hello,
if i have a particular note on the staff, lets say a G. That would be the second line. How can I know if that note is referred to the open G string on my guitar or maybe the G on the 3rd fret on the E string or the 8th fret on the B string?
Thanks
Middle C is the first ledger line under the stave. On the guitar, that is the 3rd fret on the A string. So can you work out where G is from there?
G on second line on staff is G on A string 10th fret = D string 5th fret = open G string

G on E string 3rd fret is one octave lower, and on high E string 3rd fret (= B string 8th fret) is one octave higher
Last edited by HiromiBodom at Dec 12, 2013,
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Guitar+Fretboard+To+Staff

Go to pictures and you'll see diagrams of the neck.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
another quick question. is there any way to tell what technique to use in the staff like it is in the tabs? for example palm muting, hammer on, pull off, tapping or any technique in general?
Thanks
Not guitar-specific techniques, no. But general. If a lot of notes have a bow below/above them that means "legato", which is for us hammer ons and pull offs, as an example.

Since notation is used universally for all instruments it's more a of a what character is should be played with, and then we have to find what suits that character best on guitar.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."