I recently bought a Mark Bass amp head and 2x10 cabinet, and a Fender Precision Special bass. There is a weird buzzing that happens, mostly on the lower strings, and only when I'm adjusting the lower one of the weird two part knob. When I turn it one way full the noise is really bad, when I do it the other way completely it doesn't happen at all. It doesn't sound like a blown speaker, but it's more of a fizzly cracking sound. The manuals/online help is really bad and I can't figure out what this knob does, but I assume it adjusts which pickup is used.

Here my guesses to what it is:
1) I tried replacing the battery already (active pickups)
2) The one pickup is too close to the strings
3) The one pickup is bad or has some connection issue
4) I'm using an instrument cable to connect my head to speaker (temporarily), maybe it's being overloaded.

Anyone got any other ideas?
Last edited by KingJustinian25 at Dec 12, 2013,
Probably the instrument cable being used instead of a speaker cable (dumb guy at Guitar Center told me they are interchangeable even though I thought they weren't). If anyone could verify that it could cause some distortion sound at low frequencies that would make me feel better.
First off never ever use an instrument cable to connect your amp to your cab. There are a lot of things that could be causing problems but the very first thing I'd do is go get a speaker cable.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
There's a problem connection in the bass. The amp just amplifies what is going in. Using the wrong cable is dumb and the assistant needs a lot more training but it won't generate noise, it just isn't designed to take that sort of voltage and will burn out after any prolonged use. Replace it but take the bass back and ask them to test it with another amp and then fix it. It is probably just a damaged pot or a loose connection so not a big deal.
I messed with the settings more and it only happens when the bass is boosted (whether on the guitar or amp, but worse when it's on the guitar IMO). I got a speaker cable too.

I brought all my gear into guitar center and I couldn't reproduce the problem there. I assume it's some type of issue with the power that my apartment has, since I've tried it on several different outlets there and it sounds the same on all of them. I got a Furman power conditioner and that doesn't solve the problem either.
One last suggestion, it's hard to imagine a sound from a description.

If the sound goes away at low volumes then you might be over driving the speakers and hearing the coil hammering against the back of your speaker magnets. This will destroy your speakers fairly quickly.

Bass boost pushes up the power startlingly quickly. 3db doubles the power demanded and on full you have 12-15 db boost. 15dB is 32x the power!!! this means your speaker is trying to move 32x further and bashing itself to pieces, Don't use that much bass boost if this is the case and turn down if you hear the noise again.
Quote by Phil Starr
One last suggestion, it's hard to imagine a sound from a description.

If the sound goes away at low volumes then you might be over driving the speakers and hearing the coil hammering against the back of your speaker magnets. This will destroy your speakers fairly quickly.

Bass boost pushes up the power startlingly quickly. 3db doubles the power demanded and on full you have 12-15 db boost. 15dB is 32x the power!!! this means your speaker is trying to move 32x further and bashing itself to pieces, Don't use that much bass boost if this is the case and turn down if you hear the noise again.

Thanks for the db/power explanation, the bass boost must be drawing a lot of power from my apartments bad electricity. It still does it at low volumes when the bass is boosted, but I haven't had a chance to try it out at high volumes without the bass boosted. I've managed to get a decent tone by cutting almost all of the bass on the guitar and keeping it close to normal on the amp.

This shouldn't be a problem if I'm jamming/gigging since it will never be in my apartment.

EDIT: To add to that, it's usually only on the low E string unless the bass is boosted quite a bit, then it's every string.
Last edited by KingJustinian25 at Dec 15, 2013,