I just bought new strings for my Ibanez SZ320, i wanted to tune it to Drop A (B F# D A E A) so i bought 13-68 gauge strings (i saw it in some forums before)
the first 5 strings sounds like always, bright and clear but the 6th sounds bad, like i'm palm muting it, the tension is perfect btw

Demo: https://soundcloud.com/luxferre-t/drop-a

You know a fix, or something?
I'll t
It's normal. It's because the string is so thick. This is why people like to use longer scale lengths. Get used to low tension and use a 62.
Want to Buy:

UV7PWH
68 is too thick bro, whats your neck length? 60 should do the job.
Yeah, 68 is clearly too thick for your guitar. I mean, you could try fiddling with the EQ and such, but I suspect that the designers of your guitar weren't figuring on people tuning to Drop A (especially since Ibanez figures you'd just buy one of 7 string models, if you wanted to tune that low). As a result, the pickups are not going to pick up a string of that gauge that well. I'd try out a 62.
The tension from 13-68 is enough to take a Les Paul to Drop Abyss. And give you that bassy, sludgy rumble on high gain. Way overkill for Drop A. From 12-60 to 13-62 is what you need.

That said it does sound bit wierd. Biggest I have had in my guitars has been DR 13-65 (was great for A, too tight for B) and it didnt sound like a bass guitar like yours does.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
i found that demo soo comical but yeah strong guages need to be lightened for a shorter scale
-------------
--The Rig--
Peavey 5150 Head
BBE 362 SONIC MAXIMIZER
dbx 266xl COMPRESSOR GATE
Q215 PEAVEY EQ
Mesa 4x12 Standard Rectifier cab
ESP,LTD Viper 400 baritone (fitted with EMG81,85 actives)
-------------
There's certainly something wrong with it. I use 13-60 (would use even thicker if the tuners could handle it) for C Standard on 25" scale and it sounds nothing like this. Maybe a dead string? Check if the string is hitting something...
How on earth can you guys play a 60 in A? Even the 62-68 that some have mentioned must be like spaghetti.

I use a 72 in B on 24.75 and that feels perfect with. Tried tuning it to a but it felt like a piece of loose baling twine.
Quote by DanishViking
How on earth can you guys play a 60 in A? Even the 62-68 that some have mentioned must be like spaghetti.

I use a 72 in B on 24.75 and that feels perfect with. Tried tuning it to a but it felt like a piece of loose baling twine.

60 is bit too loose but it works. 62 on A offers about same tension as 42 on E and its just fine. You must like REALLY high tensions because 72 in B is tighter than 52 on E.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
60 is bit too loose but it works. 62 on A offers about same tension as 42 on E and its just fine. You must like REALLY high tensions because 72 in B is tighter than 52 on E.

I do prefer fairly high tension. But this is not actually that bad. Still easy to bend and it feels very responsive.
Yeah nah that ain't right. I play an 8 string with a 60 and 90 for the low B and low low E respectively. The 90 has a bit of a mute that you hear in that clip but nowhere near that much, it's a 25.5" scale too which is short for an 8 string.

You need to widen the nut slot for that 68. If you've gone from even a 60 to that 68 without widening the slot a little bit, then the string's not going to sit in it properly. This isn't just a scale length/thickness issue.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.