Hey it's almost christmas.

That means presents because I'm 7.

As a highly developed 7 year old/professional gigolo, I have been starting out recording some original stuff. With an old mp3 player for a mic, constant buzz from my old amp, and occasionally an empty 5 liter water bottle for some of dat percussion.

So Father Xmas, I want:

- To spend around 100 euros (preferably less);
- Basic equipment to record guitar and ambient sound effects (Amplitube is fine for the guitar, just need the hardware, and a mic for ambient recording...)
- World peas

Just to know all the options, a nice keyboard (please suggest both a midi controller and the real deal) would be nice, so I can put some nice samples and pretend I'm in Rammstein.

And don't tell me it's impossible to get all this for 100 euros, I know that. Just recommend some good price-quality relation stuff so that Xmas man has some choice.
There's a sticky about this in the Recordings forum, you should go read it.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
There's a sticky about this in the Recordings forum, you should go read it.

Which one? I've looked at them and I think this thread would be easier for me to get an answer that fits my needs (or have I looked in the wrong places?)
This one:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1541771

If you didn't read that thread & post in the Recordings forum, then yes - you have looked in the wrong places.

Read the first 4 or 5 posts & you'll see all the recommendations for the different options you have when you start recording, as well as some information about why other kit that people ask about isn't recommended.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
they probably don't have much for usb midi controllers.

there are quite a number around the 100 to 150 price range. i actually got a behringer one at one point, had quite a few knobs where i can assign midi controls to

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UMA25S.aspx

m audio also has similar stuff out there.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Thanks! I'm not sure how many keys I'll need. I'd want to actually play keyboard (as well as some samples) but I'm a complete beginner. Is there any advantage to having a midi controller instead of a keyboard?
Quote by Minicaxotinho
Well I don't see any mentions of keyboards... I'll check those threads again more thoroughly...

No, there aren't any keyboards... but it's full of "Basic equipment to record guitar and ambient sound effects".

Recording equipment is not a keyboard (barring using the keyboard solely to record midi, obviously). Recording equipment is recording equipment, a keyboard may or may not be one of the instruments you record with it .

The ambient sound effects you require can be created on your PC using virtual instruments.

To put it bluntly, for only 100 euros you will only get some cheap recording equipment - there's no chance of affording a worthwhile keyboard as well so if you need those sounds you'll have to think of another way of creating them. For that, virtual instruments is the answer.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Dec 14, 2013,
^^agreed gary. virtual instruments usually allow for some 'musical typing' and they can be programmed in edited via midi notation. i actually use those functionalities more than a midi controller.

Quote by Minicaxotinho
Thanks! I'm not sure how many keys I'll need. I'd want to actually play keyboard (as well as some samples) but I'm a complete beginner. Is there any advantage to having a midi controller instead of a keyboard?

i was just assuming that if you'd be recording on a computer, now that i look i don't actually see you saying that.

but if you do decide to go the computer recording route then you'll be using a DAW (digital audio workstation, it's software that facilitates recording. like Reaper, audacity, garageband, cubase, logic, etc). DAW's usually have a number of midi instruments already installed so i usually just use a usb midi controller to record with.

keyboards can also play without software instruments on a computer, so they can be used standalone and also be run into a recording interface (some standalone keyboards can also serve as a midi controller). midi controllers are not generally flexible like that. though there are plenty of free instruments online, the midi controller is more programmable, and messing with midi in a DAW allows for some really interesting editing options.

i actually have a regular keyboard right now, my midi controller walked off with my old drummer. the keyboard is huge, it's nice haven a little 25 key 'idea-pad' sitting in the studio. it's also nice to have a good sized ~80 key keyboard for live performance.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Dec 14, 2013,
This is better than yahoo answers
This made me more interested on a keyboard now, brb gonna find a job.

Thanks again guys