Page 1 of 2
This may sound like a stupid question, but I really don't have an answer.

What's the point of purchasing individual pedals when my amp already has distortion/delay/chorus/etc. knobs on it?

It's obvious why they are a must for live gigs, but other than that, why? Do pedals sound better than the effects on the amp?
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not."

~ Kurt Cobain ~
But, if it is a modelling amp, maybe not. Some modellers don't get along well with pedals.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by xBrando

What's the point of purchasing individual pedals when my amp already has distortion/delay/chorus/etc. knobs on it?

It's obvious why they are a must for live gigs, but other than that, why? Do pedals sound better than the effects on the amp?

Well. Not every amp has effects on board.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
hell, some amps don't even have REVERB on board. Looking at you 6505+H
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Some pedals are just awesome!

Soloing with a Wah pedal is just incredibly good to my ears.
On-board effects are typically limited. Or they may not have switching abilities (although you already mentioned live as an excuse). Also there's tons of pedals that you won't find in a modeling amp.
Quote by xBrando

Hows your amps built in ring modulator and harmonic percolator? Just curious.... Haha nah built in effects are generally fairly shit. And i don't treat distortion as an effect per se, and neither do many others. Its different.

You have effects built into YOUR amp and that's fine, however i run a clean set up and have a heap of pedals which i run into it. Different strikes for different folks. Doesn't mean you have to get any pedals at all, don't feel obliged if everyone else has them etc.
Another benefit to pedals tthough would have to be the ability to change which way they stack into each other, as in which way they are ordered. You can also choose to run some infront of the amp and some in the effects loop. Also pedals generally allow for much larger parameter control options.
Last edited by T7E at Dec 13, 2013,
I use pedals to make babies cry and make dogs perform Hari Kari.

I also have an AC30 as my main amp, which only has one channel. So If I want dirt, I need a dirt type pedal (Actually, I have 6 dirt pedals, set with varying frequencies and dirt levels).

And I'll put my amp/pedal setup against yours any day.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Dec 13, 2013,
Quote by CodeMonk
I use pedals to make babies cry and make dogs perform Hari Kari.

I also have an AC30 as my main amp, which only has one channel. So If I want dirt, I need a dirt type pedal (Actually, I have 6 dirt pedals, set with varying frequencies and dirt levels).

And I'll put my amp/pedal setup against yours any day.

Ding ding ding that is the answer.

Put them in their place code. :cheers;
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I have an Axe-FX Ultra now so I don't use any pedals. What a relief. When I was running tube amps I was totally addicted to buying them. I probably bought and sold 50 over the years.
Quote by JackoMBA
I have an Axe-FX Ultra now so I don't use any pedals. What a relief. When I was running tube amps I was totally addicted to buying them. I probably bought and sold 50 over the years.

so you just decided to blow 2 grand all at once this time cuz that's better lol.
50 x £100/$150.

You do the math.

Buying pedals can be fun but there are always twats ready to tell you that you should be using this rather than that, or your £300 delay just isn't good enough, when in reality no one can really tell much of a difference between a mk 5 and 6 whatever.

Elitism and buyer bias plague this scene. If you want all Boss pedals then so be it, if they give you the sound you want then that's all that should matter.
It's hard to beat Boss pedals gigging. The whole ergonomics of them and the reliability makes up for a lot of shortcomings they may have. Sound isn't everything when you're on stage.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by monwobobbo
so you just decided to blow 2 grand all at once this time cuz that's better lol.

The Axe FX is easily worth 2 grand.
Quote by xBrando

You are right. It is a stupid question.

Quote by xBrando

If your amp already has that and you are happy then who gives a ****? We don't.

Quote by xBrando

Depends on the gig, music played, your audience, and your preferences.

It is all extremely subjective. Not really sure what your point is.
Quote by Cathbard
It's hard to beat Boss pedals gigging. The whole ergonomics of them and the reliability makes up for a lot of shortcomings they may have. Sound isn't everything when you're on stage.

Sounds like quotable stuff there.
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Squier Standard Stratocaster HSS
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
Quote by Macabre_Turtle

Of course in order to use the AxeFX in a live situation you also need:

A Footswitch: Fractal's MFC-101 will cost you $750. While there are other cheaper alternatives it's the only one that really offers full functionality.

Expression Pedals for things like wah/volume and anything else you might want to control. (Reverb/Delay blend, variable gain etc..) $100 per

A way to hear yourself. You've got different options here
-A good FRFR monitor $1000 double it if you want stereo
-In ears $500-$1000
-Power amp + Speaker Cab $500-$1000 for the amp $200-$1200 for the cab.

