I've got a Strat with a maple neck and single coil pickups. They are cheap ceramic coils and I want to upgrade, but I'm thinking about possibly going to humbuckers instead. Or maybe HSS. I just dont know which would be better or if I could coil split the humbuckers and get close to single coil tones.

Just looking for some ideas.
Why? Looking for higher output? What are you trying to achieve?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Not necessarily higher output. The first guitar I had was a Strat and that was like 10 or 11 years ago. A year later I bought an LP and just stuck with the humbucker sound.

I play alot of blues and classic rock. I like tones like Joe Bonamassa/Gary Moore/Angus Young, but I also like stuff like Jimi Hendrix/Eric Clapton/SRV. So Im sort of torn.
HSS is your best bet. Maybe go for a Seymour Duncan JB, they are 4 conductor pups so you can add a tap switch for your sc bridge sound. As for the single coils I like Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders but I am not really a fan of sc pups apart from on teles so ............ :shrug

And in the neck, maybe:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/stratocaster/medium-output/little_59_for_s/

Also splittable.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Dec 14, 2013,
I guess I forgot to mention that I'm also on like a $100 or so budget. I dont really want to dump a lot of money into this guitar.

That being said, I've had some luck with GFS pickups before, although I've only used them like twice. But I looked around last night on YouTube and liked the sound of the full set of Lil Killer pickups. I dont know about the overwound single coils that GFS sells, because I really hate 60 cycle hum.

I know there was alot more to SRV/Hendrix/Clapton's tones than just the pickups. But I also saw several videos last night where people using humbuckers were getting really good Clapton/SRV tones.