Hey guys, me again, I'm a huge nerd, so what string gauge do you guys use and why? I currently use 10-46 regular slinky, but really want something thicker, maybe flatwounds. I was thinking 12s, would my guitars be okay with this? How would my tone change? I play rocks experimental music in standard drop d and Eb.
Try 11's before 12's I say. two gauges can be quite a big difference in feel.
It would make your tone +2 better and all around better guitarist
>Gibson & Schecter Guitars
>Orange Amps
>And some neighbours to piss off
^ Wut?

I use 09s in standard.

But everybody has their own preferences. You just need to try different strings and find out which you like the best.

Flatwounds aren't usually suggested for guitar. We have had these threads before and people have said they sound really muddy with distortion. You can of course try them but what I've heard of, many people who have tried them have never used them again.

My friend uses 11s in standard tuning on his SG and they work well. I don't know about 12s. So maybe first try 11s and see how they feel and then try 12s if you want.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I've used 10-52 in E standard for a while now; if you want it thicker at the bottom end and still want to be able to play lead at all, I'd recommend it. Especially on a Gibson scale length it lets you play a bit more heavily.
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Dec 14, 2013,
Is use 11- 52's on my gibson. Tone usually is a bit better with heavier string gauge, but when amplified you win't notice that much of a difference, especially if it's fresh strings you'r playing. It comes down to Personal preference.

One big thing though: if you use a gibson style bridge (hardtail) Try putting in the strings backwards, it's what Page, Gibbons, Bonamassa etc do. Like this you can play heavier string gauges but the pressure on 11's will be more like 10's. To clarify, check the pic.

http://www.google.be/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=billy+gibbons+strings+bridge&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=z_59RNEHRcInfM&tbnid=l2dFs_7yXBRxMM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sweetwater.com%2Finsync%2Fshould-i-top-wrap-my-les-paul%2F&ei=IGCsUrvGHM_SsgautoHACw&bvm=bv.57967247,d.Yms&psig=AFQjCNEJdGRT0BqvqpqPXFdy6qaQbLYEXw&ust=1387114908523868
all about playability. if you bends are off pitch because you just dont like that much tension....well, you sound like crap.

get something that matches your playing style and gives the playability you need. priority 1. this counts for drop runing where you may want a ticker string.

on a gibson scale length, i do 10-52s on anything larger i do 9-46s. i have a 25 scale length carvin and i run 9-46 hybrids / heavy bottoms. ok for drop D, still work well with my lead playing.

i want effortless. i never wantto have to think about anything. just play. if i dont like a bend? done. no good.

i need to pull off my moves like there were my strings.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I really appreciate all the conversation, you guys have really helped a lot! I definitely want something heavier, so I'll probably pick up a set of 11s and throw them on my tele. But keep the thoughts coming, do you guys find that with heavier strings you have to do a complete set up more frequently?
I like 9's on 25.5" scale and 10's on 24.75" scale. I don't know what to string this 24" scale Jag with though, maybe 11's?
Quote by 2PtDescartes
I like 9's on 25.5" scale and 10's on 24.75" scale. I don't know what to string this 24" scale Jag with though, maybe 11's?

At least 10-52, especially if it's got one of the old-style Jaguar bridges that rocks slightly, it needs fairly thick strings. Realistically you should probably be looking at 11s or thicker, the tremolo will mess up a lot of you have light strings on it, cause the system predates the rise of thin strings and relies on a good string tension to work properly.
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Dec 14, 2013,
i use 11's in standard on all of my guitars. i personally like the extra tension and it does beef up the sound at least a little.

i just set up my friend's les paul with d'addario 12's and they felt pretty heavy for the little bit i played it. i would try jumping one gauge at a time.

as long as you know how to set up the Jag correctly, you can really run whatever, but K33nbl4d3 is right, they were designed with i believe 12 gauge strings in mind, which eliminated alot of the bridge problems because of the extra tension