Hey guys

Well I just got accepted into BIMM, the music college in Brighton to do the professional musicianship degree in guitar and I currently own as an amp the peavey vypyr 30, which I personally hate as I just think it sounds too digital and shit, so I want a really good valve amp that I can gig with in clubs that I can hook up with an effects pedal to get the best sound I can. My guitars are the epiphone dot and a eddie van halen 5150 guitar made by someone somewhere a long time ago.

If anybody has any ideas as to a good effects pedal I can use then that would be extra helpful, thanks a lot
Usually a Vypyr tube 60 or a Jet City or an Egnater Rebel or a Bugera V22.
What kind of music will you be playing mostly?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
A bit more info would be nice but for £800 you could get on thomann:
Line 6 Pod HD500: 311£
Harley Benton G212 Vintage: 159£
Jet City 100H: 327£

Thats 797£ and you'll have an awesome setup for gigging and quiet practice.
Yeah jet city is hard to beat for the money, and it'd leave some other money over for other purchases in the future in case you get to BIMM and find you need to buy other stuff.

You could even cheap out a bit more and get the 50 watt head or one of the combos (and swap the speaker). Up to you.

i'd probably get an od boost pedal as well (~£30-£40) to use with the jet city.

Depends on what he wants to play, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm mostly looking for a really good, not heavily tampered with hard rock/psycadelic rock sound. I play a lot of zeppelin, white stripes, cream, aerosmith, 13th floor elevators, the doors, pink floyd, hendrix etc I want a lot of bite pretty much while still retaining a good tone
Last edited by ryan.duffin.10 at Dec 14, 2013,
The Jet City should work for that stuff, if your willing to go used something of the Marshall JCM DSL line would be nice too.
The JCA-22 should be perfect for clubs.

http://www.ampfactory.com/22h-custom/

Customize that bitch. Select the vintage overdrive and vintage crunch options and you'll be golden.

EDIT: I only just realized that they are only shipping the custom jobs in America right now. So, In light of this I recommend the JCA20HV http://www.zzounds.com/item--JETJCA20HV
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Last edited by Maineguitarist at Dec 14, 2013,
Quote by ryan.duffin.10
I'm mostly looking for a really good, not heavily tampered with hard rock/psycadelic rock sound. I play a lot of zeppelin, white stripes, cream, aerosmith, 13th floor elevators, the doors, pink floyd, hendrix etc I want a lot of bite pretty much while still retaining a good tone

The jet city might be a bit modern-sounding for those type of tones. It'll work at a pinch, but yeah. I reckon there might be better options.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ryan.duffin.10

in UK then look for a good basic Laney or Marshall. you'll need a fuzz pedal for Hendrix, Doors and certainly the 13th Floor Elevators. no amp by itself is really going to give you all those sounds without some pedals.
Quote by monwobobbo
in UK then look for a good basic Laney or Marshall. you'll need a fuzz pedal for Hendrix, Doors and certainly the 13th Floor Elevators. no amp by itself is really going to give you all those sounds without some pedals.

Yeah, it's essentially the whole set up I really need to figure out besides my guitars pretty much. I was thinking of getting an amp with just the basic gain controls and then putting it with a multi effects pedal, but It's a difficult decision especially when it's so much money (a lot for me to own anyway)
Quote by ryan.duffin.10
Yeah, it's essentially the whole set up I really need to figure out besides my guitars pretty much. I was thinking of getting an amp with just the basic gain controls and then putting it with a multi effects pedal, but It's a difficult decision especially when it's so much money (a lot for me to own anyway)

that can work but may not be your best bet if playing out. have yet to hear a mfx fuzz that was good(same with wah). seems like an amp with channel switching and a couple of basic pedals would do you fine. figure a wah, overdrive, fuzz and perhaps a delay and you would be good to go for all you mentioned. I play much of the same stuff and have a pretty basic setup myself. may not nail all the tones you mentioned but should get close enough.
Quote by monwobobbo
that can work but may not be your best bet if playing out. have yet to hear a mfx fuzz that was good(same with wah). seems like an amp with channel switching and a couple of basic pedals would do you fine. figure a wah, overdrive, fuzz and perhaps a delay and you would be good to go for all you mentioned. I play much of the same stuff and have a pretty basic setup myself. may not nail all the tones you mentioned but should get close enough.

Yeahh those pedals are all you need really

I'd get a harley benton/joyo overdrive, £30
Electro harmonix Big Muff/Nano Big muff, £30-£50
Boss DD7 £100
Crybaby wah £50-100

I'd look for a used Orange Rocker 30/Peavey Classic 30 Combo if I were you

but if you wanna get a head and cab then either jet city or Orange rocker 30 head with a Harley benton vintage cab

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
Quote by blything09

Boss DD7 £100
Crybaby wah £50-100

but if you wanna get a head and cab then either jet city or Orange rocker 30 head with a Harley benton vintage cab

I have been looking into this setup with the Orange Rocker 30 and pedals and it seems pretty good, unless anybody thinks otherwise? For this amp, would it suffice playing club gigs in terms of volume?
No amp really has enough volume to be played at 99 out of 100 clubs unless you just mind the first 5 rows to hear what you're playing.
That's the main reason why most clubs have PA systems - so you get your amp mic'ed up and the sound comes out from the PA speakers and everybody hears everything loud and clear.
That's theoretically, it doesn't really work that well but's a hell of a lot better than just the amp.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by ryan.duffin.10
I have been looking into this setup with the Orange Rocker 30 and pedals and it seems pretty good, unless anybody thinks otherwise? For this amp, would it suffice playing club gigs in terms of volume?

Yeahh its plenty loud enough, I've gigged with mine many times, you only have to have it halfway plus you'd probably have it mic'd up anyway

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Dec 15, 2013,
I'd recommend checking out the Traynor YCV amps for a nice british sound. I'll recommend the Peavy Classic series as well
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Parker Nitefly SA
Traynor YCV50 Blue
Quote by blything09

Boss DD7 £100
Crybaby wah £50-100

+1
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by SpiralArchitec7
You cant go wrong with a used but not abused Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.
Upgrade your guitar pickups. A Fulltone OCD and a Wampler Super plex
Will go a long long way

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=0&forumid=33#

i would never recommend an HRD, the cleans aren't bad but the OD channel is terrible. why not get something that can get better both. some of them also have issues with the wrong type of pots for volume controls.

i would look for a peavey classic30/50, etc. nice little amps, good tone and they are cheap and they are everywhere.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Marshall Vintage Modern 50 Watt, they don't go for high prices here and they will do exactly what you need.
Marshall 50 Watt Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
As you're in the Uk, try a Laney LC30.
My Gear:- A guitar, a guitar lead, a guitar amplifier. Or sometimes just an acoustic guitar!