Hello pit

Soon, I'll be leaving for a 10 day holiday in London

It's the first tie I've been for over ten years (I was born there, then I moved to Italy and have pretty much been here since).

I'll be staying and hopping around faimlies, but I'll also be spending some time alone.

And I'm also on a bit of a tight budget.

Anyone here from London, can you recommend e some cool things to check out, and do during my ten days there? I've been told that there are some pretty cool cheap/ and free things there that a tourist can enjoy.

I'm studying the public transport maps, so I will have a vague idea as to how to get around.

Some things like denmark street, Abbey road etc I'll be trying.

Any advice? Also, just some good venues with concerts, shows, anything really..

And also, some good apps to download for tourists?

Thanks.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Quote by Krieger91
Anyone here from London, can you recommend e some cool things to check out, and do during my ten days there?

Go to anywhere but London
Quote by Krieger91
Hello pit

Soon, I'll be leaving for a 10 day holiday in London

It's the first tie I've been for over ten years (I was born there, then I moved to Italy and have pretty much been here since).

I'll be staying and hopping around faimlies, but I'll also be spending some time alone.

And I'm also on a bit of a tight budget.

Anyone here from London, can you recommend e some cool things to check out, and do during my ten days there? I've been told that there are some pretty cool cheap/ and free things there that a tourist can enjoy.

I'm studying the public transport maps, so I will have a vague idea as to how to get around.

Some things like denmark street, Abbey road etc I'll be trying.

Any advice? Also, just some good venues with concerts, shows, anything really..

And also, some good apps to download for tourists?

Thanks.

London isn't very scary to navigate around, there are maps at all the tube stations etc.

My advice would be try and do as much in a single day as you possibly can - you can get an all zones day pass for £10 allowing you to hop on and off trains, the underground etc.

Also, if you're not 100%, don't get an app, buy a real map. That way you do't have to worry about draining your devices battery by constantly checking the app etc.

Depends what you're into, but whenever I've got time to myself in London I like to check out the British Museum, Tate Gallery, Natural History Museum etc.

Denmark Street is also fantastic, just to drool over all the gear there.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
What sort of places will you be staying? It's easier if you're within Zone 2, say, but if not, just get the tube to say, Tottenham Court Road or Leicester Square and just wander about. For a good few miles around there there are lots of nice buildings, shops, etc. This time of year I'd recommend avoiding Oxford Street, mind you.

The Blues Kitchen in Camden has a really good house band Wednesday nights, and they do gigs the rest of the week. There's also the Underworld which has metal-ish (judging by the posters) bands most nights, just round the corner - a lot of the pubs in that area have gigs on. There's quite a few free comedy nights around too.

Wander around Regent's Park+Hampstead Heath - one cool walk is to leave from Camden and walk along the canal (during daylight, obviously) and up into Regent's Park. Also, walking along the banks of the Thames is nice.

Plenty to see! Plus, obviously, the museums are free and worth checking out.
http://www.londonpass.com

Get one of these, that's what I did when I headed to London for a week. Saw so many attractions at a bugger all price, saves you hella money. Also, I'm not sure how serious you are about guitar but Denmark Street is always fun to check out. All the museums are within walking distance of each other, but it would take you many many hours just to visit one, like.
Quote by Alan Partridge
Go to London! I guarantee you'll either be mugged or not appreciated. Catch the train to London, stopping at Rejection, Disappointment, Backstabbing Central and Shattered Dreams Parkway.

This
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
I'd recommend Camden as someone has said, I'm guessing you're into rock music and there's always pubs and venues that do that stuff which aren't too expensive.

Obviously you can go to all of the Museums if you like that stuff.

You can go to Edgware Road and smoke some Shisha which is fun, a few of the cafes will also let you smoke weed/cigarettes inside too.

You can go down to Leicester Square and go the cinema (really nice cinemas), I recommend the Prince Charles Theatre, I dunno when you're in London but here's the website, they do lots of sing-a-longs and it has a great atmosphere, not too expensive either. http://www.princecharlescinema.com/

Also you can head down to Brick Lane and check out the market and theclothes shops, record shops, they've also got a few clubs and venues which are good so you should check that out perhaps.

Also, the tube at night it incredibly funny, so are night buses, it's really funny to watch everyone being drunk and communicating on the buses and trains.

Also, most of the time, if a young black man approaches you, nine times out of ten it's to sell you drugs. Lived in London 19 years and I've only been mugged once when I was 14.
I don't live in London, but from the few times I've been there, I will tell you a few things you need to see in London:

Camden

Camden

Camden

and if you still have time, check out Camden.

