Hi, this is my first post.

I am new to home recording but I'm really loving every minute of.

I wish I would have started soon.

I have a problem that I can't seem to get past no matter how hard I try. When I try to record clean guitars everything goes well but when I venture in to recording distorted guitars I find it really difficult.

I'm not sure if it is my setup?

Currently I am running a USA Highway Series Tele into a Boss DS2 and / or 'You Dirty Rat Pedal' which then goes into my Fender Tweed Amp. I mike it up with a SM57 and / or AT4040 which goes into a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB interface. That goes into my PC and FL Studio 9 until it finally comes out of a pair of KRK Rokit 5's.

Now I think that should be enough to capture a great distorted sound but I just can't get it. I'm trying all kinds of different combo's but with no results.

Can anyone help me out?

This is a sample of what I am getting:

https://soundcloud.com/ste20man/terrible-distortion

Does this give anyone any ideas?

Thanks for your time in advance, Ste.
How are you micing the amp, what's your amp position? Honestly the tone sounds okay to me, but you might want to turn the gain down a little. You honestly don't need as much gain on these things as you might think.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I can't listen on this computer, but the first thing that strikes me is:

Telecaster + Fender Tweed =/= "big distortion." At least not in conventional terms, anyways.

I have a Tele and I like it. It's great for cleaner stuff, funk, blues, country, R+B and classic rock. Billy Squier used a Telecaster on his "Don't Say No" album and it sounds fantastic as a straight-up hard rock guitar. I'm pretty sure he used Marshall amps, though.

But venturing into the territory of "Big Sounding Distortion"... I'm thinking Rob Zombie, Rage Against the Machine, etc. - I just don't see a Tweed and Tele in there.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
I have a Tele and I like it. It's great for cleaner stuff, funk, blues, country, R+B and classic rock.

The other day I just put baritone strings on my cheap tele, put it trough X50 and violated my pants.
That sounds alright to me. What you really need is a bass!
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
Sounds alright. check the phase of the two mics. Use the phase invert switch, one will sound more bassy/full. Use that one. If they both sound weird then move one of the mics until they don't sound weird.

Then - DOUBLE TRACK your guitars, add bass and drums. You don't need a massive thick guitar sound when there's bass and drums there. Your recording will probably fare alright in a mix.
It's a mix of the amp, the guitar, mic placement and production techniques.

Where are you positioning the mic? I'd have it pretty far off-axis to offset the inherent brightness of a Tele into a Fender amp.

Also if 'Fender Tweed' in your case means a Champ...you're never going to be getting convincing heavy drive out of that little thing.