Karl Pilkington: mong,manc,moaner,genius,idiot, head like a f*cking orange

I thing it's time for UG to accept it's true higher power, Karl Pilkington aka Bullshit Man

Anyone a fan of this guy, I first heard of him when An Idiot Abroad started a couple of years ago, at first I thought he was just written by Ricky Gervais and Steven Merchant but after listening to the old podcasts and XFM shows from over 10 years ago, he references old stories too much for him to be a character.

Anyway, the final episode of The Moaning of Life airs Tuesday which was postponed because of what happened in the Philippines, where the episode is set.

So has anyone listened to the old Xfm shows or podcasts ?
Last edited by lemmyisgod97 at Dec 14, 2013,
innit
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
he's solid but i cant stand the other two.

I like Gervais and Merchant, but he's far wittier than both of them put together, a lot of both Gervais and Merchant's stand up and their show Extras is inspired by stuff Karl says on the XFM shows.
He's also great at putting Steve down when he has a go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Odnan2eQfF8
karl pilkington is lovely

ricky gervais is shit
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Burgery

ricky gervais is shit

He's a dick now, but he's still funny, I think people can't seperate their hatred for him personally and his work.
I like Pilkington.

To me, Gervais gives out an impression of an untactful obnoxious douche. I don't know if thats really him or just an act.

I don't know anything about the third guy.
I follow karlpilkingtonquotes on twitter. My favourite so far is "I don't understand why people take pictures of mimes. Everyone looks like a mime in a picture."
Quote by -Mantra-
I like Pilkington.

To me, Gervais gives out an impression of an untactful obnoxious douche. I don't know if thats really him or just an act.

I don't know anything about the third guy.

Steven Merchant was the real "genius" behind The Office, Ricky Gervais only got more famous because he was the actor.
Quote by MadClownDisease
I follow karlpilkingtonquotes on twitter. My favourite so far is "I don't understand why people take pictures of mimes. Everyone looks like a mime in a picture."

Karl set up a verified twitter account last week, his only post is
"I don't do twitter cos I think its daft but I do have a YouTube channel."
Last edited by lemmyisgod97 at Dec 14, 2013,
he's great, the thing is he comes up with witty stuff but he express it in a rather stupid way so it seems like hes daft
Quote by Burgery

ricky gervais is shit

Yeah pretty much but Derrek was cool at times
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
Yeah pretty much but Derrek was cool at times

Karl was undoubtedly a far better actor than Gervais in that though. Karl said something amazing about acting in Derek in an interview, I'll see if I can find it...
Quote by Thrashtastic15
he's solid but i cant stand the other two.

Merchant's grown on me. Ricky Gervais is still a monumental twat.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Bleh I can't believe I spelled Derek like that. Yeah but Karl basically played himself in Derek, no acting was even necessary. Hell it sounded like he even wrote the lines himself. Gervais had to play his total opposite.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
I can't find it on youtube (so sorry if you're not UK and can't watch this, I don't know how accessible 4od is) but the 2 minute section from about 5:00 onwards in this is amazing.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/derek/4od#3494898

I find it amazing how such a no-nonsense dim guy could take to acting so well.

EDIT: Obviously the reason that clip is so emotional is a lot clearer in the context of the whole episode.
Quote by MadClownDisease
I can't find it on youtube (so sorry if you're not UK and can't watch this, I don't know how accessible 4od is) but the 2 minute section from about 5:00 onwards in this is amazing.

EDIT: Obviously the reason that clip is so emotional is a lot clearer in the context of the whole episode.

He's doing method acting already
Quote by MadClownDisease

This is at http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/19/karl-pilkington-quits-acting-after-having-to-wear-fing-stupid-wig-in-derek-4054306/

"Karl Pilkington has announced that he has quit acting after his stint in Derek, in which he was forced to wear a ‘f***ing stupid wig’.

Speaking at the launch of his new show, The Moaning Of Life, Pilkington said he didn’t think he was any good at acting and that he also hadn’t enjoyed his experience of appearing in Ricky Gervais’ latest TV project.

‘It’s not for me,’ he said. ‘I gave it a go but I didn’t like it.

‘I’m doing a little bit in the new Derek but not as much.’

He even said that he thought the experience of being on Derek had made him retrospectively enjoy An Idiot Abroad better.
‘As much as I complain about being away from home, I look back on it and go, “That was good”,’ he explained.

‘When I did the stuff in Derek, I’m in a lock-up in Uxbridge. You’re sat in a caravan, waiting to be called… and I had that f***ing stupid wig on.