But for a full rig you can spend anywhere from $3500-$6000 Mind you... You can use it to build rigs that are worth $50,000 or more.
Individual pedals also make it easier to write songs, since you can kick on what effect you want when you want and then turn them off, or have a few of the same effects pedals with different settings to achieve different sounds or stack them with other pedals to achieve even more sounds as opposed to the one setting that you can have at a time with most modeling amp.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
You are right. It is a stupid question.

If your amp already has that and you are happy then who gives a ****? We don't.

Depends on the gig, music played, your audience, and your preferences.

It is all extremely subjective. Not really sure what your point is.

Well you're a real dick.

OP; most amps and especially amps used for playing in a live setting do not come with on-board effects. Most amps with on-board effects do not sound very good. They are often tacked on to an amp as a cheap way to sell it as being a better "value" because "youre not just getting an amp! You're getting a bunch of effects too!" It's a subtle car-salesman type tactic. This is often added on to practice amps because practice amps by nature are less expensive and supposed to be more portable/usable. The effects allows the manufacturer to charge more and it benefits the player because they don't have to set up a whole pedal board to play through the amp. It's plug-and-play. Also, newer players are more prone to purchase these amps because it is less of an investment, so adding effects on bring more value to those types of players.

Companies that specialize in producing effects pedals are going to produce better effects products. Another advantage is that these effects pedals are modular, meaning you can add as many as you'd like, and if one breaks it doesn't ruin the whole chain. If an effect in your amp goes bad you cannot remove it from the chain. It is much more difficult and usually not worth it to repair or replace the effect.

All in all, effects on an amp are basically a marketing tactic to influence value and price. The focus is not on quality. Effects in pedals are generally a better quality investment, but they are also more expensive.
I play guitar
Last edited by )Eric(Draven at Dec 13, 2013,
Quote by icronic
Of course in order to use the AxeFX in a live situation you also need:

A Footswitch: Fractal's MFC-101 will cost you $750. While there are other cheaper alternatives it's the only one that really offers full functionality.

Expression Pedals for things like wah/volume and anything else you might want to control. (Reverb/Delay blend, variable gain etc..) $100 per

A way to hear yourself. You've got different options here
-A good FRFR monitor $1000 double it if you want stereo
-In ears $500-$1000
-Power amp + Speaker Cab $500-$1000 for the amp $200-$1200 for the cab.

But for a full rig you can spend anywhere from $3500-$6000 Mind you... You can use it to build rigs that are worth $50,000 or more.

Given 3500-6000 to blow on music equipment I would choose...

Axe FX,
Whatever is necessary to make the Axe FX completely midi controlled with no switches,
as some bands are doing,
A single expression pedal, because wah is the only thing I'd want to control with one,
in ear monitors,
and a half decent power amp and cab,

long before I'd spend it on...

A big pile of expensive equipment meant to do all the same things the Axe FX does while occupying more space and set up time,
Still in ear monitors,
and still a half decent power amp and cab.

Also, as I am simply a recording musician, and have no intentions on performing, the Axe FX would pretty much negate my need to ever buy anything besides good recording monitors and good instruments.

I'm not an expert on music equipment, or even good tone (live, or recording) by any means as I've spent my 8 years playing focused nearly entirely on writing the music, but I just feel like in this world of incredibly over priced ridiculous music equipment the Axe FX is the only expensive piece of equipment I've ever heard and thought "that is actually worth it's cost."

EDIT: Upon rereading your post I realized that you were basically agreeing with me. I had assumed the post was coming from the poster that I responded too, and so I assumed it was meant to refute me. My bad.
Last edited by Macabre_Turtle at Dec 13, 2013,
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
the Axe FX would pretty much negate my need to ever buy anything besides good recording monitors and good instruments.
and the next axe fx. and the next one. and...
:: Peavey JSX | XXX ::
:: LTD V | Viper | AX [EMG85] ::
:: Vader 2x12 | Krankenstein 4x12 ::
:: G50 | DecimatorG-String | 95Q ::
:: Polytune | Ditto | CarbonCopy ::
Quote by crabstampede
and the next axe fx. and the next one. and...

I wouldn't NEED to update to the next Axe FX any more than I would NEED to update to new versions of any other equipment.
Pedals do, in fact, sound better because you can set more aspects of them - I can set my delay time, volume decay and the volume of the first "iteration". As a built-in effect, you're typically limited to setting all 3 at once, or only delay time.
Because I can set more options, I can get closer to the sound I want. That means that, to me, the pedal result will sound better than if I used a modeler.

On top of that, not all effects are built in to each amp. For example, if you want to switch between a clean and overdriven sound on a one-channel amp, you pretty much need a pedal.

