Hey I need your help. I am looking for a twin channel amp head (preferably tube) that is extremely versatile. I am going for a range of sounds from very low stoner/doom/drone, harsh black metal to crystal clean cleans. I originally had my eye on the Orange AD30 but from what I have heard the AD30 can't really handle cleans to well. I am trying to avoid combos as I already have a Marshall 4x12. To make it even harder, my budget is anything under $1000. FX loop would be gnarly but not essential. Does such a thing exist?
Marshall JCM2000 DSL50/100 and get a Boss MT-2 for the black metal

The JCM2000 can do stoner/doom just fine and it has a really nice clean channel. It will not do black metal with out a pedal and the MT-2 is a go to pedal for that type music

And they are <$600 used
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Maybe not an amp exactly, what about a pedalboard like a POD HD500 matched with a power amp to run it through your cab like a Rocktron Velocity 100 or 300. The POD is a great unit, you can create so many tones with it it'd be pretty suited for you. Line 6 are great at sparkly glass type cleans and heavy tones.
Quote by MrSusanHorse
Hey I need your help. I am looking for a twin channel amp head (preferably tube) that is extremely versatile. I am going for a range of sounds from very low stoner/doom/drone, harsh black metal to crystal clean cleans. I originally had my eye on the Orange AD30 but from what I have heard the AD30 can't really handle cleans to well. I am trying to avoid combos as I already have a Marshall 4x12. To make it even harder, my budget is anything under $1000. FX loop would be gnarly but not essential. Does such a thing exist?

I do most things with a Line 6 Pod, these days, run into a variety of powered speakers or into a power amp and then into a full-range speaker system.

I've got four 4x12s that I've pretty much tossed into storage, but one of my go-to tube amps was a Carvin XV112B. This particular amp (still around) was purchased in 1989 (they've reissued a version of it within the past few years). Crystal cleans. Gain channel has everything you need and the whole thing has active controls (as opposed to passives). There's an assignable 5-band EQ in addition to the parametrics and tons of everything. It's a 100W EL34-based combo (also available as a head). I picked the combo because it was a LOT easier to haul to rehearsals. The original 100W "British-voiced" speaker has been swapped occasionally for an EV-L (also an OEM speaker for this amp) and both have proven unbreakable under brutal use. On stage it was mostly used with a full stack. I didn't put it on top of the stack -- just disconnected the inner speaker and daisy chained the 4x12s from the back and put it on an amp stand or flight case. It's loud; it will blow some Marshall stacks off the stage. With 100W on tap (and you can rebias it for 6L6 or 5881s), you have enormous clean headroom.

Current version is well within your budget (head is $599), but I don't think there's a 1x12 combo these days. http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitaramps/x100bseries.php
Quote by AJScott
Maybe not an amp exactly, what about a pedalboard like a POD HD500 matched with a power amp to run it through your cab like a Rocktron Velocity 100 or 300. The POD is a great unit, you can create so many tones with it it'd be pretty suited for you. Line 6 are great at sparkly glass type cleans and heavy tones.

I've also used the Pods with the Carvin TS100, which is a 100W (50W/50W stereo or 100W mono) rackmount tube power amp that will run EL34s, 6L6 or 5881s. A solid state amp putting out 200W is not only a LOT cheaper, but a LOT lighter to cart around, as well.

You'll find that your limiting factor (the weakest link) is that Marshall 4x12. It beams ice-pick treble on-axis, and while it sounds nice and clear and bassy in a bedroom, you'll find that as you turn the power and volume up (at a gig), the bass will disappear, the ice-pick treble will get worse, and you'll have mostly mud at the bottom end.
Quote by MrSusanHorse

Are you going to be gigging with it?
[..BLACKFIRE..]