So I currently got .009 gauge strings on my EVH wolfgang which is set up for 9's. Do you think I'll have to lower the spring tension if I go to a lower string gauge? Do you think the floyd rose bridge will work fine with the 8's or do you think they'll have a frequency to snap if I try dive bombs?
8s have a tendency to break period. I have arthritis and use the heaviest guage I can get away with (9s) and I still tear the top E off at times pretending to be Gary Moore
Yes, you will probably have to tweak your setup a little.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Mav69
Do you think I'll have to lower the spring tension if I go to a lower string gauge?

yes, if you change the gauge of your strings on a FR then you will need to have your guitar re-setup.

Quote by Mav69
Do you think the floyd rose bridge will work fine with the 8's or do you think they'll have a frequency to snap if I try dive bombs?

you'll need a new setup anyway, but 8's are known to break a lot.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
when you lower the tension of the strings (changing to lower gauge its one way) the strings also need less strength for bending, including dive bombs, so just after making some tweaks on the springs and intonating it would be actually easier to do dive bombs.

Down side of the thiner strings is that they break more than heavier, but giving them some care and blablabla you'll be fine lmL y use .009 in D standar and im a huge lover of tremolo
It'll work fine if you don't really use the tremolo, but if you do then you'll need to set it up. It's just loosening the springs, the intonation and truss rod most likely won't need adjustments.
Peavey 6505+ Head (Left)
Line 6 Spider IV HD150 Head (Right)
Marshall 1960A 4x12
ESP DV-8
Ibanez RG T42DX
Agile Hornet Pro 727
Quote by Cathbard
8s have a tendency to break period. I have arthritis and use the heaviest guage I can get away with (9s) and I still tear the top E off at times pretending to be Gary Moore
Yes, you will probably have to tweak your setup a little.

+1 anything less than 9's is rubber band material. especially with old guys

I use 9's on my PRS but other than that I use 10-52 on all my guitars. Why **** with a Ferrari if it's running just fine
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Dec 14, 2013,