I'd like to get an acoustic bass mostly to record bass lines for practice/looping purposes. It can be acoustic electric, but this is isn't imperative. I'm fine with buying used and would like to spend somewhere around $200.

Thanks.
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
How about an upright bass?

Joke.

If you are into Jazz Basses, get the Fender Kingman .

If you're not a fanboy, get the Hoefner Acoustic bass. Not the Violin bass.

There is also a nice Ibanez 5 String Acoustic but I don't remember the model.

Be warned - the acoustic bass sounds really different from an electric one. With new strings you'll get a load of buzz and noise if you're slapping or playing with a pick. Be careful if you slap - don't pop the bridge out. Acoustic basses can be slapped but don't do it too aggressive.

Also, you might want a fretless model if you can play one.

There was a short scale fretless model out there but I really don't remember the model or the company.

Or get this one - this is a REAL bass!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kala-Solid-Top-Fretless-Acoustic-Electric-U-Bass-Natural-LN-/261339488763
Last edited by realsmoky at Dec 13, 2013,
The Kala U basses are fun and have a nice fat sound when amplified.

Another option is see if you can find a Boulder Creek acoustic bass used. Very good build and sound for the money spent.
full acoustic or hollow body elec?

I keep trying acoutics and don't like fenders at all. Deans seem to be the best - local store has a new one for $360 w/ electrics in it. Nice sound either way - loud enough acoustically too without have to pull the strings off the body to get it loud enough, nice action.

Price wise there are cheap new basses out there but all the ones i've played are much more individual than elec bass' so I'd say play them and not just buy blindly.
Let me make one comment on the Deans. Check the build carefully--their QA is horrible and their acoustics are not that well made.
Quote by prof_fate
full acoustic or hollow body elec?

I keep trying acoutics and don't like fenders at all. Deans seem to be the best - local store has a new one for $360 w/ electrics in it. Nice sound either way - loud enough acoustically too without have to pull the strings off the body to get it loud enough, nice action.

Price wise there are cheap new basses out there but all the ones i've played are much more individual than elec bass' so I'd say play them and not just buy blindly.

Full acoustic. Does anyone have any experience with the Ibanez Acoustic Basses?
Quote by space aids
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

Last edited by Robbin'TheHood at Dec 16, 2013,
Quote by Robbin'TheHood

My Ibanez SGBE110 will arrive either tomorrow or thursday, I'll let you know. However the one that I tried in store was nice and was loud enough to not get drowned out by my GF playing an acoustic guitar.
Quote by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
Quote by Spanner93
My Ibanez SGBE110 will arrive either tomorrow or thursday, I'll let you know. However the one that I tried in store was nice and was loud enough to not get drowned out by my GF playing an acoustic guitar.

Thanks, let me know if you like it. I've actually been looking at the Ibanez SGBE110.
Quote by space aids
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

Quote by Robbin'TheHood

Yes; I have one. An AEB10 in black. It is a neat little bass; acoustic and electric. It can feed back like a SOB on electric if you are not careful. It plays very well. I would say look at the Ibanez basses, and perhaps the Michael Kelly basses - though I have heard mixed reviews on those, but that was several years ago. Now; if you have some serious cash to spend, then by all means take a look at the Rick Turner Renaissance Bass. You will not find a better acoustic bass guitar anywhere:

http://www.rickturnerguitars.com/bass.php

You might be hard-pressed to find a purely acoustic bass guitar. And if you could, I do not recommend it. These acoustic basses are nowhere near as loud as an acoustic guitar - not even as loud as a nylon-string classical guitar. If you plan to play with anyone, you are going to have to plug into an amp or be drowned out for sure.

Good luck with your search!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Robbin'TheHood
Thanks, let me know if you like it. I've actually been looking at the Ibanez SGBE110.

Right, well it came this morning and I must say that I am very impressed. Fit and finish is good, nice weight and feel. Louder than most AB's I've played. All in all I don't think you can go far wrong at the price.
Quote by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.