I've been playing for about four years now. I have a mix of fairly nice guitars, one of which is a Fender american stratocaster. Last night, when I was playing along with some music, I put it down, and dinged it against the coffee table. My baby has a new tiny dent in the finish on the edge, and I am sad. This is the first ding I have ever put in any of my guitars. The shame...

No request or question, except perhaps for some sympathy.
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II, Seymour Duncan Jazz and '59.
ESP Horizon NT II
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Mesa 5:50 Express
Egnator Rebel 30
Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18
NO SYMPATHY!

But I do empathize.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Boo-hoo
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Dude, if you saw my American Standard Strat, you would be crying I guess. That thing is dinged to hell. One of the dudes at the music program has a two year old tele that has just peeled like a bloody orange.
I know some people ding their new guitars on purpose the day they get them, just to get it over with.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
i feel your pain i have a strat too the FSR hand stained finish and i smoked it against a coffee table and it hurt bad not that long ago.
song stuck in my head today

I always look at it like this. Guitars are tools. They're going to get beat to shit. They aren't meant to be pretty. they're meant to sound good and become and extention of your soul.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

Honestly after the first dent or scratch I got a little bummed, then it happened again and it doesn't bother me. i mean, it's not destroyed. But it's been put through it's paces. And when you play live a lot, Idk, it's still just your guitar in the end. And if it plays well who cares if it's a little beat up. all of us are!
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
While it might not necessarily get "destroyed", any instrument will be affected by the passage of time.

My last cello instructor's instrument was over 400 years old. Its finish had change color. It had been attacked by some kind of wood-boring critter. Etc.

And an open C in that thing could rattle jars in the practice room.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by p4vl
Even the Mona Lisa's falling apart.

I think you just rationalized dying...
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by Katsock
I think you just rationalized dying...

Dying does not require rationalization, all one needs to know is that it's simply going to happen.

If you aren't getting dents, you're not playing hard enough and you should just hang it on the wall as a decoration.