Hey! I'm trying to learn songs that are way past my skill level and though they're difficult, with a lot of time and patience i'm picking them up. Is this worth while to build my technique, finger strength, and dexterity quickly or am i just wasting my time when i should be focusing on easier songs that are more my speed? I want to develop technique as fast as possible so i can implement a wider variety of chords and such in my song-writing. For example, i'm learning Little Wing by Jimi Hendrix right now because i want to develop my skill with double-stops and legato, but again - the song is far past my skill level and i have to repeat certain licks many, many time before i can play them properly.
If you find this entertaining and you're noticing improvements then there's nothing wrong. Typically though most people get very bored, almost insanely bored of practicing one segment of a song over and over.
Quote by onelightminute
Yes. /thread

No.

There's such a thing as a challenge, but to learn something much much beyond your skill level can be very detrimental to your playing. There are many songs that you will never be able to play no matter how much you practice. Recognize songs that pose a challenge and songs that are merely not possible. If you continue to practice those impossible songs over and over it is highly highly likely you will develop bad playing habits (it happened for me in my early days). A lot of beginners immediately want to jump into the coolest and most crazy music they can, but unfortunately that's not how it works. I've been playing nearly 5 years and there are still plenty of songs that i wont even touch because i know it's a waste of time. It might sound discouraging, but learn to appreciate the songs you can't play for what they are, and maybe in a few months, maybe a year, maybe several years.. THEN maybe you'll be able to take up the challenge.
Also, if it sounds like I'm completely ruling out challenging yourself then i very much am not. Some challenges just need to be put on hold for a while until you improve.
Last edited by vayne92 at Dec 15, 2013,
Quote by vayne92
No.

There's such a thing as a challenge, but to learn something much much beyond your skill level can be very detrimental to your playing. There are many songs that you will never be able to play no matter how much you practice. Recognize songs that pose a challenge and songs that are merely not possible. If you continue to practice those impossible songs over and over it is highly highly likely you will develop bad playing habits (it happened for me in my early days). A lot of beginners immediately want to jump into the coolest and most crazy music they can, but unfortunately that's not how it works. I've been playing nearly 5 years and there are still plenty of songs that i wont even touch because i know it's a waste of time. It might sound discouraging, but learn to appreciate the songs you can't play for what they are, and maybe in a few months, maybe a year, maybe several years.. THEN maybe you'll be able to take up the challenge.
Also, if it sounds like I'm completely ruling out challenging yourself then i very much am not. Some challenges just need to be put on hold for a while until you improve.

This would be /thread.

I find challenging myself the only way to improve (obviously), but overdo it and you'll end up very frustrated and burn yourself out. Either that or you'll end up compromising on technique and winging it.
What Vayne said. You want to practice stuff you can't do yet, but you don't want to practice stuff you CAN'T do yet, if you know what i am saying.

There is, as said, a difference between a challenge and practicing something that is impossible for you at the moment.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
The best way to progress is to set yourself realistic, achievable short-term goals - things that will challenge you but won't prove impossible.

Arguably you can learn anything you want given enough time and effort, but it's perfectly possible to spend 6 months doing nothing but hamering away at Cliffs of Dover before you're ready for it and not really get close to being able to play it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Gelatinbeartrap
with a lot of time and patience i'm picking them up.

Oh, so they are difficult, but not too difficult where you cannot pick them up? Sounds like you are doing what you should be and it can be inferred that you know some good practice techniques if you are making progress.

Answer is still yes.

Both vertical and horizontal growth are necessary to become a good guitar player and musician. You will never grow vertically without challenging yourself. Anything in life worth having or doing is worth working at.

Quote by vaynesomething
There are many songs that you will never be able to play no matter how much you practice.

Stopped reading as soon as I read that because you immediately strike me as a negative thinker. Your statement is simply not true. You can slow anything down to the point where you can play it. So what if he can only play Cliffs of Dover at half tempo after working on it for months? If he assimilates the song (that is to say, understands the music behind it so that he can make his own using similar ideas) then he can now use the ideas contained within the song at tempos or rhythmic divisions that are comfortable to him, and isn't that the point of learning a song anyway? To expand your vocabulary?

/thread

/again
Last edited by onelightminute at Dec 15, 2013,