Hi. I'm a 6 string bass player (thats BEADGC). I have found an 8 String guitar for a VERY Cheap price (like 30% off or something like that). Should I get it? Will I be able to adapt my ideas over? I was thinking of tuning it F#,B,E,A,D,G,C,F so it would be in all fourths like a bass. Is it a waste of money to by an instrument that I might not engage with? Tell me from your experience on whether I should buy it or not please.
Gear:

J&D JD150 (YUCK)
ESP LTD D6
Modified Cort P (Fretless conversion)

Gallien Kreuger GKMB210 MKII

yup
Last edited by chandlerPass at Dec 16, 2013,
Play it first, if not that exact one then something similar, and then see if you connect with it. It's hard to buy a guitar/bass without playing it first.
Well, sort of. Your ideas can transfer over, but don't make the mistake of thinking bass and guitar are the same.
And don't tune it in 4ths. The usual tuning for an 8 string is: F#, B, E, A, D, G, B, & E. Learn the instrument in standard tuning first. You need to understand the chordal nature of guitar (vs. the rhythmic nature of bass). You can't treat them the same. Also, simple things like string spacing will take time to adjust to.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Dec 14, 2013,
They are pretty similar instruments but as crazysam said, they have different roles.

But yeah, same techniques apply to both instruments and the notes on the fretboard are the same. I don't see anything wrong with being able to play two instruments. Many bassists can also play the guitar and many guitarists can also play the bass. If you are going to write original songs, it's good to be able to write for both guitar and bass, and I think it's easier to write for an instrument if you can play it.

And I also agree with crazysam about the tuning thing. Play it in standard tuning first. It makes chord playing easier and you don't need to learn anything new if you decide to buy a 6 string guitar later - it has the same 6 highest strings of an 8 string guitar.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
get a 7 string bass. with the btb 7 we have an affordable high quality product (the other being the GTBD-7 which is $1800 and the standard model being about the same level as an $800 non-ERG for $1200 which makes it difficult to make the plunge knowing you're going into it wanting an upgrade)

i'm probably gonna have to get an 8 string bass built eventually with a 33-30" fanned scale but i don't make that kinda money just yet

8 string guitar is very fun but similarly, you need to pay to get a quality product. between getting properly voiced amp/pre-amp rig to suit the timbre of a guitar, and having to invest nearly $2k before you hit an "industry standard" an ERB is simply cheaper until you get into true boutique, post-7 stuff. the only exception is the carvin DC800, but it's still gonna run you a nice chunk of change if you want more than raw wood and a one-piece maple neck lol

if you're trying to spend over $2k, a guitar will be cheaper in the long run if you're running a PC-centric studio rig and get an Axe-FX to adapt to biamping and get the best of both worlds for both your instruments, but that's a budget most of us aren't afforded prior to taking music to a very serious level and working at it for a long time.

don't get an RGA8 or anything like that. buy cheap, buy twice. anything under $1k is going to be plywood as far as extended range is concerned due to the upcharge on development and the lack of strong electronics without rewiring it yourself/with a tech and going aftermarket, and even then with that investment you may as well get a 2228 or the carvin.

Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Well, sort of. Your ideas can transfer over, but don't make the mistake of thinking bass and guitar are the same.
And don't tune it in 4ths. The usual tuning for an 8 string is: F#, B, E, A, D, G, B, & E. Learn the instrument in standard tuning first. You need to understand the chordal nature of guitar (vs. the rhythmic nature of bass). You can't treat them the same. Also, simple things like string spacing will take time to adjust to.

thinking like that gets us nowhere. people like scott fernandez and evan brewer are constantly pushing the envelope of what a bass can do melodically and chordally and acting like a bass can't play chords or a guitar can't support a bass line is absolutely foolish.
Last edited by Hail at Dec 15, 2013,
Thank you guys for the quick response. And to Hail, a 7 string bass might be okay, but i like idea of both having 8 strings for chord voicing options, like tosin abasi and also being an octave up will be fun to experiment with also. I listen to alot of that style of music and like the idea of messing with it.

Plus I'm with you on the fact that an 8 string single course bass will cost to much

I'm confident that I will buy this guitar now. If you must know it's an Ibanez S8QMTRB.
Gear:

J&D JD150 (YUCK)
ESP LTD D6
Modified Cort P (Fretless conversion)

Gallien Kreuger GKMB210 MKII

yup
Last edited by chandlerPass at Dec 16, 2013,
just as a heads up if you live in the US zzounds.com has an ibanez RG2228 for only $1500 this week and you can break it into 12 small payments over a year (or less depending on how you finance it)

http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBARG2228

i've used the site before and they're good about taking care of their customers as long as you keep up with the payments on time and $125 is quite reasonable unless you're in high school or working at mcdonalds