Hello everyone,
I need some folks in the know to school me if you would please.
I am in the market for a chorus pedal but am undecided as to which brand to get and if I am further ahead to get some kind of multi-effect unit or just a simple stomp box unit.

I am not educated much as far as technology is concerned and some of the multi units I have been looking at appear at first glance to seriously over complicate what I am wanting to accomplish for now. ( I am a technology moron!)
Down the road I may find that I need or want additional effects and that may warrant a multi style pedal but for now all I need is chorus and I am more confused on this then I should be.
If I get a plain chorus pedal what are some good one's to look into?
If I get a multi pedal for a few more bucks...what is good and what is not?
I will be using this to gig with so for me simple is better.....
Any advice on this would be very helpfull,
thanks in advance.
xhairs
Budget?
Style of music?
Current gear?
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

dude if you need a chorus pedal and that is your need then that's the answer. on the other hand if you feel you will need other fx then perhaps a mfx unit would be the answer. all about needs. some players like to have a huge variety of fx available with midi control etc others not. personally I run 4 fx ( wah, overdrive, delay and phaser) and that works fine for me (I do have a separate Hendrix board with wah, fuzz and either an old chorus or phaser to kinda get univibe sound). plenty of players keep it simple and many get far more complex. do what suites you.
^ agreed
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My music is anything from Link Wray and Los Straightjackets style and sound on the lighter side to harder metal and everything in between, quite varied.
Budget is not too much of an issue....I don't wish to drop $500 on some monster set up that I will not be able to understand how to use but I don't want a $19.99 budget stomp box either.

I was looking at the BOSS and MXR chorus pedals and will probably lean in the direction of a single pedal but don't know the difference's in strutural quality and the sound/performance quality of ANY pedal....I only ever used an oldschool MXR distortion plus box back in the 80"s when I was learning a lot of Randy Rhoads riffs. And on the other hand a multi pedal with phase/flange, etc... may proove to be quite usefull if I can figure out how it works and be able to switch back and forth all over the place while playing live onstage.
Speaking of which I really like the cleaner sounds like on Revelation Mother Earth and even the cleaner chorus sounds of some of the earlier Metallica songs....I just don't know which pedal to buy that is 1-going to last and 2-perform the way I want it to.
What ever I do I wish to keep it as simple as possible.
I think the newer boss chorus pedals are digital (don't quote me on that, just I think they are). If you like older chorus sounds you'd probably want an analogue chorus.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I think the newer boss chorus pedals are digital (don't quote me on that, just I think they are). If you like older chorus sounds you'd probably want an analogue chorus.

you may have to go on ebay but try to find a DOD FX 65 stereo chorus pedal. they are an 80s made and excellent chorus that will give you what you mentioned. bought mine new in the mid 80s and haven't felt the need to get another chorus (unlike any other fx I have had over the years). they can be had pretty cheap
Quote by xhairs1970

I am not educated much as far as technology is concerned and some of the multi units I have been looking at appear at first glance to seriously over complicate what I am wanting to accomplish for now. ( I am a technology moron!)

You'll probably want to fix this, rather than making it a badge of honor <G>.

Quote by xhairs1970
I will be using this to gig with so for me simple is better.....

Actually, this is part of the reason that I went to a Pod XT Live originally (and more recently to a foot pedal with a Pod HD, ala the HD500).

If you're only looking at a chorus pedal for now, buy some run of the mill chorus pedal and go. The issue is that you usually add pedals here and there and eventually you've lost your dream of "simple" and have a pedalboard. When you have a pedalboard, you now have a snarl of connector cables and one of those little octopus things that provides power to all the pedals and suddenly you have complication and a whole LOT of potential points of failure. Worse, if you want to make wholesale changes (turn off the chorus, adjust the distortion pedal, tweak the delay) all at once, you'll find that you don't have big enough or dexterous enough feet to accomplish anything. You'll also find that you change your mind about certain pedals, buy new ones, displace the old ones, etc. I kept all my old ones and have ended up with two big plastic flap-top bins of pedals (some of which are now "vintage"(!)).

