I've been using D'Addario nickel wounds for a few years now, and everytime I restring my guitars I find them way too slippery for the first week or two. After that it's fine and they last quite a while (they're not very polite though, always break during a gig and never whilst playing at home or rehearsing).

The main reason for using them is because they're the cheapest my local musicstore offers. I'm wondering if anyone else experiences this slipperyness(?) and if there are brands known to be less slippery (Ernie Ball, Dunlop, something else?).

I'm not trying to start a VS thread here, just looking for facts (for as far as possible).
I use D'Addario 11's myself as I find them the best all round string. Lately been gigging weekly so they get restrung every week but I only expect them to last 3 band practices and a bit of home noodling. I find slinkys a little to slippery for my liking so I'd stick with D'Addarios if I were you!
I've used that brand on my electrics for years and never had a string break. Ever! I don't have a problem with the way they feel new, either.
How do you change your strings? One at a time or all at once?

Sometimes changing them all at once can mess up the action making it feel really weird to bend for me, almost slippery.

Are you sweating? Is the guitar coming in from extreme cold before you play at rehearsal?

I had that exact feeling once on all my guitars after I had changed the strings on all of them. I realised that it was messing with the action due to the method I had employed - changing them all at once.
I've used that brand on my electrics for years and never had a string break. Ever! I don't have a problem with the way they feel new, either.

They tend to break more on my guitar with a TOM bridge. The guitar with the non-locking trem is way better in that regard.

How do you change your strings? One at a time or all at once?

One at a time, or three at time when I'm cleaning my fretboard. It's not my action, it also happens on all my guitars

Are you sweating? Is the guitar coming in from extreme cold before you play at rehearsal?

Not really, unless it's hot. It's just the general feel of the string is very slippery. When I bend they even tend to slip away under my fingers. That even happens on my guitar with jumbo frets where you can really get 'under' the string. This happens at home, at rehearsals and on stage, has nothing to do with the temperature really. After around 2 weeks of daily play the slippyness seems to go away.

Ernie balls are you four dollars at my guitar center.

At our local shop they're 7 euros, opposed to 4 euros for D'Addarios. So that's 75% more expensive. Still just a couple of bucks ofcourse, but worth the question for me.
Last edited by Pizza123 at Dec 13, 2013,
Slippery? I think you mean clean. You probably have the kind of sweat that grunges up strings so you're more accustomed to them feeling that way.
As for breaking strings, if they continually break in the same place there may be issues in that area that cause this.

edit I just saw your comment on slipping while bending. If your action is really low this can be a problem. Most players that do bends don't use really low action, that's for chicken picken style.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Dec 14, 2013,