This purchase happened on Wednesday actually but I didn't get time to post until now. I paid $250 USD for the guitar, a hardshell case, and a Fender Mustang 1 amp that's still under warranty. The guy who I bought the guitar from changed the pickups to Gibson dirty fingers in the bridge and Gibson 490r in the neck. The bridge and tuners were changed to chrome Gibson parts and all the pots/caps/wiring have been upgraded to match a Gibson Les Paul as well. I think I'm getting a good Les Paul tone out of my Peavey 6505+ but I haven't played Gibson's enough to be able to really tell. I'm not sure if it's really a custom or a standard with a changed truss rod cover because it doesn't have the split diamond inlay in the headstock like I thought customs were supposed to have. It still has a bound neck and body so I think that means it has to be at least a standard. Let me know what you think.

Looks beautiful! Couldn't tell you anything about it, but it's a great looking guitar!
OffsetOffset
Quote by bigben7
thats a standard. Not a custom. I have a custom

whats the difference between standard and custom besides the inlays? this one is still bound at the neck and body and all the parts are better than custom because its gibson everything except for the wood. it has a maple cap/veneer too
My Electric Guitars:
Ibanez GSA60
Ibanez RG3EXFM1
Peavey Raptor Plus
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Squire Telecaster Affinity (Has many famous musicians signatures so only played once)
i have one too, the headstock should have binding/gibson custom emblem on it
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
i'm no epi expert, but the bridge posts seem wrong for an epi.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
i'm no epi expert, but the bridge posts seem wrong for an epi.

the previous owner upgraded all the hardware
My Electric Guitars:
Ibanez GSA60
Ibanez RG3EXFM1
Peavey Raptor Plus
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Squire Telecaster Affinity (Has many famous musicians signatures so only played once)
Quote by shounakghosh7
whats the difference between standard and custom besides the inlays? this one is still bound at the neck and body and all the parts are better than custom because its gibson everything except for the wood. it has a maple cap/veneer too

This is not a custom -- it's a standard. I'm not sure exactly how Epiphones do this, but with Gibsons the headstock and body are multi-layer bound (this one is single bound on the body and not bound at all on the headstock) while the fretboard is single-bound. On both the Epiphone Custom and the Gibson custom, the BACK of the guitar is also multi-layer bound. This one is not. Inlays on a Custom are always blocks. On a Gibson custom, the fretboard is ebony (on an Epiphone it's rosewood) and the block inlays are real MOP -- couldn't tell you if that holds true on all Epiphone Customs. But the blocks include the first fret (this one has standard type trapezoids that start at the third fret)The maple cap/veneer has nothing to do with anything -- in fact, most Gibson Customs (the black ones, at least) have a solid mahogany body with NO maple cap.

Honestly, putting Gibson parts on the guitar is not necessarily an improvement. It *can* be, but don't count on that being true just because he said it was.

The bridge pickup is NOT a Gibson pickup, for example.
Last edited by dspellman at Dec 15, 2013,
Quote by dspellman
This is not a custom -- it's a standard. I'm not sure exactly how Epiphones do this, but with Gibsons the headstock and body are multi-layer bound (this one is single bound on the body and not bound at all on the headstock) while the fretboard is single-bound. On both the Epiphone Custom and the Gibson custom, the BACK of the guitar is also multi-layer bound. This one is not. Inlays on a Custom are always blocks. On a Gibson custom, the fretboard is ebony (on an Epiphone it's rosewood) and the block inlays are real MOP -- couldn't tell you if that holds true on all Epiphone Customs. But the blocks include the first fret (this one has standard type trapezoids that start at the third fret)The maple cap/veneer has nothing to do with anything -- in fact, most Gibson Customs (the black ones, at least) have a solid mahogany body with NO maple cap.

Honestly, putting Gibson parts on the guitar is not necessarily an improvement. It *can* be, but don't count on that being true just because he said it was.

