yes another 6505 question. i have a chance to get a brand new 6505 212 combo for $800(cad). My favorite bands at the moment are down, corrosion of conformity, and sabbath. Can this amp get me there?
It could do doom if you really have to but it's not the most ideal amp for that type of music.
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
It should be able to get you there with the right pedals (maybe a fuzz for Sabbath), but there may be better options out there for you. It's a great amp for modern, more extreme metal, and there's a reason so many bands use them. That said, the bands you listed don't really fit into that category.

Another thing to keep in mind is that that amp is about the size of a 412 cabinet (just shorter) and weighs just shy of 100 pounds. If you'll be moving it around a lot I think a head + cab makes more sense.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Check out a Jet City JCA50 (or 100). Both the JCA and the 6505 are based on the same amp (Soldano SLO100) but Peavey took a different direction. The Jet City would be a bit looser and smoother which is more ideal for you.
i am a home player who doesnt have to move it around much, and volume isnt a big deal either. But where i live there isnt alot of different choices. From what i seen my choices would be the 6505, a tiny terror, or maybe something from hughes and kettner. If it helps i have an ec-1000 with emgs, and a jackson dk2 with duncans. any help would be great.
OH and i did see a marshall dsl 40c and a marshall slash combo the other day to. Unfortunately long and mcquaid is all i have around here and their selection isnt the greatest. unless i want to buy blind and order something i havent played
Have a look at Blackstar, they'll definitely get you there between the HTs and the HT Metals...that way you'll be covered nicely whether you progress to heavier or softer music
Quote by dk2guy
Unfortunately long and mcquaid is all i have around here and their selection isnt the greatest. unless i want to buy blind and order something i havent played

Out of all the amps you mentioned, the 6505 212 is the best deal. You can only get lunbox amps from Orange and H&K around that price... And you would probably need some extra watts for doom.

So if you can only buy from your local store then maybe a fuzz pedal into the clean channel of 6505 is the best you can get. Out of the fuzzes long & mcquade has, try the Way Huge Swollen Pickle and the Fulltone 70 fuzz.
Last edited by godgrinder at Dec 14, 2013,
My band has the exact same influences, and I myself run the 6505+ head through a Mesa cab. Although tonewise it doesn't exactly give you that tone, it is still a great amp. I also run a TS9 into the front and it sounds awesome. An orange Rockerverb is the amp I'd absolutely love to have, but price wise I just couldn't afford it. The Peavey is def worth it and you can get some great tones out of it.
Orange OR15 would be great for doom/stoner rock

Stay away from the Blackstar HT series, they are very mediocre at best.

I'd try the Marshall DSL40c and see if you like it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate