I had just taken out the old stock pickups from my ibanez gio rg i have had for years (one of my first guitars and i still love it) I replaced with Dimarzio EJ custom and matched all leads with the colors of the old pickup (used red , white and ground, taped up green and black) and all im getting is a tinty farty sound instead of fat sustained humbucker tone. im so confused in what i did wrong, dont get me wrong im not by any means a guitar tech. i just thought this would be a simple job. PLz leave feedback and a possible solution (ps i assumed the other wires were used for split coil ?)
-----------------------------------------------
--The GEAR--
Horizon Devices - Precision Drive
AMT D2 Preamp
Boss TU-2
Boss- CS 2
BBE- Green SCREAMER
ESP,LTD MH- 250 NT ,
fitted with SEYMORE DUNCAN NAZGUL AND SENTIENT
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your pickups are probably out of phase, try switching around the red and the white wire to solve that.
even if i have just the one selected?
--The GEAR--
AMT D2 Preamp
Boss TU-2
Boss- CS 2
BBE- Green SCREAMER
ESP,LTD MH- 250 NT ,
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's wired wrong.

1.Solder together the black and white wires.
2.Red goes to switch
3.Green and bare are soldered to ground.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
i learned the problem and i am kinda disappointed with my main mistake ::sigh:: so yes im prepared to be flamed by guitar techs and gear heads and accept it ten fold.

The pickup sound i want is what i assume a "hot sound" lotsa sustain achieved by 300-450 mv output...

this pickyPicky.... "eric johnson custom" is low output 178 mv.
Now i should have known before i bought it , Yes. so all in all i am indeed an idiot. Being no guitar tech i went by the shop owners word and bought them expecting a pickup that has clarity and output for metal genres, MY MAIN GOAL WAS TO HAVE A PUP THAT HAD INDVIDUAL STRING CLARITY DURING CHORDS. ::sigh:: ill see if i can get a replacement.
--The GEAR--
AMT D2 Preamp
Boss TU-2
Boss- CS 2
BBE- Green SCREAMER
ESP,LTD MH- 250 NT ,
Did you not say you want a humbucker for METAL? Or did he recommed it regardless? I like Dimarzio Tone Zone a lot. Very hot sounding, though in warmer way.

*edit* Pretty much opposite from the EJ Custom, loads of low end and mids and very high output.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Dec 14, 2013,
Quote by mikevmpr3
MY MAIN GOAL WAS TO HAVE A PUP THAT HAD INDVIDUAL STRING CLARITY DURING CHORDS. ::sigh:: ill see if i can get a replacement.

Give these a look:
http://www.railhammer.com/index.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by MaaZeus
Did you not say you want a humbucker for METAL? Or did he recommed it regardless? I like Dimarzio Tone Zone a lot. Very hot sounding, though in warmer way.

i know the guy personally and ive brought my guitars in played countless hours on their amps i guess i kinda explained myself wrong :

I wanted a pickup that had similar output to a BKP Aftermath or Warpig. just at the fraction of the price due to budgeting.

I asked for a more vintage tone, because i had played on one of their PRS's and loved the tone it had for metal, and they explained that the pickup in it was actually made from a Gibson pickup machine Paul had purchased from gibson for his factory. Its sounded FANTASTIC. I told him thats kinda what i was going for and he pointed me in that direction. Being i cant just throw a pickup in a guitar store i bought it and was super stoked to install it ( not to mention it looked badass on a guitar that always had open pickups so the nickle plate was pretty sick on a 24 fret ibanez rg) I had no idea what the MV was either for that wasnt on the container of the pickup.

All in all, i guess the phrasing would have been : " i am looking to upgrade my stock pickup with a more medium to semi high output pickup that has an ORGANIC sound" rather than the "Vintage" sound.

We all make mistakes and learn by them i suppose.
--The GEAR--
AMT D2 Preamp
Boss TU-2
Boss- CS 2
BBE- Green SCREAMER
ESP,LTD MH- 250 NT ,
Quote by dannyalcatraz

As for these pickups i am just in awe at the way they look . the chisel or the anvil would be the way to go?
--The GEAR--
AMT D2 Preamp
Boss TU-2
Boss- CS 2
BBE- Green SCREAMER
ESP,LTD MH- 250 NT ,
The Anvil is the hottest pickup they make, and it is meant for the bridge only. The Chisel is still pretty hot, and is available for bridge and neck. RailHammer's sister company, Reverend, uses them in several guitars. The Reeves Gabrels II has the dual Chisel configuration- look up online demos of it to get a good feel for them. I forget which, but either the Bayonet or Kingbolt has the Anvil in the bridge.

FWIW, I've been thinking about getting some for a guitar that is slated to be tuned CGDAEG, and already has coil taps installed. They dont have any audio samples of them split. So I contacted Joe Naylor- owner of both Reverend Guitars and RailHammer pickups- about how they sounded used that way. He said they were very good even when split.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 14, 2013,