PS. If you have a modeling amp, pedals may sound worse (produce more hum, make the sound less clear). That's because modeling amps are usually of the cheap-crap variety and don't take them well.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by )Eric(Draven
Well you're a real dick.

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
It's not a stupid question. I honestly don't get the point of shelling over 100 bucks for 1 effect unless it's insanely good at what it's doing. I'm a multi-FX type of guy.

I agree that effects on an amp are way more limited, but I've been mostly using FX with deep perimeter tweaking, so a single FX pedal gets the same feeling of lacking like the comparison of a pedal to built on amp FX.
Lot's of pedals are awesome.

Fulltones OCD is amazing. Lot's of EHX, Moog etc are just awesome. The Axe FX is awesome, but I don't think it's got what the OCD has.

Multi FX units lack in lots of ways. My Eleven Rack is great, it's so much fun and when you dial the right amp model in it's amazing, but it's not got a better overdrive than the OCD, so I use that.
Last edited by Mephaphil at Dec 13, 2013,
Quote by DubfromGA
Sounds like quotable stuff there.

What he said is quite true.
99.99% of the audience isn't going to be able to tell the difference between
a Boss DD-7 and a Timeline, or a Boss DS-1 and a Suhr Riot.
Hell, most of the audience wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a Marshall MG and a Mesa Recto.
What's the point in playing guitar?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Mephaphil
Lot's of pedals are awesome.

Fulltones OCD is amazing. Lot's of EHX, Moog etc are just awesome. The Axe FX is awesome, but I don't think it's got what the OCD has.

Multi FX units lack in lots of ways. My Eleven Rack is great, it's so much fun and when you dial the right amp model in it's amazing, but it's not got a better overdrive than the OCD, so I use that.

A lot of MFX I use has models based on highly acclaimed single pedals.
The only stuff I can think of that I'd get for single pedals is probably a BOSS HM-2 (Got it), OP Amp Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Fender BOSS colab pedals and a few others I can't think of right now.

The problem I have with single pedals is that if they aren't good or/and flexible, then I don't see the point of getting it.

Example: I don't want to pay 100 bucks for a tremolo with level and depth knobs, if I'm going to spend that much money it should at least have a waveform selection.

Most single distortion pedals aren't very nice to me unless you're looking for a unique tone. That's where stuff like a Big Muff or HM-2 come in.

A lot of instances of MFX cover the essentials though, and the stuff I have has deep parameter editing and gives more flexibility than what it's modeled after.

Not all MFX are mediocre clones.

Anyways, this is just my personal experience and opinion. I don't buy pedals anymore because they cost too much and I end up not using them.
Last edited by Clay-man at Dec 13, 2013,
pedals are just effects in external boxes. that is the way most effects started, so they are still around today.

there are many reasons to go for onboard effects in amps, for multi effects units or for standalone pedal effects. the reasons are too numerous to get into, but the reasons are quite pertinent.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Can't get that pure tone with effects pedals in the signal chain.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by CodeMonk
Its fun?

/thread

(?)
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Macabre_Turtle

no doubt. just found it funny that your cure for buying a bunch of pedals was to buy a $2000 unit. we both know 5 years down the road you'll want something else. we all have the sickness.

as for the original statement. sure your amp has built in fx. what happens when you want a different sound than what the fx you have provide? I've bought tons of pedals over the years as my sound has evolved and as new stuff has become available. no good reason not to. for recording I mainly use the fx that my POD has but even then I"ll throw in one of my pedals to change things up. variety is a good thing.
Quote by tubetime86
Can't get that pure tone with effects pedals in the signal chain.

what if all your fx are tube driven? ok from a purist standpoint perhaps that's true but not all of us are gonna settle fro just plugging our guitar in to an amp and that's it.
Quote by monwobobbo
no doubt. just found it funny that your cure for buying a bunch of pedals was to buy a $2000 unit. we both know 5 years down the road you'll want something else. we all have the sickness.

I'd rather have being using one $2000 multi effect than 20 $100 single pedals. I mean, for one, it will do more than those 20 pedals, not to mention what the amp sims are capable of. Plus tone matching? That's incredible. Secondly, it's just more simple to deal with. I don't want a floor full of patch cables and power chords, or any trouble shooting to figure out which of my 20 pedals went bad when something wrong happens. A single piece of equipment is so much easier. Thirdly, it can be controlled by midi. I think the fact that using Axe FX, a band can now go their whole show without touching their effect pedal. I have too much bad luck with kicking out cables and stepping on wrong buttons or totally missing my cue.
Page 1 of 2