Sorry to add to the 'what pickups should I get' collection that this site has going...

I fell in love with this guitar when I played one a few years ago... The body shape, the thin neck, beautiful! I have been searching for a while, but most of them are over priced because they only made them for a few years in the late 70's and early 80's.

Here is a picture of the body shape if you're not familiar (This is the exact guitar I bought off of ebay! Super cheap but it needs a lot of work):Guild S300-D

The pickups are pretty... beat. Picture of that as well: Beat Pickups

So what pickups should I put in this thing? I am wanting ot play thrash and doom with it after restoring. They might have to be passive... Also - I'm not sure what wood this guitar probably is... Thoughts? Guild S300-D Gallery

I look forward to hearing your opinions! Thank you!
My friend recommended this:

Seymour Duncan Custom in the bridge.
Seymour Duncan Jazz in the neck.

Thoughts?
I can't really help you with your pickups since thats not my field of expertise, but here are your pictures:

And the link to the gallery:
Guild S300-D Gallery

Really cool guitar you have there, but definitly a piece of work
^no, this is the right forum. i guess no one really feels like giving pup advice right now. so i'll give ya a free bump so that someone else may see it.
Quote by gonzosmemoirs

So what pickups should I put in this thing? I am wanting ot play thrash and doom with it after restoring. They might have to be passive... Also - I'm not sure what wood this guitar probably is... Thoughts?

I look forward to hearing your opinions! Thank you!

the wood looks like mahogany to me, i don't see much grain so it's hard to tell.

you could probably go active if you want to, it'd just require more extensive electronics replacements. the only concern would be where to place the battery if the cavity isn't big enough to fit it in there.

what is wrong with the originals besides the aesthetics? do they still work, do they sound bad? is it just not the sound you like? i would personally keep the originals for posterity reasons or if you ever wanna make it stock again.

if you wanna play some heavier music you could go with some nailbombs. they seem to be popular with the metal crowd around here. i had a set of pearly gates pups that did well in multiple styles of music and could chunk quite well. my suhr humbucker in my strat also sounds pretty good.

i'd probably get some PAF style copies to throw in there if it were my guitar. but i don't play much heavy music.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Dec 13, 2013,
custom and jazz would probably work for that, yeah (i don't play doom, though). the 59 is a nice duncan neck pickup too, but the jazz might be (marginally) better for higher gain/shreddier leads like you have in thrash.

agreed with gumbi on hanging onto the old ones- being able to put your instrument back to stock normally means more money if you ever come to sell (even if the new pickups are upgrades )
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?