Page 1 of 2
So, I live with my girlfriend, who is something of a neatnik. I currently have three guitars on stands in the living room, the ones in my sig. She can't believe that I actually use all of these on a near daily basis, which I do, and wants me to put them back in their cases in the spare bedroom. This will not happen, because I do still have balls, but it's a source of strife. I'm actually about to add a fourth, for drop tuning.

Can you guys post how many guitars you use/keep out and ready on a regular basis? I want to show her I'm not the only one. Thanks.

BTW: Getting rid of her is not an option, she's pretty hot.
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II, Seymour Duncan Jazz and '59.
ESP Horizon NT II
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Mesa 5:50 Express
Egnator Rebel 30
Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18
Last edited by Silver Hilton at Dec 14, 2013,
Quote by Silver Hilton
BTW: Getting rid of her is not an option, she's pretty hot.

Priorities.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
Priorities.

I already compromised and put the big amps in the back room. I'm not stupid.
ESP Horizon NT II
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Egnator Rebel 30
Yikes, yeah, my wife loves my guitars on display, so your situation is a bummer. At the moment I have eight guitars and two 1x12 tube amps proudly displayed (plus a substantial pedal board). I'm actually about to snag another amp, so I guess you could add that in to make your case.

If it's an issue of space, get a multi-guitar stand (that's what I use) or some wall hangers.

Tell her to get over it - do you complain about her hobbies?
OffsetOffset
Last edited by SteveHOC at Dec 14, 2013,
You gotta make more compromises man. She's not going to change her opinion because "several guys on the internet do it too!". I don't know what type of person she is but she might find it childish, I dunno.

Make up some bullshit about how when people come round they show what sort of person you are by them being artistic, and they add to the room in the same way a famous painting on the wall might.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Lavatain
You gotta make more compromises man. She's not going to change her opinion because "several guys on the internet do it too!". I don't know what type of person she is but she might find it childish, I dunno.

Why should he make more compromises? Not having something you need at hand is massively more inconvenient then having to look at something you don't use.

Leave them where they are and tell her to pack her things and get out if she complains.
Quote by Lavatain
You gotta make more compromises man.

I compromise quite a bit. I also pay all the bills.
ESP Horizon NT II
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Egnator Rebel 30
get a guitar rack that will fit with her decor ...... it's always a easier life when everybody gets along ..... I have a three guitar rack and usually have 4 guitars out of 8 sitting out ready to play , the other 4 in cases and I rotate them on a regular basis ...... I wouldn't compromised too much if you pay all the bills unless she's just that GOOD , and you know what I mean by that good !! , a freindly beaver , a good cook and clean house is always a big plus , so weigh it all out
Quote by Silver Hilton
I also pay all the bills.

i believe that counts for exactly nothing but i might be wrong
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Wall hangers. Guitars look less cluttery on the wall than on the floor. A bit more of a permanent option though.
talk to her about wal hangers they take up less space and they make guitars look more artsy and shit stuff and bitches love artsy stuff

or if your amps are in the back room how about making that extra room your guitar room?
My TV stand is a Marshall cab and I have anywhere between 2 and 5 guitars in the living room at one time (and the rest in our bedroom).
Well, I have 8 guitars (mixture of electric/bass/acoustic) on stands (one five in a row rack, one three in a circle rack) and then there's a mandolin floating about at any given time. There's also a Korg SV-1 and three amps. Then again, our second bedroom is a studio and three of those guitars are my girlfriend's because we have a band. She doesn't always understand why I have three electrics, but usually when one isn't sounding right and I swap for another, she will notice the difference - especially when recording.

Anyway, if all three of your guitars are on separate stands, that probably looks crappy, so get a rack that holds them all in a row, that will look much neater and from some angles, it will obscure two of them, making it look like it isn't taking up nearly as much space.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I'm somewhere around 20 guitars in the collection right now, 10 of which are either on instrument stands or hanging on the wall. They cover 2 tunings, acoustic & electric, a variety of pickups, and a fretless A/E bass.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
It's not such a big request really. Put some of the guitars away and keep your missus happy. simple. It's not as if she's asking you to sell them or anything.
put them in their cases.

how hard is it to open a case?

if you're going to make this work, you need to be a little wiser about picking your battles.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
put them in their cases.

how hard is it to open a case?

if you're going to make this work, you need to be a little wiser about picking your battles.

This.

Accepting defeat and letting her win doesn't mean you don't have any balls. Especially when it's such a stupid battle to begin with.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
I have 9 total. 8 are on stands, one on the floor, and one unfortunately in a case because it's too nice for the floor, but i dont have any more stands
My Electric Guitars:
Ibanez GSA60
Ibanez RG3EXFM1
Peavey Raptor Plus
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Squire Telecaster Affinity (Has many famous musicians signatures so only played once)
I have four. One usually left on the couch, one usually left laying on my bed, one usually leaning against my practice amp, and the bass sitting in the corner of the entry from when I had my last jam in which I used it.