The bridge pickup is NOT a Gibson pickup, for example.

the bridge pup is definitely gibson. its a gibson dirty fingers. its written on the pup itself. and the changing the hardware is definitely an upgrade too. it may not be that big of an upgrade but in most cases gibson>epiphone. and the wiring change is a definite upgrade too.
My Electric Guitars:
Ibanez GSA60
Ibanez RG3EXFM1
Peavey Raptor Plus
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Last edited by shounakghosh7 at Dec 15, 2013,
$250 is still a good price for a "customized" Epi LP Standard, case & amp.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
That's totally an Epiphone LP Standard with an LP Custom Truss Rod Cover.

There's no diamond inlay on the headstock, the fretboard inlays are that of a standard, there is no headstock binding or binding on the back of the body.

It seems strange that the bridge has been replaced with a Gibson ABR1 as well. There's nothing really wrong with what comes stock on an Epiphone.

Also lol @ the GIO in the background. I have that exact one and it's terrible.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 15, 2013,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
That's totally an Epiphone LP Standard with an LP Custom Truss Rod Cover.

There's no diamond inlay on the headstock, the fretboard inlays are that of a standard, there is no headstock binding or binding on the back of the body.

It seems strange that the bridge has been replaced with a Gibson ABR1 as well. There's nothing really wrong with what comes stock on an Epiphone.

Also lol @ the GIO in the background. I have that exact one and it's terrible.

haha it was my first guitar and i remember the summer of 9th grade i would literally put like 8 hours into it a day trying to learn slash's solos so the 12 fret is almost shaved all the way down. theres also a burr in the bridge saddle of the 4th string. i still want to restore it somehow. i think the guy changed the bridge because he wanted gold plated chrome on the entire guitar. the original bridge was just chrome so the color would be weird
My Electric Guitars:
Ibanez GSA60
Ibanez RG3EXFM1
Peavey Raptor Plus
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
The only thing that's custom here is the truss rod cover. For all the reasons mentioned before, its a lower model.

Interesting comment about the pick up not being genuine, looks just like my genuine Burstbucker Pro in my Gibson. All except for the pick up ring screws which are shiny here where as mine are black. Hardly a whopping difference.
Quote by shounakghosh7
the bridge pup is definitely gibson. its a gibson dirty fingers. its written on the pup itself. and the changing the hardware is definitely an upgrade too. it may not be that big of an upgrade but in most cases gibson>epiphone. and the wiring change is a definite upgrade too.

Interesting. I have several original Gibson Dirty Fingers, and none of them have any writing on them. Another poster says it looks just like his Burstbucker Pro. I guess I have to pay attention if Gibson's going to start scrawling stuff on its pickups now. On the other hand, Les Paul Custom is written right on the TRC itself, and the guitar's not a Custom. I'm not sure that Gibson hardware is all that much of an advance over Epiphone's. I'm not sure what about the wiring is an upgrade, exactly...
Last edited by dspellman at Dec 16, 2013,
Quote by dspellman
Interesting. I have several original Gibson Dirty Fingers, and none of them have any writing on them. Another poster says it looks just like his Burstbucker Pro. I guess I have to pay attention if Gibson's going to start scrawling stuff on its pickups now. On the other hand, Les Paul Custom is written right on the TRC itself, and the guitar's not a Custom. I'm not sure that Gibson hardware is all that much of an advance over Epiphone's. I'm not sure what about the wiring is an upgrade, exactly...

Go to guitarcenter.com gibson dirty fingers are supposed to say dirty fingers on them. Maybe yours doesn't say that because it came stock on your guitar and they didn't wanna ruin the aesthetics of an expensive guitar with text on the pups. And look up upgrading wiring. Its one of the supposed easy upgrades that's encouraged to do with all cheap guitars along with changing the pups
My Electric Guitars:
Ibanez GSA60
Ibanez RG3EXFM1
Peavey Raptor Plus
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by dspellman

I can say without a doubt that upgrading the stock Epiphone guts(pots, jack, switch) is better. I changed mine out to CTS pots and Switchcraft jack and switch and the difference is noticeable. Less muddy and better tone control response. It may not justify a bump in the resell price, but for playability it's worth it.

Custom or not, that's a good deal the OP got. Only thing I'd change is to get rid of those kidney bean tuner buttons for some gold keystones.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7