I currently have a fender blues jr. iii amp and it's great but it's hard to find a nice rock sound without using a few pedals and even then it doesn't sound that great.

I've always loved vox amps, and I recently found a Vox Pathfinder 15R amp for cheap at my local music store. I want it just to have an amp for the times when I do play some heavier stuff.

In my band I play some fuzzy rock and punk stuff from early Misfits, Joan Jett, Ty Segall/Fuzz and on my own sometimes I play shitty pop punk stuff like early paramore and new found glory. I use a jazzmaster neck pickup and an alnico ii pro in the bridge.

Would this amp work well for some of these fuzzy rock, punk, and pop punk sounds? Every demo I've seen the guy is playing classic rock and I can't really tell.

Thanks
You'll struggle hearing yourself in a band with a 15 watt SS amp... unless there's no drummer or you practice very quietly.

You should try the amp at the music store so you know if you like it or not. I usually like Vox amps for medium/heavy stuff.
There are many amps out there that would be more suitable. I would look around a bit. Good luck and play a bunch to find the one.
Raconteurs Fan Guy
Ive never known tone to be that important to punk. If it gets loud and distorts in amy way then itll do the job just fine imo
The pathfinder isn't really an amp for heavier music. It gets a lot of love on places like TGP (possibly too much, in my opinion, but it does admittedly sound pretty good for what it is i.e. a cheap solid state practise amp which does a pretty good vox impersonation), but they don't really play heavier music.

Yeah, I'd pass. Now, if it's cheap enough and you could also use a vox-type sound for your music, then go for it. But if you need heavier tones I think you'll be disappointed, there are far better options if you ask me, even for cheap.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Save up and buy a used Fender tube amp and a pedal. My hot rod deville was only $350 used, and you can buy a used fuzz pedal for under $100 generally. I don't know much about pop punk, but I have a friend whose band plays that stuff and he uses a Fender with a Fulltone OCD. If you're serious about playing in a band, or will be in the future, you'd be short-changing yourself by getting something that's 15 watts and solid state.
she already has a fender tube amp

also why you'd buy a fender (excepting the supersonic and a few specific ones like that) for distortion instead of just a distortion-orientated amp if you know that's what you want is kinda beyond me.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 14, 2013,
Jet City.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
My parents bought me the Blues Jr before I knew what I wanted. It's a great amp and I do use it a lot for cleans, but after playing and learning more I realized I would also like to get a heavier sound as well.
yeah no worries the BJ is pretty nice, but as you say, it's more aimed at cleans and lightish overdrive. you need to be careful you don't spend more on pedals etc. trying to persuade it to do heavy stuff than would just buy you a more suitable amp which'll do those tones out of the box (assuming you have room for two amps, of course). Though some of those things you said you played might need a fuzz pedal and would likely work with the BJ as well.

as cath says, jet city is pretty nice for high gain on a budget. there are some crazy good deals on them currently in europe, but I don't know if you're in europe or the USA or elsewhere.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 15, 2013,