In short, buying individual pedals is often the path to true complication.

With the multi-units like the Pod HD-500, you have endless choices. But what you don't have are the connection snarls (and possibilities for connector failure) that you have with a standard pedalboard. Moreover, you eliminate a lot of tap-dancing when you can preset your setlist and just move from single stomp to single stop. If you're gigging, this is simplicity (even if born of complication). Want to tune in the middle of a set? The unit has a tuner display built in and automatically mutes. No separate pedal.

Buying individual pedals is also surprisingly expensive.

Last year I picked up some Wampler Pedals. Because you buy them one at a time, you don't realize how much you're spending. But at $199 or so at a crack, and even when I found discounts, my records showed me spending well over $1000. I don't even want to open up those flap-top bins and record what each of those pedals would cost me if I were purchasing them today.

I don't use everything on a multi-unit.

On the other hand, the multi-unit allows endless experimentation and options that I simply don't have unless I have storage units full of gear. You can use it to audition changes in pedals, amps, cabinets, etc. if only to see if a particular piece might interest you.

Gigging becomes much simpler.

At this point, I have a pair of full-range speakers and a power amp. The full-range speakers will handle 900W each and the power amp puts out 1500W. Obviously I don't ordinarily need that much, but these particular speakers weight under 40 lbs apiece and can be one-handed into any venue. The power amp weighs under 10 lbs. Compare that to the 75-100 lb weight of a single 4x12 (no head) and the bulk of getting it up a set of stairs.
I usually just need one of these speakers. I can toss a gig bag with one or two guitars (see the Mono 2-guitar bag) on my back with the shoulder straps, carry the speaker cab in one hand, the power amp in the other and sling a bag with the HD500 and several cables over whatever shoulder feels good. One trip from the Honda Fit <G> or the Ferrari FF (whatever you've got).

I've got the user presets ready to go according to the set list, and labeled (in the unit) accordingly. Now that's simplicity.
above post is very well stated and very true. having said that I will offer the other side of the coin. I use very few pedals and don't indulge in tap dancing on them either. overdrive, wah, delay and phaser. they are never all on and actually rarely are more than 2 on at a time. if a pedal fails then you are only out 1 effect if your multi fx unit craps out then you got nothing. yes pedals can be expensive and over the years you will probably replace them as well. well better and newer mfx units are released every year to so you never totally get away from that. best bet is to really examine your needs and go with what is the simplest method to do what you want. there is no right or wrong.
Quote by monwobobbo
if a pedal fails then you are only out 1 effect if your multi fx unit craps out then you got nothing.

This is a good point. OTOH, backups are always important if you're gigging, and that's pretty much across the board. Ideally, you have one of the exact same thing in your backup kit (and that includes guitars, amps, pedals and even cables). That's not always economically possible (well SURE I have a backup Axe-FX II and a backup MC101 back in the car, and I keep the spare LP R9 in the Mono dual gig bag...doesn't everyone? <G>. I've actually got a Pod HD (the bean) and an FBV Express II foot pedal as a backup for the HD500, and it's programmed exactly the same as the HD500 is.

Honestly, I've never actually had a pedal OR a modeler go out <*knock on wood*>. But it certainly can.
Quote by monwobobbo
you may have to go on ebay but try to find a DOD FX 65 stereo chorus pedal. they are an 80s made and excellent chorus that will give you what you mentioned. bought mine new in the mid 80s and haven't felt the need to get another chorus (unlike any other fx I have had over the years). they can be had pretty cheap

yeah i think i've heard that one's meant to be good, the arion is another cheapy that's meant to be good (but i haven't tried either).

the boss ce2 is pretty nice. there are a bunch of modern-made clones available.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dspellman
This is a good point. OTOH, backups are always important if you're gigging, and that's pretty much across the board. Ideally, you have one of the exact same thing in your backup kit (and that includes guitars, amps, pedals and even cables). That's not always economically possible (well SURE I have a backup Axe-FX II and a backup MC101 back in the car, and I keep the spare LP R9 in the Mono dual gig bag...doesn't everyone? <G>. I've actually got a Pod HD (the bean) and an FBV Express II foot pedal as a backup for the HD500, and it's programmed exactly the same as the HD500 is.