‘People go, “Oh, you’re quite good in it”. I think I got away with it – it wasn’t acting!

‘I can put myself in a situation dead easy and get wound up by it, but for me, if you’d said, “Right, that’s brilliant Karl, [now] do it in Irish” – that to me is a proper actor!

‘If you can’t do that stuff, then you’re not really acting, you’re just remembering s**t.’
I like all three, but Pilkington takes the cake.

He seems a lot happier with life in The Moaning of Life and I'm genuinely happy for him. He actually SMILES and laughs during that show. It's amazing.
I show the youtube clip of him selling his Pilko Pump Pants on price drop tv to classes at any opportunity I have.
Watch him in Derek, he's actually pretty good.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Has anyone seen Steven Merchants new show, Hello Ladies, what I find interesting in the trailer is the part where the women explains that she spent the summer in Dublin, Leesons Street specifically, is that street is known for where prostitutes hang out, but it's funny that a place that people joke about in Ireland, is mentioned in an American show, written by a British bloke, I think Steve likes the Ladies of the Night.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPEYvhOL_dI
Love all three of 'em. I could go wild about Gervais's stand-up and whatnot... But if it's not your cup 'o tea, no amount of my bitchin' will change that.

Also, I should probably go acquire me some seasons of An Idiot Abroad right now, saw quite a few episodes on TV, hilarious stuff.
Tell me who's that writin'...
The Moaning of Life>An Idiot Abroad
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Karl is brilliant. Pretty much everything that leaves his mouth is funny and surprisingly true. The way he just says what is on his mind, even to peoples faces, he is one of a kind.

It's also nice to see somebody from my local area being well know, especially somebody as common as he is. If his shows are shown in the US, hopefully it may shatter that stupid 'Londoner' stereotype every British person seems to be in US shows...Imagine if Hugh Grant was replaced by Karl in all his films...I would probably watch them then.

I can't stand Gervais though. He really grinds my gears and I don't think any of his stand up or shows are particularly funny either. It also bugs me that he takes credit for everything. Has anybody seen the Rickey Gervais show? I don't even understand why it is called that, nobody watches it for him and the entire thing is pretty much centered around Karl.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Watch him in Derek, he's actually pretty good.

I cried so hard at the finale.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Yeah, he's great in Derek
the best thing in it, and I don't know why
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by link no1
Karl is brilliant. Pretty much everything that leaves his mouth is funny and surprisingly true. The way he just says what is on his mind, even to peoples faces, he is one of a kind.

It's also nice to see somebody from my local area being well know, especially somebody as common as he is. If his shows are shown in the US, hopefully it may shatter that stupid 'Londoner' stereotype every British person seems to be in US shows...Imagine if Hugh Grant was replaced by Karl in all his films...I would probably watch them then.

I can't stand Gervais though. He really grinds my gears and I don't think any of his stand up or shows are particularly funny either. It also bugs me that he takes credit for everything. Has anybody seen the Rickey Gervais show? I don't even understand why it is called that, nobody watches it for him and the entire thing is pretty much centered around Karl.

I think The Ricky Gervais Show is taken from the old Xfm Radio shows I think, The Ricky Gervais Show is a bit shit though because it's all edited whereas the source material flows much better and is in context.
Quote by link no1

It's called that because when they were first broadcast (actually I think they were podcasts, but either way) nobody knew Karl Pilkington. Gervais was by far the best known.

It's the same reason An Idiot Abroad is called that. They wanted to put Karl's name in the title, but nobody would care because nobody had any idea who he was.

EDIT: I'm glad to hear some approval for Derek. For obvious reasons people were very sceptical and critical when it was first announced, but it was actually quite good a lot of the time. I'm pretty sure I said this in the last Gervais thread as well, but Gervais was by far the worst part of that programme. Karl and whoever played the head nurse were great though.
Last edited by MadClownDisease at Dec 14, 2013,
I've tried watching Ricky's stand up but I think it's awful, Steve's stand up dvd was quite good though.
Karl's a genius.
So how am I supposed to take anything you say seriously,
when you've swapped free will for faith, hope and pre-destiny?
I love the ricky gervais show, not a huge fan of his stand up but his comedies are good

steven merchant is brilliant in whatever he does

Karl is very funny
Quote by MadClownDisease
I'm glad to hear some approval for Derek. For obvious reasons people were very sceptical and critical when it was first announced, but it was actually quite good a lot of the time. I'm pretty sure I said this in the last Gervais thread as well, but Gervais was by far the worst part of that programme. Karl and whoever played the head nurse were great though.

I think Gervais is what carried that show.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.