I could invest in stands, but eh. Each one of the 3 gets played almost daily because I don't have to get up to go get any of the 3, haha.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Also until you can sprout a vagina she still holds the power, irregardless of you paying the bills. Not everyone understands the love or need for guitars, I have fought that battle before and have yet to win. I like the idea of the wall hangers and creating your own room. Like Dave said putting them in their case is not that difficult. Unless you are paying the bills with your music then I would negotiate maybe having one or two out at a time. The general public, aka-outside these forums, do not understand GAS and the need to have multiple guitars. Anyways, best of luck to you! Hopefully all goes well, and remember in the grand scheme if things how much of an issue is this really?
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
You should sell your girlfriend into slavery so you can afford more guitars.

But seriously dude, don't take relationship advice from the internet, and especially not from a guitar forum, haha.
Quote by bobafettacheese
Also until you can sprout a vagina she still holds the power, irregardless of you paying the bills. Not everyone understands the love or need for guitars, I have fought that battle before and have yet to win. I like the idea of the wall hangers and creating your own room. Like Dave said putting them in their case is not that difficult. Unless you are paying the bills with your music then I would negotiate maybe having one or two out at a time. The general public, aka-outside these forums, do not understand GAS and the need to have multiple guitars. Anyways, best of luck to you! Hopefully all goes well, and remember in the grand scheme if things how much of an issue is this really?

Quote by bobafettacheese
Also until you can sprout a vagina she still holds the power, irregardless of you paying the bills.

Quote by bobafettacheese
irregardless of you paying the bills.

Quote by bobafettacheese
irregardless

what is this?
My Electric Guitars:
Ibanez GSA60
Ibanez RG3EXFM1
Peavey Raptor Plus
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Squire Telecaster Affinity (Has many famous musicians signatures so only played once)
ir·re·gard·less
ˌiriˈgärdlis/
adjective & adverbinformal
1. regardless.

Google.
OffsetOffset
do you have rediculous BC rich, dimebag looking things? that would be understandable.

for all other reasons - hell no. i dont care if i date beyonce and shes grabs me by the balls when shes demands it, they are not going anywhere. wall hangers would be the next options.

and perhaps i consider my carvin darn near a work of art, and when people see it....they walk backwards, stop, and say "......whoaaaaa". and i am like "(f**k) yeah....."

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1615856&highlight=new+carvin+day
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by Silver Hilton

Can you guys post how many guitars you use/keep out and ready on a regular basis? I want to show her I'm not the only one. Thanks.

I have no guitars on stands in the living room or elsewhere. All my guitars are in cases. It has nothing to do with neatniks; I live in LA and need to contend with earthquakes, clumsy friends and athletic cats.

If you have a spare bedroom, you should probably consider making that your mancave/music room. Living rooms are generally common areas (read: girlfriend's domain). You need to understand the delicate balance between hot girlfriend and your need to keep a bunch of guitars out where she considers them an eyesore and a decorating challenge, grasshoppah.
Quote by shounakghosh7
what is this?
\

It's like flammable and inflammable. Extra letters signifying nothing.
I know the feeling.

My ex thought seven guitars was a bit excessive.

There's a reason why she's an ex...
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I can't believe how few balls there are between you people.

Not only do you seem to condone that the bitch doesn't even help pay the ****ing bills, but you advise this guy to basically do whatever she says.

Grow a pair, stand your ground and kick the bitch out if she complains. Trust me, your life will be infinitely better when you don't accept being a slave.
Yep. This is just the thin tip of the wedge. You aren't even married to her yet. It will get worse, and as soon as you start thinking about a family, your space allocated for music will shrink to exactly zero and you will then be under pressure to sell off most of your gear, because you won't be using it much anyway (in her eyes). Get rid of her now, or be prepared to pay a hefty price in the future. Also, she won't be hot forever, and it doesn't sound like she has any other redeeming qualities.
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
Quilter 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
does she have a job at least?
My Electric Guitars:
Ibanez GSA60
Ibanez RG3EXFM1
Peavey Raptor Plus
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Those are really nice guitars! Compromise by hanging them on the wall as decorations when not in use. I'm sure she'll go for that.
Quote by Silver Hilton
She can't believe that I actually use all of these on a near daily basis, which I do, and wants me to put them back in their cases in the spare bedroom.

Well if she lives with you there should be no argument there! Either you use them and she can tell, or you don't and she can either! :-D
Quote by DanishViking

Not only do you seem to condone that the bitch doesn't even help pay the ****ing bills, but you advise this guy to basically do whatever she says.

Grow a pair, stand your ground and kick the bitch out if she complains. Trust me, your life will be infinitely better when you don't accept being a slave.

Can't say it seemed like a very good relationship to begin with if "being hot" is her only positive aspect.

Can't say the creator of this thread sounds like much of an amazing guy either.

I went there.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Well I have an entire room dedicated to guitars and equipment, so it doesn't really count as "on display".

My agreement with my girlfriend was that I can have as many guitars as she can have pairs of shoes, which was a stupid agreement on her part.

I would say in a communal room, like a lounge, putting a bunch of guitars in there would just clutter it up and risk them getting damaged. Although that said, if I didn't have my own room for them that is exactly what I would have to do.
I have 2 string swings in my living room and my PRS and what ever other guitar I feel like goes on the wall. That way I told my wife it is art and she thinks the guitars are "pretty"
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by DanishViking

no dumbass, we said pick your battles.

"kick the bitch out if she complains"... solid plan.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Just do the case...or do her well enough that she changes her mind lol.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Page 1 of 2