Check it out.
I usually don't spend over $1,000 on a guitar. They see a lot of abuse live. I realize the investment and resale value of them, and know that it'd dramatically drop in higher end stuff after gigging.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I'll trade you my Squier Tele and Epi Les Paul if it'll help your conscience.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
Quote by Mephaphil
Nah. I play my Select Tele wherever, my 59 RI in pubs etc.

Get insurance and forget about it.

I have over 50 guitars, more than 15 tube amps and a whole bunch of other gear. You would not believe my insurance bill. And my storage bill. They love me. In the last two months I've added a Korg Kronos 73, an Ultimate Support AX-90 stand, a pair of MS-90 speaker stands, a pair of KRK Rokit 8's and the Variax JTV-89F and am in dickerage on an older Supreme. And that was a slow two months. My insurance company loves me. Part of the reason they love me is that I'm not stupid about the risks to which I expose some of those guitars.
Quote by dspellman
I have over 50 guitars, more than 15 tube amps and a whole bunch of other gear. You would not believe my insurance bill. And my storage bill. They love me. In the last two months I've added a Korg Kronos 73, an Ultimate Support AX-90 stand, a pair of MS-90 speaker stands, a pair of KRK Rokit 8's and the Variax JTV-89F and am in dickerage on an older Supreme. And that was a slow two months. My insurance company loves me. Part of the reason they love me is that I'm not stupid about the risks to which I expose some of those guitars.

I'm assuming you got that added as a rider to your regular plan? I'm assuming you are in the US? I know several people who have at least $30,000 worth of insurance for their guitars and other valuable items and they don't pay more than an extra $10 a month on top of their regular rates for that extra coverage. Maybe you should talk to your insurance company about it?
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.