I use an overdrive pedal with my amp and sometimes if I turn the gain or volume up too much the amp just screeches making it unplayable at that setting. Also on playable settings there is quite an audible hum/static sound.

Would a noise reducer pedal such as the Boss NS2 improve my situation?
Depends. Does the screeching stop when you turn your guitar volume down?
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Lavatain
Depends. Does the screeching stop when you turn your guitar volume down?

Screeching happens when the overdrive pedal is turned up and because of this i have to compromise on the settings I choose.
It will help, but a noise gate should be set to the lowest level possible to keep as much tone/sustain. I use an MXR Smart Gate and I really like it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Not Soo Noobish
Screeching happens when the overdrive pedal is turned up and because of this i have to compromise on the settings I choose.

You didn't answer the question. Does the noise stop when you turn the volume on your guitar all the way down? If it does stop, then yes a noise gate will help a lot.
Quote by J_W
You didn't answer the question. Does the noise stop when you turn the volume on your guitar all the way down? If it does stop, then yes a noise gate will help a lot.

This is what I was getting at. If screeching doesn't stop, then no, a noise gate will not help. It means your amp/overdrive are having problems.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by J_W

Yeah the screeching stops when the guitar volume is around is 1-4 with the pedal on

So i guess the boss ns2 should do the job
Last edited by Not Soo Noobish at Dec 12, 2013,
Um, I hate to butt in on a thread, but seeing as the TS is likely to get an NS-2..

I'm just curious what the best settings are to use for gating feedback on my 6505+ 112 using the NS-2, keeping a good compromise between quietness and sustain.

Unless i'm just having the gain set too high on the amp, and the volume too high on the bad monkey (I should also mention i'm dropping the pickup volume to about half)
Quote by ambler3
Um, I hate to butt in on a thread, but seeing as the TS is likely to get an NS-2..

I'm just curious what the best settings are to use for gating feedback on my 6505+ 112 using the NS-2, keeping a good compromise between quietness and sustain.

Unless i'm just having the gain set too high on the amp, and the volume too high on the bad monkey (I should also mention i'm dropping the pickup volume to about half)

Everyone is different but start with the settings as low as possible and turn the threshold up until it just knocks the noise down.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
It may actually just be feedback from being too close to your amp, a noise gate would help, but you could try just backing away from the amp. What amp/pedal and how high do you put the volume on them?
Yeah, that's possible, but then again, I stand at least 2m away and it doesn't change much so idk. And settings are as follows:
Bad monkey - gain 0 volume maxed
Amp - gain and volume both around 10 o'clock

I think also tubes could be a consideration, If i put in some low gain tubes like ECC803 and 12AT7s it may be less prone to feedback.
Quote by ambler3
Yeah, that's possible, but then again, I stand at least 2m away and it doesn't change much so idk. And settings are as follows:

I think also tubes could be a consideration, If i put in some low gain tubes like ECC803 and 12AT7s it may be less prone to feedback.

I think your problem here is the volume setting. I find on my EVH 5153 I only need to turn the volume to 2/10 to have to turn my noise gate threshold up, compared to bedroom levels of the volume being ≤1. I keep my NS-2 in the 4-cable method so it's gating the whole guitar signal before it hits the power amp. What I'm saying is, turn your threshold up, and/or run it in 4-cable method.
I am using a bad monkey and a Marshall Mg
Im Getting a tube amp in the spring but i just want to see if theres anything i can do in the mean time
Quote by Not Soo Noobish
Im Getting a tube amp in the spring but i just want to see if theres anything i can do in the mean time

And if the Bad Monkey is off you don't have any issues do you?

A lot of SS amps don't like boosts in the front end
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by ambler3

I lost track of who started this thread.

Please get your own thread.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I lost track of who started this thread.

Please get your own thread.

lol I started this thread but coming to a conclusion, it seems that to get a better sound with less screeching feedback would be to get a better amp.
Quote by Not Soo Noobish

That's why I asked about which amp and pedal. That's your problem..save the OD for when you get a tube amp.
[..BLACKFIRE..]