Hi,

I'm really hitting a brick wall with this TS and running out of ideas.

Nearly everything I make/cover ends up with either of these

And it ends up sounding all the same.

Looking for new ideas to use for type metal riffs or strumming patterns for pop songs and so on.
Any suggestions for music to listen to that has a lot of specifically 6/8 (not 12/8 - 3/4) or know any cool patterns?
Cheers
Try throwing in some dotted notes, none of those examples have any.

Also, consider where the clave is. Judging by the symmetrical shape of most of those examples, it looks like you're dividing it as two groups of 3 eighth notes. Try doing a group of two and then a group of four or vice versa instead of keeping the clave smack dab in the middle.

Hope that helps. Bands like Animals as Leaders and the Fall of Troy do lots of things with time signatures, i.e. the verse of "Laces out Dan!" is in 6/8, for the most part. The intro to "Isolated Incidents" by AAL is in 6/4 time which isn't quite the same, but you could still get ideas from it.
Use some syncopation. This is also pretty usual but IMO pretty cool.
Attachments:
6-8.png
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Awesome! Sounds like a soundtrack rhythm
Thanks. Might actually have nailed it there onelight, that I've thought of it in a limiting way. I'll check out those suggested and try to mix up durations and beats more!
No problem dude. I'll say it again, but really go listen to bands like The Fall of Troy and Animals as Leaders. I discovered TFOT before I discovered AAL but I credit listening to TFOT obsessively as giving me the ability to listen, think, and play in polymeters and odd time signatures.
Quote by fanapathy
Awesome! Sounds like a soundtrack rhythm
Thanks. Might actually have nailed it there onelight, that I've thought of it in a limiting way. I'll check out those suggested and try to mix up durations and beats more!

Yeah. The rhythm I posted is used in Terminator 2 theme song and also in Battlefield theme song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhWs3DVk-FU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg0Tmydj29M
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115