Hi all, this is the first time I'm restringing my classical guitar (using Red Augustine strings) and I'm having a very annoying problem with my B2 and E1 strings. I have the other lower strings stringed just fine, but when I try tightening the B2 or E1 strings, they refuse to go up that high. They'll actually start to lower in pitch as I increase the tension and I don't want to go too high in fear that they'll just snap. I've tried restringing both of those particular strings a couple times now and the same thing happens each time. In fact, as soon as it gets any higher than G3, that's when it starts lowering in pitch. When I let them rest for a bit, the high E string tunes down to G almost perfectly and the B string is actually lower than G. They just don't want to go to their "correct" pitches.

Any ideas what might be going on? I'm doing the same technique on these two strings as I did with the other four so I'm not sure what I could be doing wrong.
Have you secured the strings, on both the bridge and the rollers? There is a thread specifically on restringing guitars, take a look there.
They may be unwinding off the tuners as you're increasing the tension, causing the lowering in the pitch.

As mentioned, make sure you secure the strings at your headstock. The higher strings are thinner and I find they tend to unravel more easily. I don't think your bridge is the problem here.
Last edited by triface at Dec 14, 2013,
Nylons, especially the higher ones, are notorious for stretching when they are new. It may take a week to settle in.
In the meantime....First, make sure your strings are properly applied both at bridge and tuners. The standard knot used at the bridge can be (and often is...)reinforced for the high strings by using a simple overhand knot at the end of the string, which bumps up against the classical bridge knot.
At the tuner... Use the "locking" method where the string is passed under the first wrap....Here's the excellent page from Frets.com showing the method:

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/Classical/ClassicStr/classicstr1.html
Quote by Bikewer
Nylons, especially the higher ones, are notorious for stretching when they are new. It may take a week to settle in.
In the meantime....First, make sure your strings are properly applied both at bridge and tuners. The standard knot used at the bridge can be (and often is...)reinforced for the high strings by using a simple overhand knot at the end of the string, which bumps up against the classical bridge knot.
At the tuner... Use the "locking" method where the string is passed under the first wrap....Here's the excellent page from Frets.com showing the method:

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/Classical/ClassicStr/classicstr1.html

Yep I tried that method at least 3 different times over the course of the last couple of days and it just never works. This B string refuses to go any higher than standard G. I have no idea what is going on. I've noticed my rollers for the top two strings are a little loose (there is a bit of wiggle room when there is no string tightened to them) but I can't imagine why that would be causing the issue. Any other suggestions? I tried the above method and the method that I used for the other 4 strings and nothing seems to be working. Everything seems to be firmly secured at both the head and the bridge too.
So I just tried this method:

http://www.derek-hasted.co.uk/faqs/restring/

And it worked for my E string! Tried doing the same thing for my B string but still the same issue. I'm going to try to get another string. This one is very out of shape from the number of times I've tried tightening it.