#1
I got a minor shock feeling in my arm when I touched the topcorner of the back of my Peavey bandit 112 amp.

It wasn't like I stuck a form in an outlet, but it was an uncomfortable kinda numb feeling.

I'm guessing this isn't supposed to happen, right? What can I do about this? What is causing this?
#3
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
where you playing your guitar at the time?

and to be clear - it wasn't static electricity right?


If it was static, I think I would feel it stop after I touched it. I could feel it as long as my hand was there, and I had it on there for a second or two.

It's like a moderately high voltage. My guitar wasn't plugged in. I was trying to route my audio interface into the return/power amp input of my amp.
I put my hand on the top right corner somewhere into the part where the wood meets the back panel and I got an electric numb feeling in part of my arm.
#5
Quote by ethan_hanus
Open the chassis and check the ground, might be loose.

Do this.

Peavey Bandits aren't exactly the highest quality amplifiers. There could be a simple construction issue with the wiring.
I play guitar
#6
Also check if your sockets are wired correctly. The ground may be missing or not connected. The hot and neutral may be reversed.
#7
Thanks for the info.

I just unplugged the return from my interface and it gave me a shock again when I touched the cable. Really unpleasant to feel.
Obviously something isn't right.

I'll give it a look here later today. Definitely just gonna stick to my speakers for now.
#8
Obviously you have a grounding issue. I have no idea what the Bandit is like as far as getting inside but if you don't feel comfortable just take it to a tech. The thing won't hold lethal charges like a tube amp would but if you are not sure what you are looking for it may be a bugger.

I've heard good things about the Bandits as far as practice amps go. It uses Transtube technology which is what my Vypyr is based off of - so it may be worth fixing.
#9
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Obviously you have a grounding issue. I have no idea what the Bandit is like as far as getting inside but if you don't feel comfortable just take it to a tech. The thing won't hold lethal charges like a tube amp would but if you are not sure what you are looking for it may be a bugger.

I've heard good things about the Bandits as far as practice amps go. It uses Transtube technology which is what my Vypyr is based off of - so it may be worth fixing.


I like it, but I've been using it as a cabinet, and my computer as the pre-amp. Sounds amazing. Just need to get that awful charge the hell out. There is a ground switch thing on the back but I don't think that'll fix it.
#10
Just remember it may only be a tingle because you are fairly well insulated from ground. Standing on a wood floor with shoes might be a minor tingle, while standing on tile over concrete in bare feet could be deadly. I suggest getting a voltmeter and learning how to use it. They can be as cheap as $5 on sale at Harbor Freight.
#11
Quote by fly135
Just remember it may only be a tingle because you are fairly well insulated from ground. Standing on a wood floor with shoes might be a minor tingle, while standing on tile over concrete in bare feet could be deadly. I suggest getting a voltmeter and learning how to use it. They can be as cheap as $5 on sale at Harbor Freight.


It was bare feet on a rug. It was really uncomfortable, a bit painful, but it didn't feel like I was dying or anything. I really don't want to mess with it since I'm not 100% on what to do. I'd rather get someone to check it for me.