Page 1 of 2
I'm a solo artist. I write relatively short songs with with slight degree of instrumental complexity. I have semi-complex chord progressions in my songs. Everything I do is very melodic. A lot of it is sort of somber. There is a focus on lyrics. I usually incorporate a couple of guitar tracks, a bass track, vocals, and sometimes percussion. I know my music is good. I believe my vocals are solid more often than not. My music is the one thing I am proud of in my life. If I submit my music to record companies, and they they recognize my talent, will they deem me unmarketable because I'm a 19 year old dude who doesn't have a band?
Last edited by Ponyexpress at Dec 20, 2013,
Go to youtube, make a channel, post your music. Go to facebook, make a page, post your music. Go outside and busk your music. Record your own demo cd's, hand them out to random people.

You never know who you're going to meet. I got asked by a country music producer to make music for him, but I turned it down because it involved me moving to Louisiana. I was busking outside my school and he loved my playing.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by Ponyexpress
Yeah you're right, **** self-esteem and commitment to an art.

oh come on. you can't just say "I know my music is good". I mean, isn't that kinda, I don't know man. sorry.
banned
Quote by Ponyexpress
Yeah you're right, **** self-esteem and commitment to an art.

That's not self esteem, that's arrogance.
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
Quote by Helloween4Ever
That's not self esteem, that's arrogance.

ah! that's the word I was looking for, thanks mate!
banned
How are you marketable?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by deadsmileyface
ah! that's the word I was looking for, thanks mate!

boss.
Quote by NotFromANUS

last.fm
Quote by Ponyexpress
I'm a solo artist. I write relatively short songs with with slight degree of instrumental complexity. I have semi-complex chord progressions in my songs. Everything I do is very melodic. A lot of it is sort of rather somber. There is a focus on lyrics. I usually incorporate a couple of guitar tracks, a bass track, vocals, and sometimes percussion. I know my music is good. I believe my vocals are solid more often than not.

Nothing you've just described your music with can even begin to approach any of the following:

interesting/innovative/talented/creative/marketable/worthy of attention

Furthermore you have a laughable notion of how to get noticed.

I would give you advice but truthfully there is no point.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Dec 13, 2013,
Quote by Xiaoxi
Nothing you've just described your music with can even begin to approach any of the following:

You sound like a very positive and optimistic person.
Quote by DarkLiquor
I like you. Compassionate and strong. Glad theres people like you.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
Quote by shelovemyguitar
You sound like a very positive and optimistic person.

I'm just being honest. Sorry but no one who actually has a chance describes their music like this or would even go about it this way.

Some people just "get" it and others don't. Time to stop being delusional while it's still early.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
I'm just being honest. Sorry but no one who actually has a chance describes their music like this or would even go about it this way.

Some people just "get" it and others don't. Time to stop being delusional while it's still early.

Oh shut up. That's just the usual downer talk. I know a couple people who live from their music. You have to work very, very hard and be persistent and you will probably earn 20-25k per year, more if you're lucky, but it is absolutely possible. If you can find someone who can teach you how the music industry works, that's ideal. The internet obviously isn't the place for that because everyone will try to talk you out of it. You don't need to be the next justin bieber to be able to make money out of music.
Quote by DarkLiquor
I like you. Compassionate and strong. Glad theres people like you.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
Why is it arrogant to consider your music to be good?

If I think my music sucks it's not that I will hesitate to point that out, but if I think it's good I won't either. Saying your music is good doesn't convey anything beyond "By my evaluation, I consider my music to be good".
Quote by Xiaoxi

Hi Simon Cowell
Describing your music won't help us, we need to hear it.
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Quote by Aralingh
Why is it arrogant to consider your music to be good?

If I think my music sucks it's not that I will hesitate to point that out, but if I think it's good I won't either. Saying your music is good doesn't convey anything beyond "By my evaluation, I consider my music to be good".

Its not that he thinks or considers his music good, its that he "knows" his music is good.

