Hi there!

Looking for a new guitar and always have found the people here incredibly helpful and knowledgeable!

Short profile: I have been playing ever since I was 13. First guitar was a Squier and have grown attached to the stratocaster model and the baseball bat-like neck. The music I play ranges from 80's rock to blues (love to jam). Furthermore, I love to be able to get a very clear high quality tone (as budget goes) out of a guitar.

...which is why I find it hard to choose. I like to border between Stevie Ray Vaughan twanginess (love pentatonic shredding and double bending) and a crisp clear Porcupine Tree like tone (or Al di Meola for that matter). Speaking in terms of guitar, Fender strat or PRS. Very different guitars indeed.

Any suggestions?

Cheers!
something from the bolt on master race of danny and the rooster.

they'll be along shortly. look into reverends and G&Ls for a start.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.

For either of those, you'd probably have to look used...Godin should have something in the Session or Progression line, though!

http://www.musiciansbuy.com/godin-session.asp?oc=pa&pr=0_9999999999&b=
http://www.musiciansbuy.com/godin-progression-guitars.asp?oc=pa&pr=0_9999999999&b=
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 14, 2013,
Forgot these Godins:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EmpireMR/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BelmontBurg/

The Belmont, I think, does everything you want except have a tremolo- and there is a version of it which has a Bigsby.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BelmontBWh

The construction is Made in Canada good, and its pickups are a pair of Seymour Duncan Lipsticks (for clean, crips twang) in the middle and neck, partnered with a Seymour Duncan '59* in the bridge for some classic humbucking beef.

The Empire is a nice bit of kit as well, with Godin's own snarly little pickups, but it might not deliver the singlecoil tone you're seeking.

* one of my favorite SD humbuckers.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

2014 gibson SGM

sterling music man AX or JP series

PRS SE series

Ibanez AR series

ibanez S series

MIJ strat or G&L

REACH budget guitars:

Carvins
asian charvel san dimas models
revrends

key questions:

any interested in hollow body?
tremolo? or floyd?
scale length (gibson scale would rule out a LOT)

i just want to point out i am floored that gibson is offering autotuning on a gibson branded guitar that retails at 715.00 . what?
(cue the music) ....its a whole new woooooorrrrrld!!!!!!!!!

also 0 i recently messed with a sterling JP series on the really low end, and was impressed for about a 150 dollar guitar. i mean, i would play it. and i am picky. so i can imagine their higher end 650 dollar models being fairly impressive.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at Dec 14, 2013,

Great suggestions in one hour, thanks!

Additional remarks which I should have included right away.

I'm definitely going for a solid bridge. I love to bend strings while playing open ones which is impossible with a floyd rose.

Looking at the suggestions, I think I might have focussed to much on retro in my explanation, my apologies. I do love blues, but I am looking for a more modern blues tone. Ibanez might be an option, but I have trouble finding a regular line with a solid bridge and a round neck (the wizzard necks feels incredibly awkward to my hands).
Last edited by Envinyatar1987 at Dec 14, 2013,
Get a PRS SE. I have bought one of them for myself for about $550 new from musicians friend and never have regretted. it. It is the best guitar i have played on hands down. Its smooth on the neck its a wide thin and it plays like butter. It has a nice crisp tone to it and you can get the fender tone with the single coil mimic by pulling out one of the tone nobs. You wont regret it if you get one i promise.
Quote by Envinyatar1987

I'm definitely going for a solid bridge. I love to bend strings while playing open ones which is impossible with a floyd rose.

Looking at the suggestions, I think I might have focussed to much on retro in my explanation, my apologies. I do love blues, but I am looking for a more modern blues tone. Ibanez might be an option, but I have trouble finding a regular line with a solid bridge and a round neck (the wizzard necks feels incredibly awkward to my hands).

Given this additional info, I'll reiterate my suggestions of the Godin Belmont and those Reverends that I found that were hardtails.

JustRooster had an excellent NGD covering his new Reverend Jetstream, in which he very clearly explains the great tonal range you can get out of a Rev.

As for the Godin Belmont? Well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAI0JUbO6Uo

Alright! Visited a shop today and the PRS SE 245 was on sale! Tried it, fell in love, felt like I had to try some different guitars (liked the Godins!), but decided that they didn't come anywhere near the quality of the PRS. Great character in the tone and the sustain lasts for minutes. Just under $700 (500 euro) which is a great deal here in the Netherlands. Quite positive that I will bring it home tomorrow .

Thanks for the input guys. It's greatly appreciated!
PRS is a solid choice! You won't be sorry.