I want to start recording studio quality guitar covers for YouTube. I want as high quality as I can get for as little money as I can. I'm willing to spend but I don't want to if I don't have to. I previously had been doing guitar covers a couple years back. As I've matured I realize that they sound terrible now. Lol. I'm pretty much going to be buying every single thing needed (AI, DAW, any plug ins, impulses etc, computer, camera, speakers, EVERYTHING)
Also I am strictly going to just be recording guitar by myself for YouTube.

My current setup: Gibson Les Paul studio, line 6 pod gx, pod farm and audacity. I know that gets the job done but I want amazing quality.

What I'm shooting for: my Gibson, pro tools 11, Pod HD Pro, and then various impulses and plugins that I would buy from professional studios, (such as Andrew wade's impulses or Joey sturgis' guitar sims)

What I'm realistically going to get: Gibson, reaper, Scarlett 2i4 with those same impulses and amp sims.

Now I guess my real question is how much better is my 'ideal' setup from the realistic? Is it worth the extra like $1500? Probably not. But who knows. And if anyone has any other good AI's they could suggest up to the $500 range. That would be nice. The only AI's I'm really 'familiar' with are Line 6 and focusrite.

Some more questions about the overall recording, what is a good HD camera to record 1080p? Is upgrading the sound card worth it? Is getting high quality monitor speakers worth it? And lastly, is a PC or Mac better for "music"? And do I need to dish out $1000 for a computer, or will a $300 with a good sound card do? Any other general help for recording would be appreciated.
Soooooooooooooooo...
Quote by ZachHoltzer
My current setup: Gibson Les Paul studio, line 6 pod gx, pod farm and audacity. I know that gets the job done but I want amazing quality.
You already seem pretty good to me, apart from audacity, so first off get a good DAW.
Quote by ZachHoltzer
What I'm shooting for: my Gibson, pro tools 11, Pod HD Pro, and then various impulses and plugins that I would buy from professional studios, (such as Andrew wade's impulses or Joey sturgis' guitar sims)
Pro Tools is not what you need.
It's meant to be used with pretty high end hardware which you don't want to get, and technically speaking it sucks.
It's getting better but it's still not what you want at all.
You don't really need other impulses if you get the POD if ya ask me, BUT get the HD500.
If you need the phantom powered mic inputs, you can get that plus the 2i4 and still spend less money.
Get a new gibson only if you already want it for some other reason.
If you want it just to upgrade your recordings' quality, get a good new pair of pickups at most.
Quote by ZachHoltzer
What I'm realistically going to get: Gibson, reaper, Scarlett 2i4 with those same impulses and amp sims.
Though getting a 2i4 + a good amp simulator is a good idea, though the POD's convenience makes it worth the extra money.
Plus, good amp sims aren't really cheap - Softube's amp room bundle is worth $250, and bx_rockrack is the same.
No, Guitar Rig is not a good amp sim.
It's funny and all, but it's about as good as your pod, maybe worse.

Quote by ZachHoltzer
Some more questions about the overall recording, what is a good HD camera to record 1080p?

Canon SL1, Sony A58.
Quote by ZachHoltzer
Is upgrading the sound card worth it?
Your sound card is doing jack if you use an audio interface.
In fact the sound card is an integrated audio interface, ya know...
So no point in having both a good integrated sound card and a good audio interface, you can't use both at the same time anyway.
Quote by ZachHoltzer
Is getting high quality monitor speakers worth it?

If you need to mix your stuff yourself, get a pair indeed.
Don't have to be that expensive, don't have to be that high end, but you need a decent pair at least.
Quote by ZachHoltzer
And lastly, is a PC or Mac better for "music"? And do I need to dish out $1000 for a computer, or will a $300 with a good sound card do?

A Mac would be better, but I wouldn't consider getting one just for mixing and recording unless I had to do something really serious.
If you already have a pc with a good processor, say a dual core 2 duo at least, and you don't feel like changing it, stick by it to any means.
If you think you could use a new computer anyway, I'd get a mac.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.