Particularly Underworld, they've got pretty much every kind of music there, electronic, punk, death metal, whatever your heart could desire, as long as it kicks ass.
Vinland, Vinland Über Alles

"Why do they still call me a warlord? And mad? All I want to do is create the perfect genetic soldier!"
Quote by K'Nuckles
Basti, I just noticed you have the Beyond Creation CD as your profile picture. Yeeeee boi

Quote by jaybsp

You can go down to Leicester Square and go the cinema (really nice cinemas), I recommend the Prince Charles Theatre, I dunno when you're in London but here's the website, they do lots of sing-a-longs and it has a great atmosphere, not too expensive either. http://www.princecharlescinema.com/

Only go there, don't go to any of the chains cause they crazy expensive. I'd highly reccomend the Electric Cinema in Notting Hill just for the experience. Big comfy armchairs and footrests.
The Hard RockCafe there is really nice, especially the vault across the road. Some nice stuff in there.
Pretty much all the museums are free, so definitely check those out. Natural History, Science, British Museum, Tate, etc.
Camden is definitely an experience, and there's pretty much a gig every night, if you want to check that out. Shopping there is fun as well, if you know how to haggle.

What parts of London are you going to be in? Because there is waaaay too much to do in London in ten days, so if you know where you're going to be, you can consolidate your travels and save time, money, etc.
Thanks for all the help guys.

I'll be staying in Greenford, for most of the time, but I'll be trying to travel around as much as possible, and I'll be spending nights in other places, so it's a case of figuring out exactly where I'll be staying, and when, and all of your help has been awesome, thanks.

Quote by Basti95
Benvenuto a Londra!

Grazie
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Last edited by Krieger91 at Dec 12, 2013,
Quote by lemmyisgod97
Go to Baker Street and meet Sherlock Holmes.

Dude, not American
Quote by willT08
Go Lewisham alone at night

Doesn't bother me man, Ive got family there and never had any trouble
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
The name in your user title is as close to Lengman as makes no difference, you're probably causing the trouble
Have a quick research on the worst areas, make sure to avoid them, and you'll be fine

theguitarist lives in/is from London - if he sees this, he'll probably be able to help.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
I love the fact that almost all the galleries and museums are free, with the exception of the Tate. I'm into art, and they have some masterpieces.
The Tate is free aside from a couple of exhibitions. I was there a couple of weeks ago and saw some Picassos.

I think that 10 days in a city is a looooong time. There's lots to do but it's also a lot of walking. I'd recommend a long weekend, but at least you can do a lot. So aside from the obvious like Buckingham Palace, Downing Street etc;

For food Brick Lane, China Town, pubs - not Weatherspoons, Golders Green, soho, Camden. Anywhere really.

For culture - Museums; British, Science and History, Camden, Soho, the markets like Portobello, Greenwich, Camden, and the further out ones like Barking, Romford are authentic and have German and African market days (find out what days they're on). Music is Camden, Shoreditch, Borough. There's lots of stuff going on. There's a cool pub near Tower Bridge that does German beer and double pints, I forget it's name but I'll find it if you're interested.

You can get theatre tickets quite cheap, have a look and if you're interested in the non musical variety and want to see a Pinter or whatever you can get stuff last minute on the cheap from the box offices, matinees and the like.

Stay away from the Leicester Square nightclubs, they're somewhat shallow and expensive, instead check out stuff going on in Holborn. I used to go to some clubs a few years ago and aside from the normal pretentious folk who attend any kind of nightlife, if you ignore that side of it there'll be decent music and cheaper drinks around that area.

Go to Denmark Street to have a look at the guitar stores. There's a few with 50's Strats and Teles, Custom Shop stuff etc. That's off of Tottenham Court Road, where you can also check out loads of computer stuff if you're into that.

East London has lots of popup galleries in the surrounding area. Stuff that appears for a couple of days and moves on - sometimes in squats and stuff. Not as risky as it might sound or how the media want it to sound - It's an art exhibition, not a crack den. You could do Banksy tours, or Krays and Jack the Ripper tours around East London etc.

There are various comedy clubs scattered around, a quick Google search will yield great results, Covent Garden is a definite must go as are the parks like Hyde Park - check out speakers corner, a walk along the Embankment or South Bank is nice, especially at night, although not so much in December. Check out the skaters on Southbank, if the weather's alright you might see someone special.

I'll add to the list when I think of more stuff.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Have a quick research on the worst areas, make sure to avoid them, and you'll be fine

theguitarist lives in/is from London - if he sees this, he'll probably be able to help.

hit up soho, dalston, shoreditch, camden, brixton, covent garden or angel for nights out.

if it's not friday/saturday, everything shuts at 11pm, so go home or get robbed.

go to all the free galleries, see all the parks, browse the big shiny stores.

everyone's already said the cheap stuff to do, and what I get up to costs £££.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o