Quote by Ponyexpress
I know my music is good.
Quote by NotFromANUS

last.fm
Quote by Helloween4Ever
Its not that he thinks or considers his music good, its that he "knows" his music is good.

TS will have to clarify on what he really meant, then. Perhaps he just slipped a wrong phrase, or he's delusional and mislead in his abilities.
Wanna some info on the Indi? Don't listen to a single word anyone on here has to say. Everyone but me that is. Just put your music out and if you like your music and you feel your art is being fulfilled who gives a **** if anyone else likes it. Its your art so as long as you like it **** the rest, most importantly the people on this website.
Well your arrogance is perfect for being a lead singer! how bout I set you up with these 4 other guys that brought us their music and we package you guys as a boyband?

who am I?

[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by JAHellraiser
Well your arrogance is perfect for being a lead singer! how bout I set you up with these 4 other guys that brought us their music and we package you guys as a boyband?

who am I?

Finger Bang?
Man do I love how everyone bitches on this site about music being generic and the same, then when someone mentions trying something new, everyone shuts him down telling him to stop while he's early.

**** these guys dude, if you love making music then keep making music.
Rojam's new and improved band!!!!

Listen a little bit, we DON'T suck!
Quote by Rojam
Man do I love how everyone bitches on this site about music being generic and the same, then when someone mentions trying something new, everyone shuts him down telling him to stop while he's early.

**** these guys dude, if you love making music then keep making music.

Amen and Hail Satan to that...
Quote by ToxXicSixString
Amen and Hail Satan to that...

srs bsns, you got your advice. Make a youtube, a facebook and you can even post your music here.

plenty of ugers make and post their own decent music
ayy lmao
Quote by Axelfox
Hi Simon Cowell

Yes Simon Cowell has to be brutally honest when hundreds of thousands of delusional people think they can sing and they can't. Notice how the people who he does pick can, in fact, sing very well (as well as having the level of charisma that goes above and beyond just being a good singer).

For the record, there is nothing wrong with confidence. The problem is that TS is confident he's got the right thing going, but he doesn't.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
There's a reason that people are being less than friendly. Most of the description he gave us doesn't tell us much about his music at all. It's in the broad category of "music with some complexity." That alone doesn't tell us much of anything.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
^someone who gets it

It says it all when you describe your music with the very definition of music:

"it contains some chord progressions"
"it is melodic"
"there are instrumentation involved such as guitar and sometimes percussion"

TS should be a comedian instead.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Yes Simon Cowell has to be brutally honest when hundreds of thousands of delusional people think they can sing and they can't. Notice how the people who he does pick can, in fact, sing very well (as well as having the level of charisma that goes above and beyond just being a good singer).

For the record, there is nothing wrong with confidence. The problem is that TS is confident he's got the right thing going, but he doesn't.

Actually, how do you know he doesn't?
Have you heard his music?
Maybe he really sucks at the PR part.
Most really successful musicians/artists/bands have PR firms to handle that kind of stuff because most of them suck at PR.
Quote by Ponyexpress
I'm a solo artist. I write relatively short songs with with slight degree of instrumental complexity. I have semi-complex chord progressions in my songs. Everything I do is very melodic. A lot of it is sort of rather somber. There is a focus on lyrics. I usually incorporate a couple of guitar tracks, a bass track, vocals, and sometimes percussion. I know my music is good. I believe my vocals are solid more often than not. My music is the one thing I am proud of in my life. If I submit my music to record companies, and they they recognize my talent, will they deem me unmarketable because I'm a 19 year old dude who doesn't have a band?

I've previously worked with people in the music biz, but not in the United States. I know people who have connections with record industry executives (Sony BMG, Universal, etc) but am not in direct contact with them. the current trend with popular music is that things are starting to get a bit more complex. remember the late 90s and early 2000s when people were focused into making things as simple as possible? it's shifting slowly. you might have a chance.....

but not so fast. sorry to say, but usually what happens is the execs will stumble upon people whom they want to sign. in order for this to happen, you'll need a few things: 1) connection 2) the looks and 3) pure luck. and of course you'll have to know what you're talking about unless you're Lil Wayne.

sending in demos will actually do nothing. what you want to do is work work work until you have several dozen tracks to show, if not hundreds. don't worry about making every track amazing. if you make a hundred tracks, at least one in ten will be amazing. this is the main way to get noticed if you don't have connections.

of course all of this is negligible if you have connections. a whole lot of people who makes loads of money making music.... actually A LOT more than anyone can imagine..... already had some kind of connection with the entertainment industry prior to being boosted to the top by record industry executives. a staggering amount, really. before the days of American Idol and Youtube, the couple ways one would get huge in the popular music industry (meaning non-indie label) is by having connections and just by being insanely lucky. obviously if you just wanna get noticed you gotta be good at what you do and must invest an enormous amount of time to it.

Rule of thumb: 10,000 hours. invest 10,000 hours into what you do. this is roughly ten years. if you started writing music/recording as a pre-teen, you'll get there eventually with the help of the internet. if not, i guess you're out of luck.

good luck.
I dunno, breaking in to it when you're making RIM seems way harder. All I do when I wanna send music to a label I've never sent to before is ask a producer mate who runs the label, add them on FB and then send them a nice message asking where to send music to for them to listen to.

That doesn't really seem like an option for you lot though...screwing

EDIT: Also, I don't get why you lot keep saying to post your music everywhere and anywhere. What does a label want with someone who has no new music to put out?

In my experience it best that only you and a few important people have your tunes. DJ's on the biggest shows you can get them to, label owners...those kind of people. If I sent a tune to a label like "Hey, I've got this tune I wanted you to hear and consider releasing - here's the link to Soundcloud where 2000 people have already heard it" I wouldn't get a reply
Last edited by willT08 at Dec 13, 2013,
get yourself out there. they will want to see that you are active as an independent musician and that you are serious about things before considering signing you/giving you money etc.

practice(!!!)/record demos/play shows/promote yourself (Facebook, youtube, sound cloud, band camp etc.)/make a press kit and a logo (not that hard if you can acquire the right software).

I'm not sure where you are from, but in Canada there are substantial amounts of grants and funding available for musicians to help with recording/touring etc.

it's going to be really hard and a lot of work, but if you put in the right effort and are smart about it it's possible to earn a half-decent living. it will be very hard to make a substantial one though...
Quote by willT08
I dunno, breaking in to it when you're making RIM seems way harder. All I do when I wanna send music to a label I've never sent to before is ask a producer mate who runs the label, add them on FB and then send them a nice message asking where to send music to for them to listen to.

That doesn't really seem like an option for you lot though...screwing

EDIT: Also, I don't get why you lot keep saying to post your music everywhere and anywhere. What does a label want with someone who has no new music to put out?

In my experience it best that only you and a few important people have your tunes. DJ's on the biggest shows you can get them to, label owners...those kind of people. If I sent a tune to a label like "Hey, I've got this tune I wanted you to hear and consider releasing - here's the link to Soundcloud where 2000 people have already heard it" I wouldn't get a reply

Well he says he writes "songs" so I'm assuming that he must have a decent number written or recorded so what's the big deal with sacrificing one or two for exposure? With bands the way they get exposure is by playing live at small venues getting some sort of fanbase and then eventually getting some sort of recognition by a label that their music is marketable. If you have a fanbase you have potential record sales. As TS says he is one lone individual, promoting music online for free initially is a good way to start doing that.
Quote by thegreensquall
ok so one time i was totally wanking and then my mom walked in and my cat was in my room... she knocked first so i grabbed my cat and put it on my lap and started petting it to cover up but then i jizzed on my cat..
to be honest you can't make it in the music business anymore because kanye west's penis is occupying all the free space. sorry
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by Axelfox
If Frank Zappa were still alive he would say that the music industry sucks donkey balls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZazEM8cgt0

he also named his children moon-unit and dweezil so what's your point

Page 1 of 2