Honestly, I've never actually had a pedal OR a modeler go out <*knock on wood*>. But it certainly can.

well I haven't either but have seen it happen. still have a couple of old fx pedals that work fine. sold off my vintage ones but they still worked fine to.

Boss CE-2 gets plenty of love and the arion chorus is supposed to be good but not so cheap to buy. they are all plastic so not really gig worthy in the long haul, (still have an arion distortion pedal that works fine though)
Well here's my 2 cents. I just got back into playing after a few year hiatus. I chose to go with the HD500 to start for a few reasons. First off it's a nice tool/toy to have around, I can plug in my mp3 player into it and jam with headphones on anytime and not bother anyone and have the ability to easy record some tracks without anything extra hardware wise. The main reason I bought it though to start with is for the price of a few pedals (bought it used) I have so much at my disposal to get a better idea of what pedals I'd want to get be it what effect or how I want a certain effect to sound and see what I use the most. Now keep in mind that most multi-effect units lack most in the distortion/overdrive department but that wasn't a concern of mine as I use my amp for that.

If I was gigging in an original band I'd most likely run just pedals but for covers it's hard to beat the versatility of a multi-effect. When I played in an original band as a bass player I used a Boss GT6-B and loved it. I really only used a few effects most of the time but occasionally for an intro or something I could go crazy and didn't have to go buy something new.
Last edited by jaymz9350 at Dec 15, 2013,
I gone the other way arround I used a multi effect then went to single pedals when it died and honestly I like the single pedals better, it always feels like your stuck with the pedals of yesteryear and pale comparisons of what its supposed to be moddeling almost like a recording. I haven't tried a kempler yet but concidering the price difference for me id just stick with individual pedals.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
If i am playing a metal gig (think shadows fall, LOG through heavier ) I use four pedals. In *that* rig. I am playing through a mesa mark IV w/mesa cab and all i ever use anything other than Pitchblack<Fulltone Clyde, a timmy as a boost for channel 2 (main rhythm) and a Zendrive for channel 3 which is mainly for leads.

I do have to double tap the od with tbe footswitch and never have issue, practicing. is actually should be practiced, just like everything related to anything at some point.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Dec 16, 2013,
Go to ebay. Find a Boss CE2. Buy it, be happy. It will never fail you.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you go mfx, i was just thinking that maybe a pod xt floor model. Probably be simpler and much cheaper and if you keep it in the same condition and just resell it down the road it will depreciate.

Wont sound ad good but it will give you a low risk and a good experience.

Also regarding the single pedals if you want to change one pedal buy it.

Even bigger is that they are still what you have and don't want to upgrade every year or two, or three when the better version.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I've always wanted to like the POD HD500 as it does everything I could ever need and more.

Trouble is once I had it, I just couldn't get it how I wanted it. It always seemed to miss something.

It would be perfect for me because I'm only playing at home and jamming to CDs etc.

Back on topic - I have a G Major 2 Mfx that connects to my amp and sounds good to my ears. If your amp supports midi (or even if not), you could setup patches with one of those and never need to do the highland jig again.
Just my opinion, I would go ahead and just buy the chorus pedal now. GENERALLY a single effect pedal will outperform that one effect on MFX units. Since as of right now you only want a chorus pedal, get a used one and be happy with it. Maybe a few months from now you'll want a reverb, or a delay, or a dirt pedal. You'll still probably be better off with 2 or 3 pedals. I'm at 5 pedals, and don't really want anything else. I've spent about ~$300 on those five pedals. I'm happier with them than I would be with a $300 MFX unit. I bought all of these pedals used, I could resell them and make 90% back. So getting those pedals now didn't hurt anything. If I find myself needing 10 or 15 pedals and wanting to play through a PA speaker, then I can get a MFX unit and it will make perfect sense. The same goes for you, if you just want a few pedals plus an amp, get a few pedals plus an amp. If your pedalboard is getting to be three rows deep, it's time to get a MFX.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay