Hello, hi, heil, salvezza, whatever you like,

I'm just trying to make up my mind here. I'm pretty much into that open mic/open jam kind of thing since it's pretty fun, but also a hard deal regarding tone options.

Question is, while you don't usually bring your amp to an open mic, is it worth having an OD pedal on the side to get some grit? I always bring my pedalboard, so I have "half" my tone with me...

I really like overdriving the amp and I think OD pedal are not usefull (a lot of you will disagree here I guess eheh ) but if you want to get a little bit of dirt on the stage it seems like it's the only option, isn't it?

I was considering a Fulltone OCD because my only spot left on the power supply is a 18v output. Any other suggestions running on 18v?

Ave!
Last edited by Taz9 at Dec 11, 2013,
Most people here use an OD as a Boost, not as a typical OD. You put volume max, gain 0 and tone to taste. This hits the front of a tube amp harder and helps to tighten/compress the signal and it adds a bit of gain. I have 2 OD pedals and both are setup this way.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I use a Supa-Trem Fulltone as a boost. But I'd like to use the OD as a "real" overdrive for situations where I can't bring any amps.
The Digitech Bad Monkey is nice it has a treble and bass control and it has a emulated line out you can run direct to the mixer
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The line out for the mixer can be a really nice feature in that kind of situation! Thanks
Quote by Taz9
The line out for the mixer can be a really nice feature in that kind of situation! Thanks

The Bad Monkey is pretty cheap also $45 here so you'd have to check your local market
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I just bring my shittiest amp and a tuner and a tube screamer. and whatever guitar i feel in the Mood to play.

As simple as possible.

A gig is a whole different rig(s).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
My band gets free rehearsal time if we practice overlapping into the beginning of the open mike night to warm up the crowd. They have quite good backline amps (Randall RM100, H&K Switchblade, Fender Twin and GK bass rig) so only dumbasses take their amp up the stairs. Most just bring instruments and pedalboard. Other venues supply nothing but a PA so take whatever the **** you think you need.
If you are using their amps you will almost certainly want a decent overdrive.

Bands looking for members often check out open mike nights. It's sorta like an off the rack audition without even having to talk to you. So try to treat it like a proper gig, you never know who is in the crowd.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification