Hey there, I've got a Splawn Quickrod. For those not familiar, its a 100 watt hot rodded marshall with EL34's. I'm looking to get an overdrive pedal that will compliment it nicely for a tone similar to Helloween type metal, and enough bite to push the amp to Rammstein levels. Not terribly 80s tone (bc the amp itself pulls that off) but an OD that will have more modern metal tone and some bite. I'm using a keeley modded metal zone which I like, but it doesnt add too much to the amp distortion, just a little teeth and some boost. There are too many Tubescreamer models to choose from. I plan on going to GC and purchasing one of the few tubesc they have, but they only ever have the ibanez ts9 and ts808.
don't worry too much about the tubescreamer thing, it's debatable how much difference there is.

you could also try tweaked tubescreamers- bad monkey, hardwire tube od, way huge green rhino- more or less tubescreamers with bass controls (which is handy since stock tubescreamers cut bass- normally you want that when using a boost, but it's nice to have the option).

a boss sd1 is (to my ears) a little more 80s-sounding- whether you need that is up to you. bit more bite/edge/grit than a ts, while still being in the same ballpark (circuit is pretty close). Maybe slightly less honky with a middy marshall, too.

Much like above, the mxr badass od is a glorified sd1 so might also be worth a try. the bypass in the sd1 isn't great either, from what i hear they get some bleed when they're off.

another option would be a more transparent type overdrive- timmy, boss bd2, digitech screamin blues (glorified bd2, like above), marshall bluesbreaker etc. i like using those for a rhythm tone and then kicking in a ts or sd1-type pedal for leads. but if you only use a boost pedal for leads my own opinion would be that the ts or sd1-types are better at that, they add more mids, compression etc.

EDIT: don't worry about it too much, you have a killer amp and any bog standard ts or sd1-type pedal will probably work fine.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Guitar center's tubes are overpriced rebrands, just to warn you.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Digitech Hardwire Overdrive should do the trick. does the normal tubescreamer thing and has a boost for more distortion when you want to do more sonic damage. I wouldn't think a distortion pedal would be the way to go with your amp at all.
Have u considered an eq pedal? Often with modern metal more gain isnt always the answer. An mxr 10 band can do amazing things! I use a ht5 with a ts9 in front to tighten up the low end, then shape my sound from there with the eq. If the splawn is pretty tight already an od may not be neccesarry
I don't know if you could get your hands on one right now but the Sovereign by Wampler is a sick pedal and works great for a boost as well.

Best regards
Raconteurs Fan Guy
Quote by mugzy384
Have u considered an eq pedal? Often with modern metal more gain isnt always the answer. An mxr 10 band can do amazing things! I use a ht5 with a ts9 in front to tighten up the low end, then shape my sound from there with the eq. If the splawn is pretty tight already an od may not be neccesarry

good idea and a solid point. seems like many players (especially newer ones) tend to heap on the distortion when that really isn't what is needed. any amp can benefit from an overdrive as it gives you another tone shaping tool and a little more umph for solos as well as more tonal options. thru my Peavey Ultra I can add in my overdrive to my clean channel for light overdriven sound, to the crunch channel for either a less saturated lead sound or a more ballsy rhythm tone, and of course for more saturation and a different sound on the Ultra channel for leads.